“Over Night Stay”

Carroll Villa Hotel
Ranked #5 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 18 April 2014

We purchased a groupon for a overnight room, the room was very clean, we had our own bathroom which had everything in it. the room had a HD Tv with full cable and wi-fi. The staff was very friendly and helpful, we were suppose to get a bottle of wine in the room when it wasn't there they gave us one and apologized for it not being in the room. The only negative thing was the bed was a little uncomfortable. The room came with $30.00 off breakfast at the Mad Batter and Mimosas, which was delicious.If your in Cape May give them a try you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms are good
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Rangers1, Front Desk at Carroll Villa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2014

Dear PAtravler-13: We are glad that you enjoyed your Gorupon stay. Thank you for taking the time to write your review and complement our establishment. Have a great summer from all of us at the CV and the MB!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,243)

Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

We purchased a $99 certificate through Travelzoo.It included a room overnight and breakfast.It also included wine tastings and a trolley tour.Dinner at the Mad Batter restaurant within the B&B was 30 percent off.Food was excellent at both dinner and breakfast. We spent happy hour in the cocktail lounge and after dinner we went back for drinks and music.We had an enjoyable stay even though the weather was not the best.We definitely will be back

• Stayed: April 2014

Dear GrampsD: Your review made our day! Thank you very much. Jill and Kathi, Front Desk

Reviewed 17 April 2014

This bed and breakfast Caroll Villa Hotel( the Mad Batter) had excellent food and wonderful choices. The room was spotless and the shower gel and shampoo dispenser was very cool. It was my birthday and a balloon and salt water taffy were left on my bed by the management. Everyone was friendly and I definitely would recommend it if a bed and breakfast is on your list of things to do in Cape May. Within walking distance of the mall and beach.

Room Tip: I had a room on the third floor but at the top of the steps and it was nice. There was no view. I wo...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

We are glad you enjoyed your birthday while staying with us. Thank you for your lovely review and we hope you will stay with us again soon. Jill and Kathi, Front Desk

Reviewed 14 April 2014

The woman at the front desk was so rude on MULTIPLE occasions we interacted with her. Just a bad bad attitude. She was annoyed we asked a question and at one point raised her hand to quiet us down from asking a question. So rude. The room looked amazing .. in the online photos on their website. It was not so in person. Very small, in need of good cleaning and the most uncomfortable bed ever. There was noise outside our window all night - did not get any sleep. Not going there again. Wanted to like it but for that kind of money we can do so much better.

2  Thank AgataCl
Rangers1, Front Office Manager at Carroll Villa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2014

Dear AgataCl: Please accept my apology if I offended you -it was not my intention. The reason I raised my hand was to let you know I was on the phone taking a reservation. Its really hard for guests that approach the desk to know that we are using an ear piece and are on the phone with other guests. I meant no disrespect. Kathi

Reviewed 14 April 2014

The Carroll Villa was a great place to stay. It was exactly what we needed. It was right near the beach (less than a block away) and very close to the promenade. The room was clean, on the small side but we didn't plan on staying inside anyway. The bed was comfortable, and the shower was good. The Inn has a restaurant on the first floor which they provide a 30% discount if you are staying there, and the food was delicious! We got apps, entrees, and dessert and it was all very delicious. The staff was friendly as well. Over all great time! I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Rangers1, Desk Clerk at Carroll Villa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2014

KerriB: Thank you for your kind words about our B&B and Mad Batter Restaurant. Glad you enjoyed the beach and promenade. Have a wonderful summer. Jill, Desk Clerk

Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

I am Always hesitant about groupon deals - this was completely worth it. First off, the location is perfect - right by the main shopping area and a block from the beach. The house is old but very clean and beautiful. I had room 23 which is small but clean, with a big flat screen tv and modernized. I didn't think id be impressed with the room but I was even though it's tiny. There was no real view but Thats okay. The mad batter restaurant had the best loaded fries I ever had. We also had dinner there which wasn't really crowded but the food was good. The breakfast was MUCH better and you can eat right on the outside deck. The staff was incredibly nice and helpful, especially the lady at the front desk I wish I remembered her name. I have already recommended this to friends and hope to see you again. Thanks for a perfect stay - keep up the great hospitality. I can tell you take pride in your place.

