When looking for a place to stay in Cape May, be forewarned that ocean front hotels are very pricey--especially on weekends, and even before the start of the busy Summer season. We thought briefly of staying at a Bed and Breakfast to save on costs, but were worried that we might have to "Share a bathroom down the hall," or that we wouldn't have air conditioning if we needed it.
Anyway, the Marquis gives AAA members a 25 percent discount and a free full-breakfast buffet each morning, which makes the whole thing a bit more enticing. It also has a weird architectural "style" comprised of a turn-of-the -century psuedo-Victorian interior and a garish art-deco-ish.exterior. It's primarily a family establishment, with staff and guests very pleasant and friendly. The pool is clean and well-managed, althought he water was a bit overheated and I can see how the limited number of poolside lounge chairs could easily run out very quickly once the busy season begins.
Keep in mind that the Marquis is extremely well-situated. You can't get any closer to the beach and there is a hub of activity nearby in an open-air shopping district. Think gift shops, clothing stores, crafts, book stores, ice cream parlors, restaurants, artists, fudge, etc. There is also a kiosk handy for booking all side trips, trolley rides and excursions.
You may also want to know that the Marquis is well stocked with ice, soda and snack machines. The suite gives you a nice ocean view from the balcony and things are very quiet. The room is also pitch black at night which contributes to sound sleeping.
Again, the service is also very prompt if you need extra towels and shampoo, or if the remote to your ancient TV doesn't work good. Others on this site have have complained of rudeness or billing problems, but we didn't encounter any of that. My feeling is that if you are polite and reasonable and play by the rules you won't run into any difficulty.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Marquis de Lafayette is a premier hotel centrally located in America's original sea side resort. Our property is directly across the street from Cape May's amazing beach and within walking distance to Cape May's famous Washington Street Mall. Breakfast is served every morning in our restaurant 501 Beach, lunch & cocktails served daily at our poolside Barefoot Bar (in season), 1 Parking permit is provided for each room reserved. We are the pet friendliest hotel in Cape May with 17 Pet Friendly rooms! Reservations including pets may only be reserved directly through the hotel (NOT ONLINE) ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Marquis De Lafayette Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Marquis De Lafayette Cape May
- Hotel Marquis De Lafayette
- Marquis De Lafayette Hotel Cape May, New Jersey