“Leaves very little to desire. Location, building, food, staff are all excellent.”

Carroll Villa Hotel
Ranked #5 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
GreenLeadersGold level
Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed 28 May 2010

You do park down the street in a lot, but once you are at the Carroll Villa you do not need your car. We went to the beach (towels supplied), walked on the boardwalk, visited shops on Beach Ave, shopped in the pedestrian mall, all just a couple of minute walk from the Carrol Villa. We asked people in town to suggest places to eat and the Mad Batter was always on the list. Mark, and the staff are very helpful and fun. After seeing so many B&B's on line and then seeing them in person, I would definitley stay at the Carrol Villa again. The big difference for us was food/entertainment and location.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
Mantua, NJ
Reviewed 26 May 2010

Elegant charm in a comfortable , friendly atmosphere right in the heart of town & just steps to the beach. This place offers the best of everything at an affordable rate! My room was lovely & cozy full of old fashion charm but had all of the upgrades such as a new private bath complete with hair dryer & in shower bath products, air conditioning, flat screen TV., iron & ironing board, & in room fridge. It was the perfect blend of a Victorian b&b & a fine New York City hotel.
The restaurant & bar offers fine dining as well as a tavern style menu. Their clam chower is a must try- not your typical New England thick with potatoes, but a creamy delight touched off with a hint of saffron. It's rich & delicious like nothing you'll have anywhere else. The appetizer menu is outrageously sumptuous, but something simply delicious are their chicken wings crisp & spicy sweet to the bite yet tender & juicy to the finish. You could make a meal of the appetizers because you'll want to try them all, but don't deprive yourself of the dinner entrees. The sea scallops over lobster ravioli & wild mushrooms were a triumph. The scallops were huge & tender & the flavors of the mushrooms & lobster ravioli were just out of this world.
At the bar you can enjoy anything from a micro brew to something off the martini menu. Another must try is the "A Taste of Paris" martini. Delicious & refreshing served with its individual martini shaker.
The owners, Mark & Pam are down to earth and hands on. Leading by example, they give their all at making sure your visit is everything you want it to be, and then some. This energy is filtered down through the ever smiling staff.
This is a place you'll want to revisit again & again & bring everyone you know.

• Stayed May 2010
1 Thank Lgellien
Rangers1, Owner at Carroll Villa Hotel, responded to this review, 28 May 2010
We are thrilled to know you enjoyed your time with us. It helps to know we are on the right track.
I have passed your comments regarding the restaurant and our staff on so that everyone is aware that their efforts are appreciated. We will continue to do our best to offer a pleasant stay and excellent meals. Thank you again for your kind comments. We look forward to your return visit.
NJ
Reviewed 26 May 2010

I had never stayed at a B&B before so I wasn't sure what to expect. The place is very cozy and you feel like you're staying in someone's house, which was a little weird for me at first, but I got used to it after the first night. The house is very old and it has a musty smell in some areas, but I guess that's to be expected. Overall, it was ok, but I don't think I'd go back mainly because I prefer the modern amenities you get at a hotel and maybe B&B's are not for me. I'll list pros and cons:
Pros:
Location (close to everything), The restaurant is amazing. Best food I've ever had in a restaurant. It's pricey, but they give you vouchers for breakfast and 30% off dinner, so that helps. The lady who did housekeeping was very good. It was pretty quiet at night, so that was a definite plus.
Cons:
Nowhere to park. You have to park in an unpaved lot about a 10 minute walk. It's not that bad, but can be inconvenient. Obviously, since it's an old house, there is no elevator, so you have to lug your luggage up a few flights of stairs. The room I was in was small and the bed was uncomfortable. The A/C looked like it was old and so I did not want to use it. Thankfully, it was not hot when I was there so I kept the window open. There was also a ceiling fan. They have free wifi but I was not able to connect to it.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled solo
Rangers1, Owner at Carroll Villa Hotel, responded to this review, 29 May 2010
We are sorry to see you did not totally enjoy your first B&B experience. We do wish to let you know that we would have been happy to address any concerns or dislikes you may have had if you had let us know. It is our policy to try to make our guests as comfortable as possible. Unfortunately, parking is an issue all over Cape May and most people do not need their cars once they arrive since the majority of the city is accessible by walking from our hotel. As you have very correctly stated, B&Bs are not for everyone and you are not the first to tell us so. We do hope however, that you will return to enjoy more meals at the Mad Batter and thank you for your comments.
marlton
Reviewed 21 May 2010

Hotel is loaded with old world charm and homey. You feel as if you are staying at a friends house not a hotel. Good location. You can walk to everything you need beach, restaurants and shopping. You get a food voucher and the breakfast is delicious! The staff at the hotel and restaurant are all very friendly and helpful. Loved it!

New York CIty
Reviewed 21 May 2010

Friendly staff, great location, cozy (but small) rooms and the Mad Hatter restaurant had very good food.

Norwalk, OH
Reviewed 20 May 2010

My wife and I have been regular visitors to Cape May for more than 20 years. We'd always stayed in B&B's as Cape May is famous for them, but this time opted for the Carroll Villa Hotel. We found all the warmth and charm you'd expect at a B&B plus the wonderful Mad Batter Restaurant which was very, very good. And all of the staff at the hotel were extremely gracious and friendly. What's happened now is that we've gone full circle. When we visit Cape May, the Carroll Villa Hotel is our spot!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Plymouth Meeting, PA
Reviewed 19 May 2010

This was our third visit to the Carroll Villa (May 14-16). We stayed in Room 20 - the only room on the first floor with a lovely porch. You cannot pick a better location. You can walk to the beach, shopping and restaurants which is a big plus. Kathi checked us in and could not have been nicer. Eva from Housekeeping helped me with Maintenance when I had difficulty getting a TV channel from Spanish to English. We thoroughly enjoyed Happy Hour (half-price drinks) and ate sandwiches at the bar quite comfortably. Our breakfasts at the Mad Batter were included with our room. The only difficulty I encountered was getting a good wireless signal in my room, but I brough my satellite radio and it had good signal. We plan to visit again soon and can't wait to be in Cape May at the Carroll Villa.