“Beware misleading policies”

Marquis De Lafayette Hotel
Ranked #30 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
Reviewed 10 July 2011

Cancellation policies on the hotel website are false. Website says you are charged $50 if you cancel a "published" rate more than 10 days before arrival. Wrong. Hotel charges a full night's stay if you cancel, not $50. Manager on duty ("Joan") interrupted constantly, was rude and offensive, and said she could do nothing. I asked to speak to her supervisor, she said she did "not report to anyone." Will be disputing charges. Sorry we could not go to Cape May, glad we did not stay here.

4  Thank worldwidebum

Reviewed 7 July 2011

We have stayed here for past 5 years. The sixth floor is recently renovated and equal to a homewood suite level,, although of course you pay much more. All rooms in lower floors are disgraceful. Gguess where we stayed this year.
The rooms are dark and depressing with very little light. To compound that problem, the owners made a brave but fateful decision to decorate with dark carpets and heavy dark furniture. Theairconditioning is standard jersey shore wal unit so the air was musty and cool. The sheets were thin and the blanket worn. The pool was dirty, small and overcrowded. The hotel requires badges to avoid public from taking advantage of the pool.....give me a break!
The breakfast has gone downhill ove the past 5 years. If you like cannedfruit, frozen prepackaged french toast andd dirty plates, the this is your place.

Next year we are staying at congress hall.

Room Tip: Stay on sixth floor
11  Thank Familytrip123456
Veesh62, Manager at Marquis De Lafayette Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2011

Our response to this review can only attempt to demonstrate that our staff makes all efforts to make everyone’s stay pleasurable. They are open to constructive criticism and make every attempt to resolve issues if they occur. However, we must first be given the opportunity to do so. Read on for our reply to this reviewers complaint(s).

The style of the hotel is in keeping with the Victorian theme of the City of Cape May. Our suites are considered Late Victorian and standard rooms are a wicker motif; not much different from what you might see in a bed in breakfast. Granted, the penthouses were built with hardwood floors rather than carpeting but they still have the dark wood furnishings. All our rooms and floor plans are pictured on the web site for everyone to see by clicking on ACCOMMODATIONS then on the name of the room. Windows are located at the rooms’ entrance and at the ocean front balcony providing as much natural light as possible into the suites as well as table, floor, and ceiling fan lights that provide adjustable light intensity.

Linens are ordered new, in bulk, a few times a year as necessary and are inspected throughout the laundry process. We use only heavy-duty Vellux® blankets and a comforter on top of that. Everything used in the rooms is of hotel quality and taken out of circulation when no longer pristine. Just one word from the reviewer about their dissatisfaction and the beds would have been stripped and remade to their liking.

We sustain a routine to go through all rooms several times throughout the highly humid summer months (when the rooms are available) to keep ahead of our air conditioner maintenance. In an 83 unit hotel this can be a daunting task and be difficult to keep ahead of, but we make a concerted effort to do so. Had the reviewer mentioned this problem upon arrival or at any time during their stay, their room would have been changed or at the very least it would have been made a priority for service making every attempt to remedy the situation with as little disruption as possible.

Our Facebook page shows recent photos of the pool area. There are thirty-two lounge chairs with umbrellas and additional regular seating as needed. Before the pool opens each morning, the water is checked, skimmed, and vacuumed. The pool attendant is on duty from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. daily and is responsible for helping our guests, collecting used pool towel for laundry, replenishing fresh towels, removing trash, and additional duties as needed throughout the day. At the end of the day the pool area is hosed down and chairs are wiped. Chemical levels are monitored and recorded several times a day as required by the New Jersey Health Code and it is inspected by officials (without notice) throughout the summer. Pool passes are a necessity to ensure this amenity is solely used for our customers. This system has worked extremely well for several years and continues to thwart local teens and other people from trying to use an amenity they are not entitled to use. Cape May sells their tags to use the beach, which we reimburse to our guests depending on the package. Our pool tags are free to hotel guests.

Our breakfast has seen one of the best years ever! Everything is cooked and prepared from fresh products; produce is delivered daily and never taken out of a can.