• Stayed: April 2014
Rangers1, Front Office Manager at Carroll Villa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2014

Dear Ryan: I am glad that you found your Groupon experience with us to be pleasant and worth it. Thank you for your nice comments about our hotel and our staff. We really appreciate it and thanks so much for recommending us to your friends. Have a Great Day, Kathi, (lady at the front desk)

Reviewed 11 April 2014

My family found the Carroll Villa Hotel on the Groupon site. They all decided to chip in for my birthday and what a bd present it was. We spent 4/7/14 -4/9/14. When we arrived was greated at the hotel by Jill, who was very pleasant, I talked to her the day before on the phone. She allowed us to take all things up to our room because we parked right out front and the car needed moved we couldn't find a space in the un loading no parking zone, so we were in front of the hotel and the car couldn't sit there. Than preceded to finish our check in. We had to park the car up on Ocean Ave which was not but 1/2 a block away. All meters were free thru May untill Cape May summer season begins.
I have been to Cape May during the summer time and parking that close to the beach and shopping is premium and can be testy if wanting to stay in "town" None of the b/b have their own parking spaces because they are literally side by side.
Our room was so pretty we stayed in room 1. main house above the office. It was very quaint . Very clean and well kept. The bed is very high and for some you would need a step stool to get into which they have in the closet. The mattress could have been more comfortable. Could be updated. I didn't physically see the other rooms but would guess this may be one of the smaller ones. My husband and I borrowed a game from the parlor, but had not much room to play. It needed a table which to sit and play without moving furniture. The shower had dispenser with soap/shampoo/conditioner on the wall and hair dryer attached to the wall. This room had a small refrigerator.
The parlor is very cozy and comfortable. TV there and plenty of plugs for your computer, which I needed to use early and didn't want to wake my husband. By 6 there was a nice set up with coffee. But for me who is not a coffee drinker It could have been nice to have hot water and tea bags.
You can enter the Mad Batter from inside the hotel. The Mad Batter has food that was prepared perfect and large portions. The service was wonderful. The seating is in the back of the bar and oh such a bright colorful and airy, warm very welcoming and just adorable. Looking outside they have a small court yard with gardens and lots of birdhouses and pond w/a few fish. We sat by the windows can only imagine when everything is in bloom how pretty it must be. It has a two side fireplace. We didn't need a reservation at this time of the season, in full season you will need one. They serve breakfast/lunch from 8 till 3 and dinner beginning at 5. The bar area is inviting also. We had dinner Monday evening and a small autistic band played from 6:30 till 8:30.
Sunday night was open mic night. We heard nothing when in our room. I understand by talking with the staff they have some sort of entertainment almost all the time. Very fun place. Mad Batter is a well known restaurant in Cape May and extremely busy thru the summer season. Even those staying at the Carroll Villa you WILL need reservations.
I had never stayed here before but a little leery. Was worried about it being loud and couldn't be further from the truth. Before entering the hotel the front porch is enclosed and setting for the restaurant. Very welcoming.
With our hotel reservation at this time of year, every room had a complementary bottle of wine. You also received two 30.00 vulture one for each night we were there, so breakfast for two people was all but free and 30% off two entrees at dinner. I don't know if this is offered because of booking with Groupon or it's something the hotel offers as well.. You will have to find this out. But quit a savings.
The Carroll Villa is one block from "Washington Street Mall" Have always went to the mall when in Cape May. What a very pleasant experience. Tiny little quaint stores with fine quality items. Two restaurants, both have excellent food. Ugly Mug has the best Nacho's that I have ever had anywhere. even at some our nicer establishments at home. The service was excellent prices right in line. Not all shops are open yet at this time of season but those that were delightful and pleasant and very fair pricing.
The beach at Cape May very clean and welcoming and many entities there also. You will need a beach tag for in season.
I would highly recommend the Hotel b/b Carroll Villa to anyone who is looking for a welcoming, clean, personable staff. You cant go wrong no matter what time of year. It was dreary and rainy the whole time we were there, they even offer umbrella's for crazy folks like us who want to be out and about, who cares your still away and well worth the trip
Hope this is helpful you may want to consider staying at the hotel'' I /you can't go wrong you will want to go back.

Room Tip: Our room was very, very nice as I have to believe they all are. You can view the pictures on line,
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Rangers1, Front Desk Clerk at Carroll Villa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2014

Dear Celeste: Greetings from Cape May! We are pleased to know that you enjoyed your surprise birthday getaway and had a good time at our bed and breakfast hotel. Thank you for taking the time to write your thoughtful and splendid review of your experiences with us and with the town. You appreciated all the little things that make Cape May a special place. All of us at the CV and the MB wish you a great summer and hope to see you again. Jill, Desk Clerk