“Beautiful view, can't wait to go back!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Marquis De Lafayette Hotel

Marquis De Lafayette Hotel
Ranked #29 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
“Beautiful view, can't wait to go back!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

We booked this hotel last minute in June for a family weekend getaway for 5 adults. We were so happy we did! Our room was a suite on the 5th floor. Two beds in one room and a pullout couch in the living room. The two rooms were separated by a kitchenette. There was also a small balcony with an amazing ocean view. Although some areas of the hotel were in need of fresh paint, our room was immaculate. The hotel staff was very helpful and friendly, and the complimentary breakfast buffet was great! Fortunately the hotel is in walking distance of many restaurants, because the restaurant in the hotel only served breakfast. I really can't say enough about this hotel, we all can't wait to go back. ( They also give a discount to repeat customers)

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
      Rooms
1 Thank Smk2011

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Philadelphia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

The food in the restaurant on premise was not bad just one of my days there I had a young girl waitress maybe late teens who didn't seem to care about the tables at all. Not only did she neglect my party but I watched her stand there as her other tables needed coffee amongst other things. She literally ruined my meal. She was short with my table ne'er checked us as was jut plain rude. My only suggestion to this establishment is to make sure the wait staff pays more attention I saw a gentleman server and another woman, young but not as young as this "server", and they checked on their tables frequently. She just didn't seem to care about the patrons or business. I would only ask if I came back to NoT have her as a server.

• Stayed July 2014
      Rooms
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Vacaylov3
Wilmington, Delaware
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

I stayed in a beautiful room on the 6th floor the week of 14 July: steps from the beach, stupendous ocean views from balcony, helpful service.

Easy walking distance of most attractions and dining. I highly recommend this 6th floor room (with elevator access) in beautiful Cape May!

Room Tip: 6th floor has the best views!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank Julie N
Kutztown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

When searching for a hotel for this years vacation I came upon the Marquis de Lafayette. We were somewhat concerned with a few of the reviews but decided to give it a try anyway due to its location and close proximity not only to the beach but to the restaurants and shopping areas as well. At check-in, Peggy (the manager) Robyn and Karyn (front desk) were extremely pleasant and made us feel quite welcome and were very helpful and informative. Our room was exactly as it was pictured and immaculate! We loved our little balcony that had an ocean view and overlooked the pool and gazebo/bar area. Our room had a little kitchenette which was very helpful since a few of us have some food allergies. It allowed us to cook some of our own meals. One word of advice if you will be cooking there - there's no strainer for spaghetti, etc and no large sautee/fry pan for bigger meals. We had 6 adults in our room. Thankfully, my daughter brought her wok and we worked everything out. The only other thing is that the pull out couch, according to my son, was not the most comfortable thing he's slept on, but what pull out couch REALLY IS comfortable? I've never slept on one that I would rave about. LOL! It was somewhat cramped with the 6 of us in the room, especially with limited drawer space, but we worked it out. The breakfast that comes with your stay at the Marquis is ABSOLUTELY AWESOME! All of us looked forward to our meal every morning. There is something for everyone, even for me, since I have Celiacs Disease and must stay away from gluten - cereal, fresh fruit, yogurt, granola, muffins, donuts, potatoes, waffles, pancakes, fresh made omelette station, bacon, muffins with sausage gravy to mention but a few ... and we were always greeted upon entering and leaving by a very pleasant representative of the establishment who was always ready to help if you had any questions, etc. I cannot say enough about the staff!! Krystal worked as a pool attendant and in the dining area. Love love love that girl! Can't wait to see her next year!!! Joe worked at the pool as well. He and Krystal were amazing! They anticipated our every need whether it be towels, or chairs or getting us drinks from the bar. Both of them are personality plus! We felt like we had known them forever. Nothing was too much trouble! Mazz, the bartender on the weekends, makes THE BEST pina colada I've ever had! I've seen reviews where people say that the Marquis needs updating. In my opinion, it has the feel of a bygone era. I loved the little lobby with all the wicker chairs and the old time check-in desk. Many of the guests that we spoke with have been coming back to the Marquis year after year. Several even said they had been staying there for the last 30 years! Many of them brng their dogs since the Marquis has a certain number of pet friendly rooms. Initially, I thought of bringing our dogs but decided against it since I had no idea how they monitored the pet situations. Without exception, every person I spoke with that had brought along their pet said all their rooms were immaculate ... no pet odors, flea issues, etc. And I didn't hear ANY barking whatsoever. Perhaps next year we will bring our boys with us. All in all, this property has a lot going for it. The staff is phenomenal. The property is beach front, neat and tidy, close to shopping, etc. The staff is friendly and efficient. The pool has lounge chairs and umbrellas with towels and a small bar. Parking is at a premium in Cape May and it's great that you get to park for free on site - 1 car per room though. And a phenomenal breakfast is included with your stay! We can't wait to go back next year! 51 weeks to go and counting!!! Until next year, Marquis ...

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Andi072014
New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

We stayed at The Marquis for 2 nights, checking in Fri. 7/11 and checked out Sun. 7/13. We arrived at 6:30pm and our room was ready. Checking in was quick and easy- Pull your car up to the front while checking in, then move it to their parking lot in the back (for which you need a parking pass). Our room was exactly as pictured online and had an AMAZING little balcony overlooking the ocean front- we got to watch dolphins playing in the ocean on Sat. morning! The bed and towels were cozy, the sofa bed was a bit stiff. Everything was very clean. The included breakfast was better than we were anticipating- great omelettes to order and fresh waffles. The coffee and oj were so-so, though. The hotel's location can't be beat- right across from the beach and promenade, and right down the road from the town shopping center. We had a nice meal and enjoyed live entertainment at The Pilot House on our first night, and had a delicious Italian dinner at A Cara Mia on Sat night. We didn't have reservations for either, but were seated with little to no wait. We also waited in an insanely long line at Hot Dog Tommy's just a block away from the hotel for lunch one day, and it was worth it- creative hot dog or traditional toppings. During the days we spent time at the beach (bring your own chairs and you'll have to but at $6 day pass), took a trolley tour of the local historic buildings, and hung out at the hotel pool. The pool was clean and the pool attendant was good about providing towel set-up, etc. We were disappointed that the Tiki Bar was closed when we arrived on Fri, then on Sat the wait for service was so long we tried and gave up twice. Everyone we had contact with- the gentleman at the front desk, the servers at breakfast, housekeeping, etc.. was very nice and helpful. If you're a drinker, I recommend bringing your own and keeping in the provided fridge. Many restaurants are BYOB, also. Drinks on the balcony while ocean and people watching was my favorite part of the trip. There is a road in front of the hotel, so there was some noise of car and people traffic, but it wasn't really bothersome. At night, we took long walks down the promenade and played at the local arcades. After checking out on Sunday we shopped a little in town then visited the Cape May Winery, which I highly recommend! This hotel wasn't cheap, but I'm still happy with it and would love to return.

Room Tip: 6th floor in the new wing has larger balconies than most and relatively modern rooms. Room 608 was o...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Inkdot39
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

A woman who stated that she was management was extremely rude. Her tone of voice was condescending. While there was not one person in the pool area, I walked my greyhounds over to the area while on a leash. She got up from the BAR, stated that she was management, and said that my dogs could not be over at the pool, while referring to me as "honey". There was a sign that stated dogs are not allowed in the outdoor bar area, which I understand. But there was no sign for the pool area. Some "pet friendly" facility.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Leslie L

Travellers are raving about these Cape May hotels

Wayne, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

My family and I have stayed at this hotel on and off for the past 15 years and my husband's family 20+ back when he was little. This by far was the worst year. Hotel is looking rough. Girl at front desk...think her name is Robyn....extremely rude. Manager fixes anything you complain about by giving you a bottle of wine. Not a way to fix things. I talked my parents, in-laws and my sister and her family in staying there this year. Big mistake. My parents had two people walk in their room with key cards....manager told my dad well the people at the front desk don't ask for ID so anyone can get a key to your room. NICE. No safes either so that didn't make me feel good about leaving my kids ipads, etc. in the room. Staff is pretty clueless. Only nice respectable person in the entire hotel is the really nice kid who waits on you at the pool. VERY nice. Everyone at the hotel should take points from him. We are currently looking for a new hotel to stay at. Not interested in rude people not wanting to help with any problems we had other then a bottle of wine. No thanks. I know a lot of people too and will not recommend your hotel ever again. Please don't bother responding to this review either considering you wouldn't help when we were there two weeks ago. This hotel is too expensive and not kept well for the money. Restaurant where you eat breakfast isn't very clean, bar at pool looks run down, entire hotel looks run down. Only thing going for this hotel is right by the beach and close to shops, other then that stay somewhere else.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family