“Third Times A Charm” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 39 Cape May B&B and Inns
New Jersey
“Third Times A Charm”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2012

We recently stayed at the Wilbraham Mansion for our third year in a row, Our previous stays took place in September, about a week after Labor Day, affording us the benefit of off season rates and a less crowded beach and Washington Street Malll. Still, this trip and the accommodations at the Wilbraham were as enjoyable as the others and a relaxing, memorable way for my wife and I to celebrate our 5yr Anniversary. Like many others who have posted a review here on Trip Advisor, we also stayed in a suite in the newer, three-story building behind the main house. Doug, as he customarily does, handled our check-in and provided recommendations on places to eat and on making reservations (something we hadn't considered on our previous stays since itthey were off season), which proved absolutely necessary for Cucina Rosa and the Blue Pig. Doug made us feel very, very welcome and told us to help ourselves to anything in the kitchen at anytime. He, his wife and staff were also accommodating in that they provided me with a cheese-less option at breakfast. So, each morning, in addition to a wonderful waffle, pancake or french toast a special order of scrambled eggs was made for me to take the place of the egg/cheese item that everyone else was served. I don't know how many establishments would do this (as they also did last year) for their guests and my wife and I appreciated it. It was also pleasant to enjoy our breakfasts with fellow travelers and we had the pleasure of sitting with the same couple a few mornings. The WM is only about a five minute walk to the beach or the Mall and, except for our trip to the Cape May Winery, there was no need to use the car the entire week. Cape May offers so much to do and so many sights to see that a visit is a must. So, after a day at the beach, walking the outdoor mall and enjoying lunch, going for a bike ride, playing mini-golf, or watching a movie on the beach at night, return to a clean, spacious, well-equipped room at the Wilbraham. You won't regret it.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2012

Hubby and I had a weekend away from the kids and stayed at the Wilbraham. We were in love with the inn.
Upon check-in, we were given a tour and made to feel right at home (especially liked the statement that we are welcome in the main house anytime and if a door is closed it is because the a/c is on, not because we are not welcome).
We stayed in a suite on the 3rd floor. The room was very nice, comfy king bed, nice tv with directv. The jacuzzi tub is no joke. It could be labeled a 4-person. It was fantastic, we used it multiple times. I lliked that they had larger water pipes to supply the tub so it filled quickly, and the tub also did a self-cleaning after use which keeps it sanitary. The shower is roomy for many people, and the dual shower heads were great for showering together. We were concerned about the noise as our room was right next to the elevator, but being a 3 floor building it was hardly used (except for checkout on sunday morning). We slept like babies.

The breakfast was very lovely. One day was an egg scramble/casserole with sausage, and another day was french toast with scrambled eggs. Muffins, juices and coffee were available.

Afternoon snack was also very nice, one day was cheese and pepperoni with crackers and fruit, and another day was chocolate cake with sliced veggies and dip.

The indoor pool is great, especially when raining. It is an older pool, but still the only indoor pool in cape may.

We did not use our car until we left. The beach was 8-10 minute easy walk. Restaurants and washington street mall are very easy and close (less than 10 minutes).

We had a fantastic meal at the cape may fish market (in the mall, very casual but great food), and oyster bay (make a reservation or go early or late, very busy).

I was 150% satisfied with our stay at this B&B and would recommend to anyone and everyone.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank stez867
Rahway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2012

Last minute idea to stop over and try out Cape May after hearing it for years.

We stayed in the new suites which is not like a "true" B and B but it worked for us.

Our request for check in was met with 2 out of the three products we requested. It was a special treat for someone otherwise next time we would just wait for the afternoon tea, or go out for a drink and a snack.

The elevator is painfully slow but hey it is supposed to be relaxing!

It has a nice indoor pool that was heated and open all night which could be a nice calming time.

Breakfast was satisfactory in the AM.

Service was accomadating.

