“A Wonderful Experience”
Review of The Cliveden Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Cliveden Inn
Ranked #37 of 39 Cape May B&B and Inns
Newark, Delaware
“A Wonderful Experience”
Reviewed 20 June 2009

I traveled to Cape May with my parents (I'm an adult) and my mom made reservations at the Cliveden Inn because she found it to be one of the better values, and the owner, Sue was friendly and helpful when she called.

I loved our stay at the Cliveden. A previous reviewer commented that the rooms were very small. I don't see how this is possible - we peeked into almost all of the rooms (except for on the third floor) and all of them were huge. Furthermore, each has a private bath, which you do not always find in a B&B. Our room had both a large main bedroom with a door and a twin bed in the passageway - this was a good feature for the extra privacy since we are all adults traveling together. The decor was very nice - not cloyingly Victorian, and certainly not cheap as a prior reviewer commented - everything looked like antiques or antique reproductions. There was a small problem with the toilet - not unexpected in an old home - and it was addressed right away. One of the previous reviewers also commented that there were no toiletries or high dryers in the bathrooms - we stay exclusively in B&Bs, and I've never been in one that offered these amenities.

The food was fantastic! Breakfast was a warm, delicious entree, 2 types of breads, fruit, coffee/tea and juice. The plates that were available were tiny, so it was easy to carry them out onto the porch and manage them from the end tables. Yes, I was a little surprised that there was not a dining table - again, this is not unique to this B&B - but I quickly came to love the experience of starting every day outside. The afternoon tea was a lovely, relaxing benefit. We were always asked if we were done with the tea before it was cleared away. On the day or two where we were the only guests, Sue actually remembered how we each took our coffee.

In addition to the lovely home itself, the Cliveden Inn offers several other benefits. It is 2 blocks from the beach and a short walk to the downtown. Each guest has access to the use free bikes, beach towels, and beach chairs (there is even an outdoor shower). We were allowed to store food in an extra refrigerator, which we used to make our lunches on the porch. There was also a water cooler, which was a godsend, and a decent-sized selection of books to choose from. The cottage looked large from the outside and the people that stayed there selected it because the Cliveden accepts pets (perhaps only small pets? Not sure.). Columbia Avenue seemed to be a well-traveled street, at least on the weekend - although not noisy - so the people-watching from the porch was very entertaining.

Every time we had a question or a problem the staff was extremely pleasant and helpful. We spoke with Sue a bit more after we were the only guests there, which was a delightful experience. I would definitely recommend the Cliveden Inn to anyone.

• Stayed May 2009

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Philly
Reviewed 27 May 2007

My husband and I stayed here for our 1 year wedding anniversary. Upon arrival we were immediately greeted by staff. She knew my husband's name without even looking at her papers. The room was adorable and the clawfoot tub was delightful! Although there were 2 small ants in the room, that was to be expected in an old room. Other than that the room was perfect and extremely clean. Not a detail was missed in this getaway. Centrally located on Columbia, we parked our car (no parking meters on this street - free parking!) the first day and didn't move it again until we left to go home! We rode our bikes to the beach, washington street, dinner, etc. This b and b is located on a horse and carriage route so it was neat to hear the sound of the horses coming down the quiet street. I would recommend this to anyone and would certainly go there again.

• Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
ny
Reviewed 4 September 2006

Nice Room, Great breakfast, Excellent location what's not to like?

Eating breakfast in a rocking chair on the porch is a treat.

A good value in a super town.

• Stayed September 2006
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
north-west New Jersey
Reviewed 10 August 2006

I stayed at The Clivedon Inn recently. From the pictures and the description on their website, I was expecting the homey comfort and graciousness I have experienced in other Cape May Bed and Breakfasts. What I got was second class treatment, at best. The photos of the rooms on The Clivedon's website were taken with a wideangle lens, making them appear MUCH larger than they really were. Our bathroom was so narrow, I had to walk sideways in it. The "Parlor", where breakfast and tea are served, is actually the front entrance hall- the diningroom and front parlor had been converted into guest rooms. It is too small and narrow to seat more than a few guests, and there was no suitable table to eat at, comfortably. You ate from your lap or off of an endtable This room was not air conditioned. The breakfast buffet consisted of one hot dish, and there was no offer to take requests for other dishes, as in most Bed and Breakfasts. The woman who cooked during the week made a good baked French toast, but each day was a variation of this same dish. The personality-less woman who checked us in and cooked on the weekends must have trained in a school cafeteria. Her cooking was tasteless and soggy. At "Tea" she served barely cool iced-tea and lemonade, without any ice available on the table. The "hostess" of the Inn, although warm and engaging on the phone when I made my reservation, seemed to "care less" once I was there and said little more than goodmorning to me the entire time I was there.

6 Thank mareim
capemay2, Owner-Sue DeRosa at The Cliveden Inn, responded to this review, 8 November 2006
We were very sorry to read your review. We feel it is always best when dissatisfied to bring any problem to our attention. It is only fair to give us a chance to rectify the problem. We do live on site and are always available. When we purchased The Cliveden Inn 19 years ago, one of our attractions to the property was the nice size of the rooms. A few are smaller but most are large by B&B standards. All of our bedrooms are air-conditioned.
We are a seasonal business and the focus of our summers is breakfast on the verandah. Here there are many tables and chairs to chose from. This is very much a Cape May kind of tradition. Though you didn't enjoy our entree we hope you did like our breads, muffins. freash fruit and cheese plate. Whenever someone does not care for our entree ou has dietary needs, I, Sue, am always happy to make a breakfast to order. I have published my own cookbook and sold well over 1,000 copies to our guests.
We apologize for warm tea and lemonade. Our tea time is quite long 1 1/2 to 2 hours and we will pay more attention to this in the future. Definitley ice buckets next summer.
In closing, it is always best to find the owner and address these problems so you can enjoy yourself and so we have a heppy guests.
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 7 July 2005

Room is small and the furniture and decorations are cheap. There is no Shampoo and hair dryer in the bathroom. Breakfast was very basic., fruit salad was not fresh and the muffins are dry. The owner was not very friendly either. We stayed for 3 nights and the owner only said Hi and nothing else to us. For $170 a night, we basically got a motel treatment. Never stay there again. It's the worst B&B I ever stayed!

• Stayed July 2005
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 10 August 2004

We enjoyed our stay at the Clividen. The hosts were accommidating. The breakfast was decent and our room (one of the cheaper ones) was what you expect in an older B&B -- quaint, romantic, tastefully decorated but not luxurious. The porch was great to hang out on, especially during breakfast. The Clividen is also centrally located -- near the beach and shopping. I would recommend it to someone looking for a small, romantic B&B.

• Stayed September 2003