“A special place for our family”

and 1 more site!
Marquis De Lafayette Hotel
Ranked #30 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
Reviewed 21 April 2009

We just booked Memorial Day weekend! What a wonderful place to stay as we go back every year! The hotel is renovated & clean and has a charm like no other Victorian hotel. The rooms are comfortable and the views of the ocean and beach are breath taking. The hotel is centrally located so you rarely need to get in your car to dine or shop. When the beach enough come back to the pool and grab a frozen drink while the kids splash around! Relaxing!
Breakfast is delicious and never let us down. Of course we miss the breakfasts that used to be in the former restaurant on the top floor. The views were so pretty!! What a shame to have moved it to the ground floor. I can't complain because we all leave stuffed and so satisfied! Yum!
I would highly recommend the Marquis!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank Loren1122

Reviewed 17 April 2009

We have stayed at this hotel many times over the years and our pet loves it there. Sadly, due to their 'additional person' fees, what amounts to a small motel room would cost us $450 per night for a family of four with one dog. I understand the extra room charge for the pet, but $25 per night per child over 8 is ridiculous. Unless the hotel is just trying to discourage older children. In so doing, they have discouraged our entire family. In the past I have had reps who have worked with me to make it more affordable, but it seems in this economy, they can't be bothered. I tried to leave the recommendation blank but it wouldn't accept my review. The only reason I don't recommend the hotel is the price. Otherwise, I would stay there again.

I also have to add that I have found the front desk staff to be rude at times as well. We have stayed there for the location and the pet-friendly feature, but I'm sorry to say we probably won't be staying there again. And without the pets, there are certainly more affordable alternatives in town. Good breakfast, though, by the way.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 October 2008

We were due to stay for 2 nights this past weekend.

Upon arrival, we were informed - by the not-so-friendly woman working at the front desk, that our room wasn't ready and that they would call our cell phone when it was.

When we did check in a couple of hours later, we were very displeased with the accommodations. The room was damp, it did not smell very nice, the bedroom was like a dark dungeon with no windows, and the room was dirty. I sat on the floor and could see dirt, dust, crumbs, and I don't know what else under the television stand.

The ceiling fans did not work.

I put some water in the refrigerator and saw there was a lot of water laying at the bottom of it. When I wiped it up and it spilled out to the floor, the towels that I cleaned it up with were filthy.

Upon using the toilet, it wouldn't flush and overflowed.

Upon making a pot of coffee, the in-room coffee pot leaked all over the top of the microwave.

We checked out and went home.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
4  Thank shamrock0421
Veesh62, Manager at Marquis De Lafayette Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2008

Sometimes our employees fail to perform as we need them to. That is why we rely on and highly encourage our customers to let us know about issues to give us an opportunity to rectify the situation. There is a manager on duty from 8 a.m. until midnight on most days. Waiting until after you check out or posting comments on complaint sites instead of making us aware of problems as they occur doesn’t give us any opportunity to make your stay comfortable. There is nothing we can do after the fact. Not happy with your room? We can show you another one. Almost every issue has a reasonable and quick solution.

Our official check in time is 4 p.m. If the room is clean and inspected for release prior to this time our guests may check in as they become available. If they are not ready when a customer arrives early we ask for a cell phone number so we can reach them as soon as the room is released. We do this as a courtesy to our guests. Arriving early does not guarantee a room early. Readiness of a room depends on how early the previous guest checks out, and the workload of the housekeeping department. In the meantime, parking permits are issued and everyone is free to explore the town and stop for lunch instead of waiting in the lobby.

Toilets will block, light bulbs will burn out, and equipment will fail. On occasion, it happens in every home … with normal wear and tear. I’m sure it can be appreciated that in an 83 unit hotel it happens much more often. It goes with the territory and we make maintenance calls our priority—within a few minutes of a guest’s call to the front desk—24 hours a day. We don’t always find that the equipment is broken. Sometimes a quick demonstration on how everything in the rooms works does the trick. For example: Ceiling fans in all our rooms are regulated by a switch for power and two small rheostats to control the fan speed and brightness of the light. These switches sometimes can be hard to see. In an effort to conserve water, New Jersey State Law requires all hotels to install low-flow toilet tanks. A great concept however it doesn’t always provide a good flow to flush waste and excessive paper through the lines. A minor inconvenience to our guests, but a quick fix with a plunger for our maintenance department.

