“not very friendly”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Bordentown
Reviewed 3 March 2008

The rooms are clean and the walk-in price isn't bad, but your reception will depend ENTIRELY on the person who happens to be sitting behind the desk. If it's an ordinary employee who's not looking for trouble, you'll be fine. If it's the surly woman who claims to own the place, you'll probably end up in an argument. (Or you'll walk out and go somewhere else, as I did.) She makes up rules as she goes along--for example, that you can't have a non-smoking room unless you pay with a credit card. There are too many other hotels in Bordentown (most of which are more desirable) for a traveler to have to up with that kind of garbage.

Stayed: February 2008
1  Thank DrGoldin

Reviewed 11 December 2007

The Econo Lodge in Bordentown is not for travelers. Its the motel where the state puts up section 8s. That isn't advertised and unfortunately some unwitting travelers get stuck there. There are many other motels and hotels in the area and I highly suggest you stay at one of them.

Bordentown is a very safe area with a low crime rate. There is excellent dining and shopping in Bordentown City. Please don't judge the area by this one shady motel. Nearly every area has something similiar, unfortunately, this is a national chain and travelers don't realize its a section 8 motel.

Stayed: December 2007
7  Thank greenbean1977
Reviewed 15 June 2007

Most of the comments people made were spot-on (run-down looking), but I found my room to be reasonably OK. Wasn't really dirty, bathroom was clean, water pressure good, A/C good and I don't expect much anyway from divey hotels, especially when you're only paying $50/night. I've stayed in the expensive ones as well as the cheapy ones, and I'm not a hotel snob anyway.

I cannot comment on the crime in the area because I don't live there; that, indeed, is scary, but I saw no reason to be afraid of that area - it looked like Anywhere New Jersey to me, with diners, Wawas, supermarkets, etc.. and everyone seemed friendly and nice.

The only problem I had at the hotel was that because I had to leave so early, there was no one to help me between 6am-6:30 am last Sunday to give me a new room key as I had locked myself out. Once the guy got to the front desk, it was fine. He even let me help myself to coffee 1st thing on Saturday morning at 6am! (thanks again, dude, you did a public service)

That said, I had a GREAT experience with the staff. I had left a couple of personal items in the drawers and they went out of their way to help me recover it via UPS!!!! thanks Lisa and Tika!!

All in all, OK.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled solo
18  Thank Jannie66
Reviewed 11 June 2007

This hotel was horrible. It looked dirty and not well kept. As soon as we pulled up to the hotel and noticed that some of the letters of the hotel name were missing, we sort of got the hint that it might not be all that great. When we opened the door to our room, our misgivings were confirmed.
At one point there was so much noise outside that I got up to see if we had left our door open, thinking that that was the reason for the noise. it sounded as if they were in our room partying.
I would not recommend this hotel to anyone!

Stayed: June 2007
22  Thank adalcisio
Reviewed 16 April 2007

I was staying there because I was going to the Mets game and wanted to take the train and the hotel was near trenton to get on the train. The price was cheap and thought it wouldn't be that bad. I was traveling with only my fiance. I first had a room on the first floor and withing 5 minutes had to kill a roach. Never saw one and never want to be in the same room with them crawling around, so I moved to the second floor. The room wasn't that bad, and it did have a clean bathroom and looked like they just put it in. However, it was a scary place to stay. Like the one review, if you are female and traveling alone, do not stay there. The best thing was the sports bar right beside it. The place was awesome and we went there both nights we stayed there. The one waitress advised us to be careful staying there, because there is a lot of drug activity and also suicides are common there. I also advise not going to trenton to get on the train there as well, that is another story. The front desk staff was nice and polite though.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple
30  Thank aww5491
Reviewed 21 November 2006

Stayed here for 4 nights--11-18-06 - 11-21-06. Up until 06-20-06, I lived about 5 miles from here for 24 years.

Booked this place as part of an Avis "Getaway" package. I flew into Philadelphia and wanted to stay in the Trenton, NJ area. This was a family emergency and I was willing to sacrifice a lot of quality to save money. Avis DID offer much better hotels in their package, although some were at double the price I paid.

I read the review of 08-29-06, and looked at the pix. With the exception of the dirty bed linens those pictures are pretty much on the mark. If you have a problem with stained carpets, stained walls, peeling wallpaper, and dust and dirt in out-of-the-way spots, find someplace else to stay. HOWEVER, beware, the Trenton, NJ area, for the most part, has only two extremes in lodging quality. Low-priced and sleezy, dirty, etc., and high-priced with commensurate quality and cleanliness. Obviously, I opted for the former. I don't know where the HAMPTON INN, about 2 miles from here, falls on the high-price, low-price spectrum, but their rooms are of excelent quality, even though the parking, and the attitude of the weekend night clerk leave something to be desired.

SECURITY: It is for this reason I advise against women, who are traveling along, staying here. On the bad side, the doors are not as secure as they should be. In my room, the door obviously had to be forced-open at one time and the repair work was poor. Nevertheless there was a secure inside latch. One could probably kick the door in without much effort, but, since I was on the first floor, I could throw a chair through the window and be outside before anyone got in. Since this place is in Bordentown Township, NJ, rather than in the city of Trenton, is a "plus" for security. The Bordentown Township Police have a much lower tolerance for those who loiter, drug dealers and similiar characters than the Trenton police do. One final note on security: Those traveling from southern and Rocky Mountain states should note that, for all practical purposes, the possession of handguns, whether openly displayed or not, is permitted only for law enforcement Officers in the State of New Jersey. Violators, if convicted, are subject to a mandatory term of 3 years imprisonment. In fairness to this place, I also want to say that, not once, during my stay did I ever see any suspicious characters or otherwise feel my safety was threatened.

HEATING/COOLING: There is unit which I found to be effective in heating the room. The unit could be quieter. However, I had no problem sleeping with it on. Light sleepers may find otherwise.

FOOD: This place started-out, about 40 years ago, as one of those combination motel-restaurant Howard Johnson's Motor Lodges. The old Howard Johnson restaurant building is next-door, and still functions as a restaurant. Except, today, it is an "upscale" sports bar and restaurant and caters mostly to the "under 40" crowd. About 500 feet from the old Howard Johnson Restaurant is the Town And Country Diner. This place is closed only between 1:00 AM and 6:00 AM. Food at the Town And Country is good, prices reasonable, service is good, and credit cards are accepted.

HOUSEKEEPING: Cleaning service is limited. If you're not out of your room by, around 9:00 AM, your room won't be cleaned. When your room is cleaned, bed and bath linens are changed, and the waste basket is emptied, but no new drinking cups are supplied.

INTERNET CONNECTIONS: There is wireless internet service available, free of charge. There is a "data port" on the phone for "dial-up" internet. However, before using the phone for "dial-up," clarify with the office about the service charge for local calls. I don't know if local calls are charged a flat, "one-time" charge, or if there is a charge based on the length of the call. The wireless service is good enough to run a laptop on, but it could be a lot faster.

As was noted in another review, the front desk staff are polite.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
33  Thank Big_Horn_Basin_Kid
Reviewed 29 August 2006

Just see my candid photos, that will explain everything I want to say. The moment we saw those clean sheets we got all of our baggage and left. Also you can see blood on the AC switch.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled as a couple