Reviewed 6 July 2011

I came down here with my family because we needed a break away from home with the passing of my mother, so we went over our budget and paid over $420 a night (before the Holiday weekend) It was myself & husband and our 2 small children. We arrived and went to the desk, there was this nasty miserable older lady with brown short hair who claimed she was the "manager" when we saw what type of room we were in and I confronted her about the difference in price as what we were quoted. They told us they could change the prices without notifying us and that the Holiday prices included Tuesday, Weds, and Thurs. I didn't argue, I continued checking in... She never smiled once, never asked us how our drive was, never even said enjoy your stay after she handed our keys to us an hour after we got there... close to 5pm. We got up to your room and it wasn't what we expected or what we were described over the phone while making the reservation. I could have stayed at many other beach fronts with pools for a lot cheaper during the week and probably had gotten better service. We had come down later to get food from their "place" and let me tell you, not worth the money. Food was cold... and not worth paying for. The server was the only NICE thing. During our stay a man was near us by the pool, he had ordered food and the food that got served was chicken and it was so RAW, the manager said she sorry and that they wouldn't charge him for it and then turned her head away (as what the man told us after he went in to the lobby to talk to a manager. What a great manager she was and how she handled it, they are lucky he doesn't sue or get food poisoning. At checkout, same lady was there... and another older lady who was also miserable with blonde hair (I mean come on people its a job, smile" I didn't get a "How was your stay?" "Thank you for staying" or even "Have a safe trip home" I got NOTHING... They also gave you a free spot for one car... if your going to stay--- leave your car in a spot for the whole stay because they run out of spots and they don't seem to care.

Room Tip: Paying HIGH prices doesn't mean you are going to get a nice room or nice service GO elswhere
9  Thank SnowbellPA101
Veesh62, Manager at Marquis De Lafayette Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2011

Without having the details of the stay or the ability to check the reviewers billing it would be impossible to know what type of package or room was booked and at what price. However, customers do have the ability to go online to look at pictures of rooms and to review their reservation details by checking the confirmation letter that is sent within days of booking a stay. Had there been a discrepancy a manager could have reviewed the reservation with the customer prior to arrival. For the record, once a confirmation is sent rates are never increased. We have static Published Rates which include two adults and two children under the age of eight years old. Unless stated otherwise, it also includes a complimentary breakfast buffet, beach tag reimbursement, and sufficient, guaranteed parking for one vehicle per guest room. All specials, packages, and promotions are discounted from these base rates. The only variable is when the occupancy is different than first reported by the customer, which could result in a refund or additional charge. There was a very attractive package that was promoted during the first two weeks of July offering $50 off the lowest packaged rate per night for stays during the week between Sunday and Thursday. If the stay did not follow this criterion then the rate would not have been available as this guest may have thought.

Customer service can be one of the most rewarding positions to be in. It is not always possible to satisfy everyone 100% of the time. However, nothing is ignored. If there is a problem we make every attempt to resolve the matter if we are told about it. If there is a question about rates, we will ensure that the best rate was provided. We operate with integrity. Even though that sometimes isn’t enough to satisfy a complainant we can only go home at the end of the day knowing we did our best, even under the most difficult of situations.

Reviewed 4 July 2011

Hard to find a jump off point- utter disaster. Put aside the fact a barely 3 star hotel can demand 4-5 star prices because of its proximity to the beach- accepted fact of lunacy. Here's a few nuggets:

- this hotel hasn't seen a renovation since the early 80s'- rooms were in shambles- furniture, carpets, bathrooms, sheets, televisions- better amenities in a hospital room.
- when we called for our room to be serviced, the front desk seemed irritated and nobody showed up. When we called back 3 hours later, you'd think I insulted their children.
- the front desk staff were as rude as I've ever encountered- annoyed with any request. When we needed towels, the quick response was, 'housekeeping will be by sometime and they'll have towels.' when I popped my head out the door- housekeeping was nowhere in site. Called back and the exasperated response was a heavy sigh and a 'I'll see if I can send someone.'
- so psyched we sprung for the room with the pullout couch- if you're into sleeping on a sheet with a sack of rocks underneath- it's a gem.
SORRY- am I not payin 400 a night for a suite?! If I want a towel, housekeeping, or sheets- get yourself up here with a smile!

Dear Marquis- surprise announcement- you're in the hospitality business. You're actually supposed to be nice to people.

(a note- pool and housekeeping staff were very pleasant) ...

10  Thank razorland
Veesh62, Manager at Marquis De Lafayette Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2011

Our last major renovation was in 2004. Throughout the season and on a daily basis we perform preventative maintenance, and replace furniture, mattresses, rugs, appliances, and a variety of other items as needed. Everything is in working order. Should it fail it is either repaired or replaced.

Room service is performed daily between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. Maids are specifically assigned to certain rooms. They work diligently throughout their day working as quickly as possible to ensure that their services and arrivals are all done before 4 p.m. We apologize if our housekeeping department was unable to provide your service at the exact time you requested. However, this is the most hectic part of the day for both the maids and the front desk. I am sure they did their best to get to you when they could. Regrettably that did not meet with your expectations.

