“Great Family Destination”

Adventure Aquarium
Ranked #2 of 16 things to do in Camden
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Adventure Aquarium is just minutes from downtown Philadelphia on the Camden Waterfront and features one-of-a-kind exhibits with more than 8,500 aquatic species throughout two million gallons of water. The Aquarium is home to the largest collection of sharks on the East Coast, including the only Great Hammerhead shark on exhibit in the United States, the only aquarium in the world to exhibit hippos, one of only six facilities in the US to have Little Blue penguins as permanent residents and exhibits the longest Shark Bridge in the world, a unique V-shaped rope suspension bridge just inches over Shark Realm. Adventure Aquarium is an accredited member of the Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA), and is held to the absolute highest standards in animal care and exhibition.
Useful Information: Stairs / lift, Baby buggy parking, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Lockers / storage, Food available for purchase
Reviewed 24 August 2014

If you are looking for a great place to spend the day with your family, then Adventure Aquarium should make your list. It is fun, and you can learn a lot.

Touch-a-shark and the sting ray pool are a must. And spending time in the shark tunnel is another.

The area was clean, and parking was very convenient. The key is to get there as soon as the aquarium opens, though.

On the downside, food is very expensive for a family of 4. There was a lot to choose from, but it cost us more than if we would have gone to a nice restaurant. Add the cost of parking and admission tickets, it ends up being very pricey.

1  Thank MakingOurLifeMatter
Write a ReviewReviews (1,219)

Reviewed 24 August 2014

I recently brought the children I babysit to visit the Aquarium. I had been there before, always when it wasn't so crowded. This time we went on a rainy Saturday, which was not the best time to go. The line to buy tickets was very long (and I noticed it was much, much longer when we were leaving), so you might want to buy yours ahead of time online to skip the line. It was really packed when we got inside, but the kids didn't mind so much. There is a large variety of fish and other underwater life, including quite a number of sharks-including hammerheads and some other very big ones. (It was hard to read the labels to know what kinds they were, due to the crowds.) I was a bit surprised at the cost to get in-almost $70 for an adult and two children. There is food available for purchase, which was a little less expensive than I expected, but you can also bring your own. It's worth a visit, but you may want to try to go on a weekday.

Reviewed 24 August 2014

My family found this aquarium very boring. Maybe it is just for younger children but we were disappointed as we had really enjoyed previous visits to aquariums in other US city's.
It was also a bit off the beaten track for us as we had to get the ferry over which added to the cost.
Still maybe it would worth making your own mind up

1  Thank ctcCarshalton
Reviewed 24 August 2014

An incredibly beautiful aquarium! The hippo exhibit was really cool as was the shark tunnel. Admission is a bit pricey; so is the parking.

1  Thank harleygirl1066
Reviewed 23 August 2014

We loved the hippo exhibit. They had a nice shark tank and quite a few different touch tank opportunities. The 4-D show was boring, but it was only $3 so I guess it was ok. The aquarium had a nice variety of exhibits. My favorite was the Jules Verne gallery with jellyfish and giant lobsters. I would have given it 5 stars but the parking attendant at the aquarium was quite rude. She was chatting with her friend for several minutes holding up the line to exit and I thought that was kind of rude