“Fine Dining in sleepy New Jersey”
Review of Bernards Inn

Bernards Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bernardsville
Reviewed 13 July 2013

Picked out this hotel as a convenient stop over not too far (about 25/30 miles) from Newark Airport. Bernardsville is a prosperous little town and The Bernards Inn is definitely a place I would go back to. There's plenty of dedicated parking a block away from the hotel and disabled access. The style is a bit like a country house, lots of original paintings, high ceilings and traditional decor. The room we had was up two flights of stairs; quite an effort to lug the bags up, although there was a bell boy and I could have used him if I had to. It was reasonably spacious and had all the usual facilities. The folks on reception were very friendly and helpful. The restaurant was a big surprise - fine dining with prices to match, but we did get a $50 voucher to offset costs and this made it an affordable meal for 3. Food was outstanding with an inventive menu and superb service. Breakfast the following morning was equally good; served in the lovely spacious restaurant which still retained an intimate feel. Oh, and there's a first class wine cellar to cater for all tastes and budgets and a lovely bar to enjoy them in.

A lovely surprise. You might want to check out other dining options; there are plenty in town, if you're on a strict budget.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 13 June 2013

We came to the area from NC for a cooking school dinner at nearby Natirar hosted by our son's fiancée 's aunt and uncle who live nearby. Very beautiful and elegant and I love and appreciated the slanted floors that the other reviewer disdained. Very professional and respectful staff, my only dislikes were we had to carry luggage ourselves upstairs( no elevator) and we had no control over our thermostat ( one has to call the front desk to request changes) which we did not like. Other than that it is elegant and well located, not too much to do in town but worked well for our overnight visit to Natirar....did eat lunch upon arriving but was overpriced for lunch, did not eat dinner or visit lovely bar.

Room Tip: Not many rooms, we chose the king which was Claremont I believe overlooking the street and train sta...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 May 2013

My wife and I were visiting friends in Bernardsville and when we went to our room, the stairs creaked all the way up and the place just was old and run down. When we got to the room, the floor was crooked and the bed was on a slant. Needless to say, we could not sleep there so we went down and spoke to the front desk and were told that they had a full house and that they could not refund our money. I was shocked because as I explained to them, the accomodations were totally unacceptable. Plus if they had a full house, why would they care if I did not like the place. They did not care and refused to cancel my reservation and return my money. I had booked through expedia and they tried too but no luck. This place cares more about the money instead of having a happy guest. Not sure where the people who give this place a good review stayed but it can't be the same place where I was.
I would never ever stay in this place and feel sorry for anyone who is unlucky to book it without seeing what you are really getting. Remember, once you book, you're stuck so don't book this place. There are much better, nicer places up the road in Parsipany.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel. Parsipany offers many very nice places. Do not stay here. They value the al...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 April 2013

My husband and I just spent a night at the Bernards Inn and dined at the restaurant to celebrate my birthday. We chose the package that included the 6-course tasting meal and booked online. Even though there was a wedding in the hotel, we were able to book a small suite that was well-appointed with historic art and beautiful linens. The walls could use a fresh coat of paint and the carpet needs a cleaning, but we were comfortable and well-served. Absolutely every employee we encountered at the inn was top-notch; we've stayed at some beautiful properties and the Bernards Inn staff is unparalleled. Dinner was out of this world and the wait staff was well-informed and professional. Breakfast was delicious and we were able to take our time on a Sunday morning. The only disappointment was that the staff did not recognize my birthday, despite asking us a number of times if we were visiting for a special occasion. I wasn't looking for singing waiters, but when you are asked by the hotel, and you see other birthdays celebrated by the staff, an expectation was set but not met.

Even so, we had a very nice evening and will look back fondly on an extraordinary meal in a romantic setting.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 March 2013

I'm going to have to find more excuses to make my way to Bernardsville - because my stay at this fantastic hotel was absolutely memorable and worth the trip alone. Set up like a stately mansion, complete with roaring fireplace in the lobby and gorgeous dark wood accents, I felt like I was being pampered and treated royally the moment I set foot inside.

Each room is unique and wonderfully comfortable, sporting massive beds, stylish bathrooms and plenty of storage space. Take a peek in their wine cellar and wedding reception area even if you're just staying a day or two - they are not to be missed. Also, have a meal in the adjacent restaurant - I mean really, the culinary delights offered there have to be the best around. Fresh blueberry sorbet was a highlight!

Staff was charming and helpful, always smiling and asking if I needed anything. Wifi is complimentary, as are bathroom amenities. Everything was perfect, right down to the turndown service with a little chocolate emblazoned with "B". Who does that anymore?! Such a treat to see a hotel take pride in what they offer their guests, it was refreshing, fun and classy.

Room Tip: I adored the "Mayfield"...saw the bridal suites too, so pretty and welcoming!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 January 2013

The Bernards Inn feels like a place out of a fairy tale or storybook. It provided the perfect backdrop for my brother's wedding, but even without such a celebration going on, it was the best hotel I ever stayed at. My room was comfortable and quaint, the staff was helpful and friendly. The food, for the most part, was ok. I loved the tea service in the lobby each morning. My biggest complaint was the street noise and the noise from another reception one evening. My room was on the front of the hotel on the second floor and must have also been above the reception room, because I was kept awake into the wee hours of the morning one night by car noise and boisterous revelers. Overall, though, I can't wait to plan my next visit to the Inn!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Lulu A
Reviewed 16 November 2012

Overall, we were pleasantly surprise since we tend to favor more modern spa or hotel accommodations. The Inn is situated in "downtown" Bernardsville across from the train station with its parking lot on the main county road; not a country setting. Suggest you request a room away from the front of the building if you are sensitive to light and street noises. Mind you there's not a lot of traffic to begin with; the street noise and traffic was not an issue for us and we were on the front face of the building.

The good stuff; definitely the nicest B&B type (no free breakfast) establishment we've been. The Inn is period decorated. The foyer and lobby are very comfortable and welcoming with working fireplace. When we arrived, there was live music in the busy restaurant/bar just off the lobby. Our room (#12) was very richly decorated and well furnished. The large bathroom distinctly reminded me of Normandy's Hotel Churchill’s fine accommodations; just my own odd reflection upon the colors, tile and toilette layout. Room had wonderful original antique artwork and many period pieces. I looked and they're for real, pretty neat and worthy of any collection.

In summary, if you are in the tie-dye or mod crowd or can't appreciate old school, then this is not the place for you. On the other hand, if you want to step back in time in a richly appointed Inn and rub shoulders with the one percenters (while they are enjoying their charming, natural country club-like setting (and where the staff is most attentive), then you have most definitely arrived.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the front of building would be quieter.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jerseyrich
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bernardsville
The Olde Mill Inn
#2 of 5 in Branchburg
The Madison Hotel
The Madison Hotel
#1 of 5 in Morristown

Been to Bernards Inn? Share your experiences!