“nice but expensive”

Adventure Aquarium
Ranked #2 of 16 things to do in Camden
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Adventure Aquarium is just minutes from downtown Philadelphia on the Camden Waterfront and features one-of-a-kind exhibits with more than 8,500 aquatic species throughout two million gallons of water. The Aquarium is home to the largest collection of sharks on the East Coast, including the only Great Hammerhead shark on exhibit in the United States, the only aquarium in the world to exhibit hippos, one of only six facilities in the US to have Little Blue penguins as permanent residents and exhibits the longest Shark Bridge in the world, a unique V-shaped rope suspension bridge just inches over Shark Realm. Adventure Aquarium is an accredited member of the Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA), and is held to the absolute highest standards in animal care and exhibition.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Baby buggy parking, Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities, Stairs / lift, Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Lockers / storage
Reviewed 29 August 2014

Unless you get a coupon deal it is expensive for the time it takes to view it. We finished in 2-3 hours including stopping to eat and doing the movie.It has some nice exhibits. I would like to see more signs that tell about the animals. The big shark tank is awesome and the tunnel is great. But the place was horribly crowded and it was difficult to see things. The 4D movie was short and not very interesting and there weren't enough seats for us to sit together.

2  Thank anOldMom

Reviewed 28 August 2014

Note: Perhaps I am being unfair, but I am basing this review on my recent past experience with the aquariums at Monterrey,CA, and Baltimore,MA.

This is a reasonable aquarium, that is really aimed at small kids. The entire structure seems to have been built around a food court with various zones to wander around. There are the usual touch pools, feeding times and a small outdoor penguin exhibit embedded in a playground and outdoor seating area. The shark tank and tunnel is good, but pretty standard in any aquarium these days.
There is a "4-D" theater, which showed an odd film opining on the sensitivity of great white sharks. The "4-D" effect seemed to be nothing other than the occasional puff of compressed air into my neck, so it wasn't too impressive.
One final oddity for an aquarium is the indoor hippo exhibit. This is a large indoor enclosure entirely lit with artificial light. The two hippos seemed happy enough, as far as one can tell with such an expressionless ungulate, but it did hark back to the days of Victorian zoos in some ways since there was no visible outdoor access to fresh air and light for these guys.
Overall, not really a place for the enlightened, in my opinion.

Reviewed 24 August 2014

If you are looking for a great place to spend the day with your family, then Adventure Aquarium should make your list. It is fun, and you can learn a lot.

Touch-a-shark and the sting ray pool are a must. And spending time in the shark tunnel is another.

The area was clean, and parking was very convenient. The key is to get there as soon as the aquarium opens, though.

On the downside, food is very expensive for a family of 4. There was a lot to choose from, but it cost us more than if we would have gone to a nice restaurant. Add the cost of parking and admission tickets, it ends up being very pricey.

1  Thank MakingOurLifeMatter
Reviewed 24 August 2014

I recently brought the children I babysit to visit the Aquarium. I had been there before, always when it wasn't so crowded. This time we went on a rainy Saturday, which was not the best time to go. The line to buy tickets was very long (and I noticed it was much, much longer when we were leaving), so you might want to buy yours ahead of time online to skip the line. It was really packed when we got inside, but the kids didn't mind so much. There is a large variety of fish and other underwater life, including quite a number of sharks-including hammerheads and some other very big ones. (It was hard to read the labels to know what kinds they were, due to the crowds.) I was a bit surprised at the cost to get in-almost $70 for an adult and two children. There is food available for purchase, which was a little less expensive than I expected, but you can also bring your own. It's worth a visit, but you may want to try to go on a weekday.

Reviewed 24 August 2014

My family found this aquarium very boring. Maybe it is just for younger children but we were disappointed as we had really enjoyed previous visits to aquariums in other US city's.
It was also a bit off the beaten track for us as we had to get the ferry over which added to the cost.
Still maybe it would worth making your own mind up

1  Thank ctcCarshalton