Reviewed 3 July 2011

My husband and I have been coming to Cape May for years. Usually, we travel here without the kids and stay in a Bed & Breakfast (our annual weekend "alone"). This year, we decided to spend an additional weekend in Cape May and take the kids. We booked our trip very last minute and decided to stay at the Marquis De Lafayette because we knew the location was good. We booked online via Hotels.com. Since we booked online and at the last minute, we paid a pretty high rate to stay here but we made peace with it because we really wanted to get away. Well, shame on us for doing so. We go to check in and the unpleasant manager working the desk made me fill out a form stating who was staying in the room and the age of each person. While filling out the form, I noted that she was watching me. As soon as I put the ages of my children down (ages 9 and 11), the manager said "Oh, you need to pay $100 in "additional persons" fees because your children are over 8. They are considered adults." First off, that's the last thing any guest wants to hear upon check in. She wasn't even apologetic about it. I mentioned that I did not see anything about this fee when I booked on Hotels.com and she mentioned that there was a clause. So, I looked at the confirmation and sure enough, on the third page, there was a sentence saying something about possibly being charged for additional persons (nothing specific though regarding ages or the rate). So, what the hotel did was legal. However, the approach, making me fill out a form and watching me as I fill it out, hit me as very SNEAKY and UNDERHANDED. Also, the policy, considering a child over 8 to be an adult, is RIDICULOUS. Maybe 12 years of age and older, but over eight years old? Please! So, I basically paid $450/night for my family to stay in what looked liked a very worn, dated, motel 6. The air conditioner was so loud, it made a rattling noise and kept my 9 year old up half the night. Also, the hotel advertises that they reimburse you for the cost of your beach badges. Of course, when my husband produced the badges at check out, the same unpleasant manager informed us that we would not be reimbursed the $10 for our badges because we booked via Hotels.com. I would also like to mention that the Marquis had many "rules and regulations" (where to hang towels, $75 replacement fee for room towels, $5 replacement fee for pool badges) that made me feel very unwelcome, almost like a criminal. So, I hope the management at the Marquis De Lafayette feels good about the money they made this weekend. Go ahead, keep nickel and dime-ing your guests. They won't be back.

11  Thank Restaurantmom

Even when booking through a third party site it is advisable to check the policies of the hotel as they are presented on that company's site before committing to a reservation. Abiding by our own policies is not "sneaky and underhanded". We are very upfront about all our fees. Customers may not appreciate our "rules and regulations" but they are in place for a reason. It is regrettable that this reviewer feels slighted by them. That is not the intent.

Reviewed 27 June 2011

It is a nice hotel with a good pool and pool bar. The rooms are not fancy but nice and clean with all amenities we needed. The morning breakfast even though free was very disorganized and not great but otherwise we had a great stay. The location is in the middle of everything and can't be beat.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank kidrou

The Marquis de Lafayette Hotel is centrally located on the beach front-can't beat this location! The Housekeeping and Maintenance departments do an impeccable maintaining the property. The complimentary buffet breakfast is usually very popular with our customers. Our thanks to this reviewer for taking the time to post their comments.

Reviewed 23 June 2011

We stayed at the Marquis De Lafayette Hotel from June 15 - 18, 2011 with two adults and three children (2, 4, and 7) in the Cathedral Penthouse Suites. We found the internet rates to give us a reasonable rate for such a large one bedroom suite on the sixth floor with ocean view. The suite was very clean and with two double beds in the bedroom and a queen-size sleeper in the living room. A buffet breakfast is included with your stay for each day. The restaurant staff are amazing...especially Ioan (pronounced "John'), he has amazing customer services skills, hustles to ensure you receive anything you need fast, and also helps entertain the kids while eating. He had our girls smiling and laughing everyday at breakfast. The hotel is located right across the street from the beach but has a very nice pool and outside bar area. During the summer months, there is poolside restaurant and drink service also. We went to the beach one day (which the hotel provides beach towels for) and then went to the pool for the remainder of the trip. Sitting poolside and being waited on was great. Our girls loved the pool. The location of this hotel is the best. It is located in the historic area of Cape May within walking distance to everything that matters...promenade, Washington Square, beach, restaurants, etc. We highly recommend this hotel for any family that is looking for a quality vacation. We are definitely going back.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank jwmiii1234
Veesh62, Manager at Marquis De Lafayette Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2011

Thank you for your review! We appreciate the time you took to let everyone know about your stay! Remember, we have a loyalty program that will give you a 25% discount on your next stay as a repeat customer. Check our web site for more details. We look forward to seeing you again!