Although I have nothing Excellent to say, I do not have anything poor to say. Its prices are in line with the average price of a stay at Cape May this time of year. When looking at the other Beds and Breakfasts while walking through the town it seems that there are others who are authentic with their experience.

In addition it is about a ten min walk to town and the beach we left the Car in the parking lot for the two days which was nice.

• Stayed August 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2012 via mobile

I just returned from a weekend in Cape May and have to say that it was one of the most enjoyable times I have had in years. Park your car because this is a very walkable little seashore town. The Wilberham Mansion while not on the beach front is only a five min walk to the beach. What I liked the most is that they make you feel so welcome. Nothing was to much trouble... It was like being at home with benefits, someone took care of the daily grind and I just got to relax. The rooms are beautiful and very clean. I did stay in the new section of the Mansion which affords you all of the modern amenities but still in keeping with the Victorian Cape May vibe. Breakfast was enjoyable and it was nice to talk to all the other guest. Tea in the afternoon was wonderful. It was nice to be away but still feel at home. Hats off to the Wilberham, you help keep Cape May the shinning star of the Jersey Shore!!!!! I will be back and will recommend to everyone I know.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank MDtravlier
Middletown, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2012

My husband loves Cape May. This was my first visit and I too have fallen in love with Cape May. The Wilbraham Mansion was an excellent find. Even though we arrived early the owner, Doug, had no problem accomodating us. My husband and I went for four nights to celebrate our One Year Wedding Anniversary. We stayed in Room 9 which was just perfect. We had our own private entrance to the room off the side of the Mansion and the Jacuzzi in the room was awesome. The small refrigerator in the room was nice to have. We were able to park our vehicle outside our room and walk everywhere which was great (the beach, stores, dinner, a concert). Doug and Joanne run a first rate bed and breakfast. The breakfast was delicious and the tea time at 3:00 everyday was very nice. We found the staff very friendly. The indoor pool was very refreshing after a day on the beach. Would definitely stay here again and recommend the Wilbraham Mansion to friends and family visiting Cape May.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Laura L
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2012

If you are looking for a good bed and breakfast hotel, I will not hesitate to recommend Wilbraham Mansion. They serve very good breakfast and tea time in the afternoon All of the staff were very accomodating and warm which made me feel I'm home. It's just 10 minutes away from the Catholic church and Washington shopping street and the beach!!! To Doug and Joanne, and to all your staff, keep up the good works! Thanks for all your help and you did made my stay a very relaxing one!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
White Plains, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2012

I recently stayed at the Wilbraham Mansion the last weekend in July with my boyfriend and my best friend and her boyfriend. We are young couples 25-30 and we had a great stay here. For several of us it was our first time to Cape May and we found it to be everything we were looking for and the same goes for the Inn.

We requested the earliest check-in time which was 1pm but when we arrived at 10am my boyfriend thought there was no harm in asking for an earlier check-in time; and alas he was correct! They gladly gave us our keys and showed us around. That was extremely welcoming and something you don't always find.

The breakfast each morning was thoroughly enjoyable. There was certainly enough delicious food and the way we all sat at a table together made me feel as if everyone in the house was part of a big family. Afternoon tea also brought about some great treats. One day there were delicious homemade cookies, fresh from the oven. Another day we filled ourselves up with brownies and iced lattes.

Doug is a generous man who definitely made the experience. He lent us bottle openers for our many bottles of wine, glasses and never even batted an eye when we lingered by the indoor pool until late hours of the night. I felt like I was staying at a friend's house! To top it all off, on our last day we really wanted to stay until late Sunday night to soak up the full day but check-out was in the am. After speaking with Doug we felt much better. He told us even after check-out to feel free to continue to use the pool, the outdoor shower, and the changing room. All 4 of us agreed that that alone warranted a second stay at Wilbraham. I can't wait to book my next trip here! We truly had an enjoyable experience and if you do go be sure to catch the sunset at Sunset beach oh and definitely stop by Hot Dog Tommy's!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple