“Nice accomodations, great food”

Carroll Villa Hotel
Ranked #5 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
GreenLeadersGold level
Long Branch, New Jersey
“Nice accomodations, great food”
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Room was good sized, nice and clean. Front desk staff helpful. Wait staff friendly, especially Tom. No porch to sit on due to outside seating for Mad Batter restaurant. No on site parking, however only a liesurely 10 minute walk to off site lot.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Rangers1, Front Desk at Carroll Villa Hotel, responded to this review, 21 June 2014
Thank you for complementing the accommodations, the food and the staff. We all greatly appreciate it. Please come back and stay with us again soon. Jill, Desk Clerk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
Reviewed 12 June 2014

The location is perfect!! The room was super clean and the bed was so comfortable. I would definitely stay again. The staff was friendly & helpful. Breakfast was delicious crabmeat eggs Benedict was really good. Rooms get filled quickly in the summer to check for availability. Great place to relax!!!

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Rach2388
Dear Rach2388: Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review of our bed and breakfast hotel. We appreciate your lovely comments and hope you can stay with us again soon. Have a great summer from all of the Staff at CV and the MB
Lorton, Virginia
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I was informed about the unloading process so that wasn’t a problem. Parking would be inconvenient for someone that can’t get dropped off because it is a ways to walk.
My awkward moments began when I asked the Restaurant greeter could I review the menu. She said she could provide it to me ONLY IF I was ordering at that moment. I told her we just wanted to sit down and view the menu..again she said ONLY IF I was going to be seated. She provided me a sample menu that didn’t have all of the items listed and turned to assist someone else.

Later that day, I was enjoying the live band but there were no more standing room, so I asked the Greeter could I sit at one of the many empty tables at the time and she said ONLY IF you are ordering a meal. There were a rear patio where the band members left there instrument cases which is a sitting area with the ability to hear the music but no one was sitting out there. So my partner and I sat there until a space became available near the bar area.

The bed posts were seated on extensions which fell off a couple of times. My partner was able to lift the bed and reposition each post.

There is no place for patrons residing at the BB to sit outside and just enjoy the view. I asked one of the greeters and she said no, and left me to assist someone else.
I had so many snug moments when I asked the Greeters questions. It was like my questions or convenience wasn’t important and I was a resident there for 2 days. I enjoyed the area and the BB was in a great location but some of the employees covering the restaurant were rude.

The Bar employees was the BEST…they made an out of Towner feel welcome and the band was outstanding.

Friendly practices...I don't think so. If a patron would like to sit and view the menu, let them. If you can't accommodate someone, don't smug them off but try to assist them in a friendly manner. The BB should allow at least a couple of tables for the in-house guests to sit and enjoy the road-side view

Room Tip: My room was OK (#26). The bed was hard and the bed posts was lifted on extensions which will fall...
Green Features: The bed and mattresses need to be replaced with something new if the recycle is broken!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Monkton, Maryland
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Just came home from two days at the B&B. Beware of parking...must park on public lot that is 15 minute walk away; you will be told it is 5 minute walk. Our room in the annex was so tiny that my husband and I had to walk sideways around each other; only one of us could walk at foot of bed at a time. Bathroom was super tiny. No coffee/tea pot in room and B&B in parlor is not 24/7. Very limited seating in parlor...no table if it is rainy and you want to play a game or do a puzzle. No porch with rocking chairs which one typically looks forward to using in a B&B. BUT the food and food service was outstanding. I suggest you stay off site and just visit the restaurant at your convenience. We were there with another couple and will not return to stay overnight.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
Green Features: I did not know this way an environmentally-friendly B&B, so I have no comment.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank FrequentTravelor07
Rangers1, Desk Ckerk at Carroll Villa Hotel, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
We were sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay but glad you recommend our restaurant. I dare say parking is an issue in a town that was designed pre-Model T. I inform people that's it is a 10 minute walk from the parking lot. We look forward to seeing you again in the Mad Batter. Have a Great Day
Sicklerville
Reviewed 7 June 2014

My husband and I stayed for two nights using the Groupon deal. We stayed in room 20 which is the only room on the first floor with a deck. At times, outside would be a little noisey. Beautiful room. The room would have been better getting rid of the ceiling fan and installing a chandelier (suggestion). We loved our stay. The staff was great. There was one waitress that tended to talk too much to the patrons but other than that all were very nice. We received vouchers for a trolley tour, winery tours and brewery tour. We got a voucher for breakfast for both days and received 30% off dinner. The food was great but a bit pricey. The location was wonderful and convenient. Everything is walking distance (mall and beach). I didn't want to leave Cape May. It was beautiful! I would definitely stay again and recommend this hotel to my friends.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gail M
Cape May awaits your return! Thank you for your review and your recommendation. We hope to see you again in the future. Have a great Fourth of July. Kathi and Jill
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 5 June 2014

My husband and I just returned from staying here two nights and it was a great place. The hotel staff and restaurant staff were both very friendly, courteous, and accommodating. The room we stayed in (#34) was located in the annex of the building which was super quiet. The room itself was very large, having a sleeper bed and cushy chair in addition to the queen-sized bed. Since we stayed at the hotel, we received 30% off our dinner bill each night and received complementary breakfast each morning. The food (all of it) was delicious. The happy hour was also great and offered a good selection of drinks. Also, since we purchased a Groupon for our stay, we received vouchers for two winery tastings/tours, a brewery tasting/tour, and a trolley tour. These were fantastic incentives and we had a great time on each of the tours. Now, the only things that weren't super fantastic about this place were the bed, the shower, and the shades in our room. The bed was a little on the hard side and though that didn't bother me, my husband had to get used to it. Next, the shower head is somewhat low, so if you are on the tall side it will bop you on the head. Finally, we had a hard time pulling (and keeping) the shades down. Each time we lowered the shades it would take a few times to keep them down. This definitely wasn't a huge deal but it was a bit annoying. Overall, this is a great place to stay and dine!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LillyR85
Rangers1, Desk Clerk at Carroll Villa Hotel, responded to this review, 21 June 2014
We are glad that you enjoyed your Groupon stay and all of the amenities that were included. Thank you for your nice review of our hotel. Also thank you for the heads up regarding the window shades. We hope you will stay with us again sometime. Have a great summer from all of us at the Carroll Villa.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 4 June 2014

We stayed at the Carroll Villa for three nights over Memorial Day weekend. Our room was quite small (the smallest with a private bathroom), to the point that we could barely pass each other, and there was no way for us to both sit and read in bed. On the other hand, the room was clean, quiet, and the bathroom, while not exactly great, was usable.
The attraction of the Carroll Villa is the ease of enjoying the breakfast, reputedly one of the best in Cape May (and we enjoyed it a great deal), and the great location. In addition, they offer some nice conveniences, like a bike rack, free off-site parking, and a sitting area where we could play Scrabble at night.
I thought the price, for what the room entailed, was a bit high, but it was a holiday weekend, and maybe prices are better when it's not as in demand.
Overall, definitely recommend, but you might also look around and see if there are similar accommodations at a lower price.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple