“Best place to stay in Cape May!”

Marquis De Lafayette Hotel
Ranked #29 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
Reviewed 6 July 2014

I've stayed in several hotels in Cape May, and the Marquis is by far the best. Beautiful clean rooms with private balconies overlooking the beach; delicious brunch breakfast every day (for a small fee), and a great location for shopping and tours. The staff is friendly and accommodating, the pool is clean and inviting, and the beach is right across the street. I didn't bring my furry babies, but pet-friendly rooms are available. This is the place to stay!

Room Tip: Sixth floor suites are especially inviting.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 3 July 2014

We stayed here last year on our first trip to Cape May. It was an awful experience and certainly not worth the money. First of all the clerk at front desk was rude and arrogant from the get go.
Don't remember his name but he was an elderly man and had glasses and a mustache. When I asked him what an additional charge was for on my credit card for he snapped back in a loud voice " In cae you burn the place down" how F__king rude.So that was our first 5 minutes there. The room was on top floor at the end. It smelled damp and musty and internet didn't work. Free breakfast was fine if you don't mind eating in a restaurant that looks like the dingy old basement of a warehouse. The pool area was tiny and overcrowded with a lot of loud drunks at the bar. Screens in room had holes in them and dogs were barking all day and night.(They allow dogs in first floor rooms) I you want to stay in an old run down hotel that belongs on the set of Game of Thrones, this place would be perfect.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Gerald C
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We just spent three wonderful nights in Cape May and a highlight of our trip was our private balcony here. Just left this morning and missing hearing and seeing the ocean from the balcony. We have a toddler so we probably spend more time than other people in our room but it being ocean front, we didn't feel that we missed anything. You can't beat the location-we never moved our car after day one and could walk to the beach, the promenade, the shops on Washington and all of our favorite restaurants. The breakfast being included was nice but it was nothing to rave about-we forced ourselves to eat it since we were eating out for lunch and dinner and it was nice to not have to pay for breakfast. The bed was not super comfortable. The hotel is dated but the Victorian decor fits being in Cape May and it is clean. I would still stay here again despite the drawbacks because of the location, the private balconies, the clean pool, and the staff was all very, very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Sixth floor has newest rooms with the most private balconies.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Redclock B
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We have been staying at this hotel for about 15 years. Since we've gone there so often. It
always feels like "coming home". We love Cape May and the location of this hotel is perfect..
Each room has a balcony overlooking the ocean. The buffet breakfast is fabulous!
We prefer the Princess rooms for their charm. Love the wicker. The suites are good for
families. Everything (restaurants, shops, etc.) is within walking distance. We stayed there
last week for 4 nights with our son, daughter in law, granddaughter in 2 separate rooms. We never moved the car at all after checking in. We walked to everything. Some say hotel could use update
but I wouldn't want to trade that for all the Victorian charm and atmosphere. The front desk person Jean, is very friendly and helpful and always has a smile. I forgot to mention the heated pool
which a great amenity.

1  Thank Maggie441
Reviewed 28 June 2014

When we found this "GEM" of a hotel for my family and dog, we were excited.
Sadly we discovered this to be TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE. Though the staff was friendly, they were clueless. Lack of directions, useless front desk personnel and terrible parking all contributed to our stay. Be ware of booking online as they will overcharge you when you get the final bill. There are many other hotels to choose from, please look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Check your room before you pay a pet stay fee.
3  Thank Myster S
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We have stayed at 15 different places in Cape May and this is the place we come back to. All the conveniences of home (and more), overlooking the beach! Best location, best views, parking, kitchenette, great buffet breakfast, easy luggage transport, keurig in room, excellent housekeeping service, heated pool. So convenient, walk everywhere, right across from beach access, or just sit on your oceanfront balcony and watch the dolphins with your morning coffee or your afternoon glass of wine. Central location for jazz festival. Cute little gazebo pool bar open in the afternoon/evening. 24 hour desk solves any problems. We have had a remote battery replaced at 10 pm, and a sofa bed made up at 9 pm. Everyone is always friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: We always stay on the new sixth floor.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ontheway2cm
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I have been a visitor in Cape May for over 20 years and although I never stayed at this hotel before, I have been aware of it - it always looked pretty and conveniently located. Well, that about sums it up as far as pluses. I booked what I hoped to be a very special weekend with my daughter - Cape May has always been special to us and she is relocated to another state. I had to meet her there because I live in NJ and she in DE - be aware that parking is provided for only one car per room - parking for the three days ended up costing me over 40 dollars. There are no lots in town that will accommodate you overnight, although street parking is free from 10 pm until 10 a.m. I constantly had the knowledge of having to feed the meter or move my car in the back of my mind because the limit on meters is 3 hours. I arrived early for check in - my room was not ready, which is understandable ( arrived at 2:30 for a 4 p.m. check-in - saw three other people given their rooms before me before 4) and was told I would be called on my cell phone when my room is ready. I was not checked in until almost 5 p.m. and I was never called - I went back to the desk twice before my room was ready. The door to our balcony was broken - the handle came off repeatedly and we once got stuck out on the balcony. The room was very clean I must say. The beds were somewhat comfortable but quite old, including the mattresses. Neither the toilet paper or coffee supplies were replenished by our maid - I had to run down to the front desk for TP early Sunday morning. The complimentary breakfast is mediocre at best - do not let it be the selling point for you. The hotel guests are served in a different part of the restaurant than the public and the furnishings, lighting, all the ambiance is far inferior for the guests - our tablecloth was dirty. We had to ask for service, we never independently approached by a server in two days having breakfast there. The food was not fresh and very disappointing. They do have a beautiful pool. Very disappointing for a two night stay that cost close to $600. I do not recommend this hotel unless you need to be in Cape May for another occasion and have no other choice. Very disappointing for the money Will not return and will advise everyone who asked me to let them know how I liked it of my inability to positively endorse this hotel.

5  Thank sapphire522
mevansgm, General Manager at Marquis De Lafayette Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Thank you taking the time to share your experience with us. I apologize that we did not live up to your expectations. Please allow me the opportunity to address some of the concerns that you expressed here, as customer satisfaction and loyalty is important to us. Yes, we do provide parking limited to one car per guestroom; however that is due to the size of our lot. Extra spaces are not always available. If the hotel is at a lower occupancy and the lot can accommodate additional vehicles without hindering upon the availability for other guests to park, we happily do so. I would love the opportunity to speak with you personally regarding the remainder of your stay. From what you have shared, it seems that your time with us was the exception to our normal guest experience and I would like the opportunity to earn your business back. I understand and respect that your time is valuable. If you wish to share more details, please call me at 609-884-3500 ext 153.

Yours in Hospitality,