“Crazy Fun”

GreenLeadersGold level
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Crazy Fun”
Reviewed 29 April 2010

This was our second time staying at the Carroll Villa. The first time was a few years ago for a long weekend. The staff was great, the service was great, the food was great and the room was cozy and clean. This time my husband and I spent a long weekend at the Carroll Villa, and they were hosting a murder mystery weekend. The staff was great, the room was nice and clean and the food at the Mad Batter was delicious again. The murder mystery was excellent. I would suggest that anyone interested in this type of entertainment to keep an eye out for it. You won't be dissapointed with either the BB or the mystery weekend.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed 10 April 2010

When I write a review, I like to start with the positive first: the room was clean, the bed was comfortable, and the waitress that served us breakfast both mornings at the attached restaurant was very nice.
Now, let me tell you why you should avoid the Carroll Villa hotel--rude service by the check-in agent and even the owner! When I walked to the check-in counter, the lady working gave me the key and told me where to find my room. After I went upstairs, I noticed the room she gave me was not the room I specified booking through bedandbreakfast.com. So I went back downstairs, told her it was the wrong room, and asked to move rooms. She told me the room was the only one available and that, if there was a problem that I didn't get the room I wanted, then it was bedandbreakfast.com's problem.
I then told her that I wanted to cancel my reservation and find a different B&B, at which point, she told my I couldn't cancel. I told her I didn't think it was very good customer service, at which point, she raised her voice to me to the point where she was almost yelling.
Since I had not raised my voice once in our conversation or used any type of profane or inappropriate language, I asked her why she was raising her voice to me.
Her response made my jaw drop to the floor. She said she raised her voice because I [direct quote] "wouldn't shut up long enough for her to..." I stopped her at the "to" and asked to see her boss. She went away for several minutes and then came back with the owner of the B&B. I recounted the story for him, and he said he stuck by his employee and that there was nothing that they could do about the room. He wouldn't let me cancel my room. His big customer service idea? He offered to buy me a drink to start over and offered me 30% off if I had dinner in his restaurant. What he didn't know is that I had been on his web site and thus knew that any guests staying in his B&B already got 30% off on dinner. [Tip to business owners--don't offer someone a special customer service courtesy if you already offer it as a published, standard service visible on your web site.]
He did offer to let us cancel the 2nd night, and we called around to see if we could find a different B&B for night two, but we had no luck. So we were stuck in his place for the weekend. While my fiancee and I met plenty of nice people in Cape May, these two folks were not among them. I certainly intend to go back to Cape May and will definitely use the bedandbreakfast.com service again. But I will avoid this place like the Plague.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank uncbhart22
Rangers1, Owner at Carroll Villa Hotel, responded to this review, 1 May 2010
To uncbhart22:

While we are always appreciative of constructive criticism, we do not take kindly to false statements. You do not mention anywhere in your review the fact that your initial complaint was the lack of a bath tub you claim was in the room you booked through bedandbreakfast.com. Since we only have two rooms with bathtubs and they were both occupied, we were unable to do anything to change the circumstances of your issue with your room. It is unfortunate that because you were unhappy with this fact, and the fact that you were told that you should address your dissatisfaction with bedandbreakfast.com, which is the website you booked through, you instead chose to lash out at us. It became obvious and is even more obvious from your review, that even though we were not to blame, there would have been nothing we could have done. You were never told that you could not cancel your reservation. We are a hotel, not a jail and our doors lock from the inside, not the outside. I would certainly not have stayed in a hotel such as the one you describe in your review. You were, however, reminded of our cancellation policy which you should have been well aware of since you clearly stated you had been on our website. This policy is also available through all of our booking agents, including bedandbreakfast.com. In conclusion, we recommend you read some of our other reviews. You will be hard pressed to find any that do not find our staff to be anything less than friendly and accommodating.
New Jersey
Reviewed 17 March 2010

I took my girlfriend to the Carroll Villa Hotel for Valentines Day and it was perfect. We have stayed before and it is always great; but being Valentines Day they went all out to make it perfect!! I HIGHLY Recommend it for a nice Romantic Weekend for two.

Mt Laurel, NJ
Reviewed 1 March 2010

The Carol Villa was wonderful, even off season in blustery February! Our room (suite) was wonderful and breakfast at the Mad Batter was fantastic!! You never felt you were staying in someone's home - we were newbies to the B&B stays and we will definitely go back!! We loved it and the staff is so warm and welcoming. Thank you Carol Villa for making our first B&B experience a wonderful one!

crosswicks NJ
Reviewed 1 March 2010

It was truly our pleasure to have the opportunity to stay with you on our recent weekend away. My fiancee and I had a fabulous time, the inn is so charming and pleasant we really felt at home. Our meals at the Mad Batter could not have been more perfect. The staff at the inn and the restaurant were pleasant and always helpful. We both look forward to future stays with you.

PA
Reviewed 28 February 2010

We stayed one night in the Carolla Villa annex room 28, very nicely decorated, cozy, romantic (Feb). Bar and restaurant attached very delicious. Wonderful choc martini, good service, very pleasant stay. Would come again.

Cincinnati
Reviewed 23 January 2010

The Carroll Villa is full of character. The building is old (130+ years) so don't expect every detail to be perfect (floors creak and door knobs jiggle) but this only adds to its charm/setting. Each of the 4 rooms we rented was was clean and uniquely decorated in period antiques. The price was reasonable (special deal for Coast Guard recruit families) and our hostess was very pleasant. After our long exhausting drive to Cape May, the quiet, cozy setting of the Carroll Villa was just what we needed.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family