“Every detail covered...almost”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bernardsville
Morristown, New Jersey
“Every detail covered...almost”
Reviewed 28 April 2013

My husband and I just spent a night at the Bernards Inn and dined at the restaurant to celebrate my birthday. We chose the package that included the 6-course tasting meal and booked online. Even though there was a wedding in the hotel, we were able to book a small suite that was well-appointed with historic art and beautiful linens. The walls could use a fresh coat of paint and the carpet needs a cleaning, but we were comfortable and well-served. Absolutely every employee we encountered at the inn was top-notch; we've stayed at some beautiful properties and the Bernards Inn staff is unparalleled. Dinner was out of this world and the wait staff was well-informed and professional. Breakfast was delicious and we were able to take our time on a Sunday morning. The only disappointment was that the staff did not recognize my birthday, despite asking us a number of times if we were visiting for a special occasion. I wasn't looking for singing waiters, but when you are asked by the hotel, and you see other birthdays celebrated by the staff, an expectation was set but not met.

Even so, we had a very nice evening and will look back fondly on an extraordinary meal in a romantic setting.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 March 2013

I'm going to have to find more excuses to make my way to Bernardsville - because my stay at this fantastic hotel was absolutely memorable and worth the trip alone. Set up like a stately mansion, complete with roaring fireplace in the lobby and gorgeous dark wood accents, I felt like I was being pampered and treated royally the moment I set foot inside.

Each room is unique and wonderfully comfortable, sporting massive beds, stylish bathrooms and plenty of storage space. Take a peek in their wine cellar and wedding reception area even if you're just staying a day or two - they are not to be missed. Also, have a meal in the adjacent restaurant - I mean really, the culinary delights offered there have to be the best around. Fresh blueberry sorbet was a highlight!

Staff was charming and helpful, always smiling and asking if I needed anything. Wifi is complimentary, as are bathroom amenities. Everything was perfect, right down to the turndown service with a little chocolate emblazoned with "B". Who does that anymore?! Such a treat to see a hotel take pride in what they offer their guests, it was refreshing, fun and classy.

Room Tip: I adored the "Mayfield"...saw the bridal suites too, so pretty and welcoming!
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed 21 January 2013

The Bernards Inn feels like a place out of a fairy tale or storybook. It provided the perfect backdrop for my brother's wedding, but even without such a celebration going on, it was the best hotel I ever stayed at. My room was comfortable and quaint, the staff was helpful and friendly. The food, for the most part, was ok. I loved the tea service in the lobby each morning. My biggest complaint was the street noise and the noise from another reception one evening. My room was on the front of the hotel on the second floor and must have also been above the reception room, because I was kept awake into the wee hours of the morning one night by car noise and boisterous revelers. Overall, though, I can't wait to plan my next visit to the Inn!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Lulu A
Millburn, New Jersey
Reviewed 16 November 2012

Overall, we were pleasantly surprise since we tend to favor more modern spa or hotel accommodations. The Inn is situated in "downtown" Bernardsville across from the train station with its parking lot on the main county road; not a country setting. Suggest you request a room away from the front of the building if you are sensitive to light and street noises. Mind you there's not a lot of traffic to begin with; the street noise and traffic was not an issue for us and we were on the front face of the building.

The good stuff; definitely the nicest B&B type (no free breakfast) establishment we've been. The Inn is period decorated. The foyer and lobby are very comfortable and welcoming with working fireplace. When we arrived, there was live music in the busy restaurant/bar just off the lobby. Our room (#12) was very richly decorated and well furnished. The large bathroom distinctly reminded me of Normandy's Hotel Churchill’s fine accommodations; just my own odd reflection upon the colors, tile and toilette layout. Room had wonderful original antique artwork and many period pieces. I looked and they're for real, pretty neat and worthy of any collection.

In summary, if you are in the tie-dye or mod crowd or can't appreciate old school, then this is not the place for you. On the other hand, if you want to step back in time in a richly appointed Inn and rub shoulders with the one percenters (while they are enjoying their charming, natural country club-like setting (and where the staff is most attentive), then you have most definitely arrived.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the front of building would be quieter.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jerseyrich
Plymouth, Massachusetts
Reviewed 12 November 2012

Very nice hotel, very nice staff. Room (number 22) was a bit tired and the bed was awful, but the place was in general very cute. Decor in the room is fairly dated (really did remind me of my grandmother's house, down to the colors). The restaurant is very nice. I went shortly after Hurricane Sandy, booked last minute. I had a little trouble finding the place, but they were very helpful.

I was not there long enough to see much of the town, but it looked very cute.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
NJ
Reviewed 3 November 2012

In trying to find a bit of luxury after Sandy, we made a reservation over the internet. They claimed - internet, great lodging and food. It was followed up with an Email confirmation. After making the trip fraught with downed wires and trees it was closed and had been when the reservation was accepted. Not at all pleased and was forced to try to make back up plans. Very poor service BUT it gets worse. They sent me an email thanking me for staying and hoped I had a great stay. Checking to make sure they did not fraudulently charge my credit card.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank D0c
Mendham, New Jersey
Reviewed 26 October 2012

Very nice stay. Very Attentive staff. Nice from start to finish. Little out of way, but well worth it for attention shown. Will soon return. Oh, did I mention the food! Rooms recently renovated and it showed, very pleased.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank mstarstew
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bernardsville
Dolce Basking Ridge
#1 of 1 in Livingston
Courtyard Basking Ridge
Courtyard Basking Ridge
#3 of 4 in Basking Ridge

Been to Bernards Inn? Share your experiences!