We are truly sorry that the reviewer’s experience did not meet with expectations but it could have if we were given the opportunity to make it better right from the start. We cannot imagine that the things written about were not satisfactorily resolved after reporting them to us. In addition, all our rooms have windows and televisions are either mounted on wall brackets or on a dresser that is flush with the floor. As the reviewer is anonymous we are unable to identify the specifics especially when descriptions do not match up. However if he/she is willing to identify themselves in a letter to the attention of our General Manager with the specific details of their stay outlining the problems and actions taken it would be thoroughly reviewed. Only then can we convene with the proper staff to ensure the failures do not happen again.

Reviewed 25 July 2008

My husband and I just returned, once again, to our home away from home. The Marquis is our getaway time for rest and relaxation. We have been spending our anniversary here now for years. Every time we go I keep asking myself the same question, "Can it get any better?". Well the answer is, "YES it can!". The service is wonderful, the staff is outstanding and the familiar faces of returning guests that you see year after year. I would think that if you see the same staff members and especially the same guests returning, I know that this hotel is doing something extremely outstanding.
I met a new employee while he was cleaning around the hotel. He was so friendly, polite and his first time working at the Marquis - his name is Khan. Thank you Khan for always having that wonderful smile of yours every time we saw you. Hector, thanks some much for your thoughtfulness & kindness by the pool. Claudia, our cleaning girl, "great" I wish I could take her home with me.
The location, the view, the great breakfast, the cleanliness of the rooms and friendly staff may not add up to a 5 Star hotel to some people, but to me it is a 10 Star! Their managerial staff is fantastic and thanks to Joan, Blair & Peggy and everyone for making this hotel my Home away from Home.
Please feel free to contact me with any questions.
Enjoy the Best Spot in Cape May!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ny2pa
Reviewed 30 June 2008

The location and the view are the best parts of this hotel the rest is below average. When you pay $500 dollars a night you can expect a lot more than what this hotel can offer. The quality of the staff is totally inconsistent. There are some very friendly young people working there but some others are just rude. I dont think that it is normal to be awaked at 8am on a Sunday by the alarm clock from the guy next door. Or to be able to clearly ear his personal conversations when trying to rest in your bedroom. When they say that the hotel has been renovated, do they really mean to install cheap plastic bathtubs?

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank Joman77
Reviewed 23 June 2008

This is our second trip to the Marquis. This hotel is absolutely magnificent. It is a dog friendly hotel, and the staff is very accommodating and gracious to you. We have 2 small dogs and can't wait to go back each year. They charge $100.00 cash as a security deposit for the pets and when they inspect the room they return it to you if no damage is done. We had 2 rockers in front of our ocean view room and sat there after dinner with our dogs after their walk and enjoyed the view.We suggest if you have kids to upgrade to one of the suites. The room was immaculate, many upgrades since the last time we were there, it keeps getting better each year. The buffet breakfast was awesome it included everything. The beach is literally right across the street, walking distance. We saw dolphins swimming, all shopping and attractions are in walking distance from there. The hotel also has a pool if you don't want to stay at the beach. Great food at the Marion around the corner with entertainment. We would highly suggest you stay here even if you don't have a dog. The Cape May area itself is family friendly and so are the restaurants. Thanks Marquis we'll see you soon.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank BENTLEYCt
Reviewed 19 June 2008

I have stayed at the Marquis for most of my 50 years and wouldn't really consider staying elsewhere. I enjoy the view from the balcony, the constant roar of the ocean, and being at the center of the beach area. I would highly recommend getting one of the suite rooms and avoiding the Abbey or Victoria rooms as they are too small for my liking, the suites are larger with two separate areas with the kitchenette and bathrooms dividing the room sections...most suites vary only in number of beds or small amenities, so consider your needs. The animal friendly rooms are on the ground floors and don't have the nicer view of the beach. The free breakfast is consistent, but seems to get a bit smaller with a few less items year after year.
This is a great place but don't expect 5 star service...this is a beachfront hotel and a lot of families stay here with children, so the pool area can be noisy during the day, but is quiet at night. All of the sights and sounds of the beach and nightlife are within a block or two and walking is the preferred mode for the local area, parking can be pricey, difficult to find, and expensive for a parking ticket...the hotel maintains several lots for it's customer's use, so parking isn't a problem if you are a guest.
In summary, I love the hotel and have come to recognize (and be recognized) by many of the longtime staff and other local merchants. The rooms are nice and next to the beach, but room service and a full service restaurant (other than breakfast) are two of the weak spots. If you want pampered, stay at the Congress Hall, if you want to enjoy he beach and relax listening to the surf and sea gulls, the Marquis is the place. Its not cheap, but it is in the center of the beach area and has a super view of the boardwalk and beach...the views from the top floors are spectacular and the best in the city!

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Scooby_Latrobe