“Website accurate, and more affordable than you think” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Marquis De Lafayette Hotel

Marquis De Lafayette Hotel
Ranked #29 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
wilmington
“Website accurate, and more affordable than you think”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2012

We came back from another great long weekend at the Marquis to be surprised by a review claiming the website is "phony". If you are unhappy with your stay, that is one thing, but to falsely accuse an establishment of a phony website is irresponsible. I looked over the website to see what they could be referring to. There is a photo of a staff person in a navy blazer with a name tag, in front of the front desk. If you choose to interpret that as a "uniformed concierge", you will be disappointed. The yellow silk orchids in the same picture were there for a long time, but have since apparently been retired. I hardly think that is cause to accuse someone of being misleading.

Most establishments in Cape May are family and locally run. They are not huge conglomerates with a deep bench of staff. If you are expecting a bunch of people at your beck and call, anticipating all your needs, you will again be disappointed. But when you call the desk with a specific problem it should be fixed, and it always has been for us. A previous guest had lifted the "Cool Cape May" reference book from our room, one of the cleaning staff called in sick on the Friday of a sold out weekend so we had no paper towels in our kitchenette, and the screen door on our penthouse balcony was missing (apparently gone for repairs). All were fixed within an hour.

The maid had saved a small item for us that we had left on a previous trip. She also opened the sofa bed where our son was staying and remade it every day. The room was immaculate. At breakfast we sat next to a couple who had been happily staying at the Marquis since 1984. Some of the little things we love are you always have a parking spot, you never have to wait long for an elevator, there are luggage caddies so you can do all your luggage in one trip, you are right across from a beach entrance, the breakfast is plentiful and delicious, and there is coffee in the rooms. And the wifi actually works. This is, of course, in addition to the best view and location in Cape May.

We like the fact that the bedrooms are dark, because we like to sleep in the dark. There is an overhead light and two bedside lights, so plenty of light when you need it. The living room is full of light from the beachfront view. There are blackout curtains in the living room, and drawers in the living room so anyone using the sofa bed can sleep and have some storage. The lobby is dominated by the original wooden desk from the 1800's version of the hotel, so if you don't like Victorian antiques, you won't like that either.

For some reason Trip Advisor estimates the cost of this hotel as one of the most expensive. It is not. It is in line with the other beachfront hotels. So check it out, it may be the one for you.

Room Tip: We always stay on the sixth floor.
4 Thank ontheway2cm

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Rye, New York, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2012

While the location of this hotel is excellent, it is in reall need of a facelift. We stayed in a suite where it was almost too dark to get dressed. The lighting is dismal, our ceiling fan over the bed didn't work and the living area space was tiny. Out bedroom in the back had only one high and locked window that made the room feel like a basement cabin on a cheap cruise ship! Lighting, new bedding and a price deduction are a must! And the lobbey is horrific. Also, at 3:30 our room was still not ready. The front desk gal said she would call us, but she never did.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Susan K

Travellers are raving about these Cape May hotels

Huntingdon Valley, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2012

If you visit the Marquis De Lafayette web site you see a photo of a conceirge in uniform in front of a desk with floral bouquets. Neither exists ...not the conceirge, nor anyone in uniform nor flowers on the front desk. What does exist is a lobby that is run down with ugly carpets and a front desk staff that goes from pleasant to grouchy depending on the situation. If all is well, they are fine; if you need service then forget it. The reviewer who was shouted at ...I totally believe it; if I could be shouted at by an Asst. Manager then why would the front desk staff be any different.

The hotel had a bomb scare on Aug. 28. The alarms went off about 4pm and no one came room to room to make sure we were out. In fact, the police were standing around outside waving their arms to people in the hotel (I did not hear the alarm ...it did not sound inside the rooms so eventually police did have to come floorto floor but only after about 15-20 minutes). We were asked to walk to an area about two blocks behind the hotel and that was the last we were told anything ...not by the police and not at all from any staff member of the hotel. While I know that staff also had to evacuate it would seem they would be trained to follow the guests and try to keep us calm, informed and comfortable.

So there were people with canes, dogs, seniors, etc. all standing around not knowing what to do or where to go or what exactly was wrong.

Fast forward a couple of hours and finally I was able to find out from one of the firemen that there was a "health hazard in the hotel" and they had no idea when we would be back in. As a result my husband and I (my husband has some issues walking and we needed somewhere to relax ...we are both seniors) checked into another hotel nearby.

Finally around 8 pm or later we saw people heading back to the Marquis. I went over and there were guests in the lobby. The woman at the front desk did not even greet us but was doing whatever and keeping her head down. A representative from the Prosecutor's office was in the lobby telling us what happened. I asked to talk with a manager and no one was present.

The next morning we came back to the hotel. Again I wanted to see a manager and discuss my need to go to another property the night before. The woman at the front desk took my phone number and said the manager would call when he got in. The end line is that I finally learned at 2pm that Wednesday was the General Manager's "day off"; there was no security present at the hotel and no police presence even though the bomb scare was in the form of a note found by a staff member. Everyone seemed to feel there were no issues with any of that.

I finally talked with an Asst Manager who told me "I was the only one who complained and there would be no compensation" and I was also told "I was being ridiculous". She did say I could cut my trip short and leave and they would refund my money. My husband and I left within the hour.

The hotel is run down, not totally clean; rooms are dark with old furniture; dark walls and little light. The bathroom is very small. We had a "suite" which consisted of a bedroom; a small living room with a kitchen set up jammed in between both rooms and across from the bathroom. The windows are covered with only dark curtains so you cannot get any light in unless you open the balcony door. In the bedroom was a large wooden wardrobe closit ...no bureau or anything with a top to set items ...the bureau was actually in the living room area??

