Open today: 10:00 - 16:00
Nice place to walk

Reviewed 23 October 2016
Jeanne732
Freehold, New Jersey
On the hunt for cranberries...

Reviewed 16 October 2016
jlagtravels
philadelphia

All reviews tucked away pine barrens cranberry bogs jersey devil opportunities blueberry cranberries philadelphia
Reviewed 24 June 2018

After waiting in my car for 30 minutes to enter Whitebog Park for the Blueberry festival and paying a $5 entry fee,, I had to walk 1/2 mile from the parking area or wait in long line for a shuttle bus. I tried to get a blueberry pie at 130pm on Sunday and they were already sold out, crafts were not professional, minimal food choices, advertised blueberry sundaes were 1 scoop of vanilla ice cream with a few blueberries thrown on top. What a waste of my Sunday. Definitely not worth it.

Reviewed 24 February 2018

Hike in the shade of the pines or out in the sun by the bogs . Plenty of things going here through out the year.

Reviewed 16 October 2017

At first glance, I knew no place in the South Jersey area that could be considered an ecotourism destination. Perhaps the local Marlton REI store can offer some help? Nope, not even close. There were many books and suggestions containing information out of the area. I wondered why REI selected this area for one of their only locations in New Jersey. There was a suggestion given to me by a customer. It was about a visit they made to the New Jersey Pine Barrens.

Who would have known, the largest area of heavily forested land was adjacent to Philadelphia and New York cities. I noticed the vast Pinelands while driving on the Atlantic City Expressway running through the middle but I knew very little about it. I heard some local folklore about the "Jersey Devil" told by the people living in the Pine Barrens. Farming is not one of the assets of the area which spans over 1.1 million acres, except for growing cranberries. This area is considered one of the largest cranberry producers in the United States.

New Jersey is one of the highest polluted states but has a major source of underground water. It's called the Kirkwood-Cohansey Aquifer. It contains some of the cleanest water in the United States.The New Jersey Pine Barrens is designated a National Reserve and International Biosphere Reserve because it sits on top of the aquifer.

Not all Reserves have educational and economic opportunities. I can imagine all the possibilities of this place as an ecotourism destination. I hope to visit the cranberry bogs before the weather turns too cold.

Reviewed 24 June 2017

The Blueberry Festival advertised free parking but fee admission. Well it is $10 to park. It rained that morning so the dirt car path had turned to mud. The parking lot was about a mile away on this path. In order to get to the village, you need to wait for a bus. I don't think the buses run quickly. We left without seeing the festival for fear of the mad stampede to get out on these mud paths. The exit path is a long muddy dirt road and I feared several times that we would get stuck in the mud. Very disappointed.

Reviewed 23 October 2016

Visited for the second time today. I went to the Blueberry Festival in June and though it was well run, it was just too darn hot to truly enjoy. Today was a beautiful Fall day so I took advantage of the trails to enjoy it fully. I got there early so the buildings were closed & no one was around - as was my plan. The buildings are well maintained, the roads are easy walking (wide sandy roads) with smaller trails through the pines and the bog views are enjoyable. It's a nice spot for photography.

Reviewed 16 October 2016

At the peak of cranberry season (mid- October), we took advantage of a mid-week day off from school to drive from Philadelphia to New Jersey's Pine Barrens to catch a glimpse of bright red cranberry bogs we have only seen on Ocean Spray commercials. While we didn't see the giant swaths of red, we caught sight of a few cranberries in the distance. (I understand from locals that access to the cranberry bogs is limited to protect the crops. makes sense.)

We headed to the historic village of Whitesbog, located in the northernmost section of Brendan T. Byrne State Park. There were no events scheduled and the General Store and Museum were closed but we spent about 45 minutes walking around the historic buildings and trails, reading the interpretive panels to learn about this former company town, birthplace to the cultivated blueberry. Marked walking trails meander through the tiny town to blueberry fields and former cranberry bogs. It was neat to see the structure of the former bogs with the drainage ditches and a few cranberry plants peaking up here and there.

On our way into town along the drive, we did see a hint of red on a still active cranberry bog which seemed to be harvested by the giant machinery during our visit. While the visitor services were closed during the week, it was a nice drive and easy walk. If we ever have time on a weekend, we will return to see the active commercial bogs on an organized tour, located nearby.

Whitesbog is tucked away from the main road. I used GPS directions to the Whitesbog Preservation Trust to find the way.

Reviewed 25 June 2016

First time here, went for the Blueberry Festival.
Great location, great history lessons, great music, awesome food selections.
Vendors were mostly local artists with fair prices and some great products.
Blueberry baked goods booth was worth the trip alone!
However, the parking situation was horrible.
You have to pay ten dollars to park a mile away down a sandy road and use the provided school busses to get back and forth. Problem is, there were only two and a half busses, causing you to stand in line in the hot sun for over a half hour waiting for the bus. Old people, families with babies and strollers, people with dogs and people with arms full of stuff they just bought do not board a bus quickly nor do they fare well in the heat and sun.
Not a good experience.

1  Thank R D
Reviewed 8 June 2016

We went for a day trip with our dog. There was nothing scheduled for visitors that day, so we walked about on our own. We walked inside the historic cabins as well as the general store. There we bought some blueberry jam and cold water. Restrooms are available too. While my husband sat on a rocking chair in the front porch, I walked down to the cranberry bog. My dog and I passed a pretty butterfly garden and walked on a short path covered with wood shavings.
There is probably more to do when there are scheduled activities, such as a blueberry festival in late June.

Reviewed 24 May 2015

Many folks in NJ are not aware of the scope of the Pine Barrens - 1/4 of the state is uninhabited pine lands. Whitesbog village is at the northern edge of the Pine Barrens, about halfway between Philadelphia and the shore. It is accessible by 'hardtop road' and well worth a visit. The drive on sand roads through the old cranberry bogs and past the site where Elizabeth White cultivated the first commercial blueberry is a remarkable experience. I've taken people from all over the US, Europe and South America there, and all have been amazed. Beautiful drive, and a well preserved turn-of-the-century village where the commercial blueberry was born (and cranberries are still grown). The general store is where I buy all my jams and jellies, not to mention books on the area and Jersey devil shirts. A great starting point to learn about the Pine Barrens, and an experience that you will never forget.

5  Thank D R
Reviewed 4 May 2015

Excellent general store with home made jelly and preserves. They also have historic nik-naks and plenty of classy souvenirs. It's a good trip to give your kids a little history lesson.