“Tucked away and could be very important to the Pine Barren eco-community.”
Review of Whitesbog Village

Whitesbog Village
Reviewed 16 October 2017

At first glance, I knew no place in the South Jersey area that could be considered an ecotourism destination. Perhaps the local Marlton REI store can offer some help? Nope, not even close. There were many books and suggestions containing information out of the area. I wondered why REI selected this area for one of their only locations in New Jersey. There was a suggestion given to me by a customer. It was about a visit they made to the New Jersey Pine Barrens.

Who would have known, the largest area of heavily forested land was adjacent to Philadelphia and New York cities. I noticed the vast Pinelands while driving on the Atlantic City Expressway running through the middle but I knew very little about it. I heard some local folklore about the "Jersey Devil" told by the people living in the Pine Barrens. Farming is not one of the assets of the area which spans over 1.1 million acres, except for growing cranberries. This area is considered one of the largest cranberry producers in the United States.

New Jersey is one of the highest polluted states but has a major source of underground water. It's called the Kirkwood-Cohansey Aquifer. It contains some of the cleanest water in the United States.The New Jersey Pine Barrens is designated a National Reserve and International Biosphere Reserve because it sits on top of the aquifer.

Not all Reserves have educational and economic opportunities. I can imagine all the possibilities of this place as an ecotourism destination. I hope to visit the cranberry bogs before the weather turns too cold.

All reviews
in 7 reviews
"philadelphia"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed 24 June 2017

The Blueberry Festival advertised free parking but fee admission. Well it is $10 to park. It rained that morning so the dirt car path had turned to mud. The parking lot was about a mile away on this path. In order to get to the village, you need to wait for a bus. I don't think the buses run quickly. We left without seeing the festival for fear of the mad stampede to get out on these mud paths. The exit path is a long muddy dirt road and I feared several times that we would get stuck in the mud. Very disappointed.

Reviewed 23 October 2016

Visited for the second time today. I went to the Blueberry Festival in June and though it was well run, it was just too darn hot to truly enjoy. Today was a beautiful Fall day so I took advantage of the trails to enjoy it fully. I got there early so the buildings were closed & no one was around - as was my plan. The buildings are well maintained, the roads are easy walking (wide sandy roads) with smaller trails through the pines and the bog views are enjoyable. It's a nice spot for photography.

Reviewed 16 October 2016

At the peak of cranberry season (mid- October), we took advantage of a mid-week day off from school to drive from Philadelphia to New Jersey's Pine Barrens to catch a glimpse of bright red cranberry bogs we have only seen on Ocean Spray commercials. While we didn't see the giant swaths of red, we caught sight of a few cranberries in the distance. (I understand from locals that access to the cranberry bogs is limited to protect the crops. makes sense.)

We headed to the historic village of Whitesbog, located in the northernmost section of Brendan T. Byrne State Park. There were no events scheduled and the General Store and Museum were closed but we spent about 45 minutes walking around the historic buildings and trails, reading the interpretive panels to learn about this former company town, birthplace to the cultivated blueberry. Marked walking trails meander through the tiny town to blueberry fields and former cranberry bogs. It was neat to see the structure of the former bogs with the drainage ditches and a few cranberry plants peaking up here and there.

On our way into town along the drive, we did see a hint of red on a still active cranberry bog which seemed to be harvested by the giant machinery during our visit. While the visitor services were closed during the week, it was a nice drive and easy walk. If we ever have time on a weekend, we will return to see the active commercial bogs on an organized tour, located nearby.

Whitesbog is tucked away from the main road. I used GPS directions to the Whitesbog Preservation Trust to find the way.