The breakfast is decent but the restaurant is also old with dark, dirty carpeting. The dining room staff was pleasant.

I would never stay at this hotel nor would I ever recommend it.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank marih98
Long Beach, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2012

My cousin was getting married in Cape May last weekend so I made a reservation earlier in the summer. I was told there was a two night minimum and decided to make it Friday/Saturday night so I could arrive Saturday morning and get dressed at the hotel.

I checked in Saturday morning.... or I tried to check in Saturday morning. Initially the woman at the desk told me check in was 4pm. When I told her my reservation included the previous night she YELLED at me that I was a no show. When I explained that, in fact, I called Friday afternoon to confirm my reservation and confirm that I would arrive Saturday morning, she yelled at me again. Then she got mad because the reservation was misfiled.

In case anyone thinks it may have been me, thirty minutes later my cousin checked into the hotel and the same thing happened to her. She got yelled at, too!

I have never paid to get yelled at before in a hotel and frankly hope to never repeat this experience! Needless to say, I will never stay at this hotel again.

I would like to make one tiny little suggestion though. People that obviously hate their jobs should be removed. This horrible woman at the hotel's front desk should not be representing the hotel to guests unless they want to be the only vacant hotel in Cape May! No one will want to stay there!

5 Thank Elaine P
Edison, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2012

my boyfriend and i stayed here and it was very nice, very clean, it was a little pricey but it was worth it, all the rooms are ocean veiw, they exept pets, it is a non smoking hotel. you have to smoke out side in the parking lot, my boyfriend and i are both smokers so it was a little anoying. they only things that i did have a problem with was that they made us pay all the money in advance and if you cant make it or the weather is bad they dont do refunds, and also some of the staff at the front dest was a little rude, and the other thing that i had a problem with was check in was at 4 and check out is at 11 we walked in the hotel at about 11:30 and the lady at the front said they were cleaning the room and it would be ready soon. we waited about 3 hours and we finally got the room . and the last thing that i did not like too much was the pool. they closed the pool every night at 7 pm every hotle i ever stayed in the pool was at least opened untill 9pm if not latter. but other then that the hotel was nice.

Room Tip: -"the higher you go the nicer the rooms" -"the rooms on the right (3 floors not 6) a...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank daniele c
Coal Township, PA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2012

Start at the beginning, at check in,we were told that we didn't really reserve an accessible room, but that my wife would be able to get out of her wheelchair and hop to the toilet or tub! She only has one leg and has been in this condition for over twenty years,(we don't "forget" to ask for ADA accessible rooms)! I was told that they only have one (1) ADA room and it was booked, but they took our reservation anyway. One girl did offer to change our room to a "pet friendly" room. I don't know, maybe those rooms have shower seats, roll-in showers,safety grab bars, 17 inch high toilets and extra wide doors for the really big dogs! The room was just clean, not sparkling as the bathroom floor still had a little dirt and pubic hair on it. I guess its a good thing my wife's wheel-chair couldn't get in the door because she would have complained about that. However, she couldn't safely pee, poop or shower so I guess its a good thing we only stayed one night. Lobby, hallways, elevators and pool area are not wheel-chair convenient at all, in fact it seems they have put runner carpets down to dress things up a bit but this only makes it very difficult to roll straight in the chair. (if your in a chair , you know what I mean.)
Its not all bad though, the maintenance man tried his best to be helpful, though he didn't have much to work with. He brought us a shower seat to try to make it possible for her to shower, however, it was for a right handed shower, and we had a left handed tub with no hand rails. So its probably a good thing she couldn't get in the bathroom anyway.
As you can tell at this point, I was not at all pleased with this stay. We love Cape May and will never stop coming back, but it will not be to the Marquis De Lafayette Hotel.

If you or any of your loved ones is/are handicapped then I wouldn't waste my time or money on this place. The location is not worth the aggravation.

Room Tip: If you can, book a room at some other hotel like the Le Mer.
3 Thank Robert C
Veesh62, Manager at Marquis De Lafayette Hotel, responded to this review, 9 September 2012
Although the Marquis de Lafayette Hotel had been a grandfathered property, the management has made great strides in making as many changes (in accordance with and supervision by the ADA) to help accommodate guests with disabilities. We do have one unit that is a fully accessible ADA room. We also make room recommendations based on the information we are given and sometimes have to ask delicate questions to determine the extent of our guests' needs. We don't know if not enough questions were asked or if limited information was provided. I do know that every attempt was made to make you and your wife as comfortable as possible. Nonetheless, we extend our apologies for any inconvenience you experienced and regret we were unable to accommodate your needs.
Chalfont, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2012

We have stayed at this hotel many times and each time is as good as the rest. We travel with our small dog (Malti-chon) and stay in the special place reserved for pets - The Abbey. Each time the room has been meticulously cleaned and because it's on the first floor it's easy to take the dog out. It also faces the beach and ocean and we watch the world go by sitting on the rocking chairs outside of our room. The breakfast that comes with the reservation is, by far, the best we have encountered in any hotel. Everyone - from the desk, hotel staff and guests - is friendly and strives to go out of their way. We love the location - it's central to the super Washington Mall and other famous restaurants, homes, and beaches.

Room Tip: Call ahead of time as their rooms fill up fast. Ask for Jean at the front desk!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DonnaFrancesca
Thank you for your comments! We strive to give each and every unit in the house as much attention as we do our pet friendly rooms. We do agree that booking early during peak months is important when traveling with your pets. With only 17 rooms to accommodate our pet guests they do rent very quickly in the summer months. Hope to see you again soon!