Hotel Alcott
Jetty Motel(Cape May)(Great Value!)
US$214
US$171
Madison Avenue Beach Club Motel(Cape May)(Great Value!)
US$158
US$132
Congress Hall(Cape May)(Great Value!)
US$419
The Southern Mansion(Cape May)(Great Value!)
US$249
Ocean Club Hotel(Cape May)(Great Value!)
US$253
La Mer Beachfront Inn(Cape May)(Great Value!)
US$290
US$268
Carroll Villa Hotel(Cape May)(Great Value!)
US$260
The Grand Hotel(Cape May)
US$189
Hotel Macomber(Cape May)
US$139
Montreal Beach Resort(Cape May)(Great Value!)
US$245
All reviewscontinental breakfastgrant streetwedding guestsmetered parkingquaint hotelfront porchwedding venuevictorian charmyogurtan older hotelfew blockshistoric districtlarge bathroombeach towelsget awayrocking chairsshops and restaurants
Reviewed 3 January 2012

From the moment I saw Hotel Alcott, I was enchanted by its Victorian charm and the relaxed formality of both its exterior and interior, including the staff. I credit both the calming sea breeze and the excellent service (especially from Kate!) for easing my bridal stress and helping to create the perfect atmosphere for my weekend wedding getaway.

The Hotel Alcott staff gracefully accommodated our gregarious, and slightly intoxicated, crowd with ample verandah space to chat well into the night. They executed our every rooming request, and were always kind and courteous to our guests. Every one of my angst-filled questions, big or small, was answered promptly and professionally. On the day of my wedding, Alan handled everything, ensuring our reception ran smoothly and on time. My husband and I were able to enjoy every moment of our special day thanks to the detail-oriented staff.

I highly recommend Hotel Alcott for weekend wedding bliss or just a relaxing and romantic getaway.

Room Tip: The rooms on the veranda, overlooking the street, are the best!
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Aileen K
Reviewed 14 October 2011

We were very happy last June at the Hotel Alcott in Cape May NJ. Like a faded belle, this Hotel has been around for more than a 100 years and still has the patina of the post civil war era. In fact, it's original name (the Arlington, I believe) was changed because Louisa May and her family stayed here so often. The hotel is situated on a quiet street near the ocean front, but in recent years it's once no doubt lovely across-the-street view has been marred by a row of rather dull, blank-faced condominiums. Do not focus on those, however, but rather on the lovely veranda of the hotel itself, with its beautiful wood flooring and row of inviting rockers (a common Cape May touch) from where you can enjoy some lemonade on a peaceful early June day. Early being the operative word here because it was still pre-season in Cape May and the hotel was relatively quiet and empty. The staff here is experienced and helpful and although we were given a pleasant corner room which we thoroughly enjoyed, the rooms to ask for are the very few on the second (I believe) floor with access to a private veranda. Guests we met at breakfast who occupied those rooms talked of sipping wine on "their" porch into the late evening. Speaking of breakfast, the Alcott strictly speaking is not a B&B, but a hotel and breakfast is of the well-loaded continental kind. Toast, bagels, muffins and cold cereal (maybe oatmeal, I don't remember), juice and coffee. This is QUITE adequate, however, on a warm day, and don't forget to grab the small brown bran muffins. They're house-made and delicious! When you first walk in you may be puzzled by the large lobby unrelieved by any real furniture. Turns out this is because the Hotel Alcott is a popular wedding reception venue. There is also apparently a wonderful restaurant with a tempting menu, which did not open until later in the month. You might check that out if you're in town even if you're not a hotel guest. Cape May is brimming with gorgeous Victorian B&Bs which it is fun to investigate on casual strolls through town. We only stayed at this hotel, and can't speak for those others. But we did not feel at all cheated. Oh yes, free parking spots are precious few these days, but can be found. Once located, leave your car there, if possible for the duration of the stay. The town is small. Walk everywhere. Or take a tour bus. Don't lose that parking spot.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
8  Thank silvergypsy45
Reviewed 30 September 2011

I picked this hotel after reading the reviews and thought people were exaggerating about the terrible room quality, but it is true! The hotel is beautiful and has a nice location but it is not worth it! The hotel's free parking is very far (like 6 or more blocks) from the hotel. If you insist on staying here do not stay in the standard room. This room is extremely small and in my opinion a safety hazard. There is no room to walk around nor put your luggage down on the floor. The rooms are NOT what you see on the website !!! False advertisement !!

Room Tip: The standard rooms are EXTREMELY EXTREMELY small !!
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Natalia A
Reviewed 13 August 2011

I enjoyed my stay at Hotel Alcott. This was a spur of the moment business trip and the Hotel Alcott was available. We stayed on the second floor and had access to the Verandah. The room was small, but clean, neat and very comfortable. The area is residential, so we had to put up with a lot of noise. But honestly, there was not a place in Cape May that was secluded from what I could see. This is an old town and there's a lot of buildings.
The continental breakfast had croissants that were to die for... very moist, buttery pieces of love. The bagels were the good hearty ones, not the grocery store types. The coffee was good.
Thanks for letting us check in early!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank memerry
Reviewed 12 August 2011

August 6-8
Attended the wedding of my nephew. There was no parking lot for the hotel. The lot was 6 long blocks away. You had to park your car and walk back to the hotel. Not very convenient.

My nephew had booked about 7-8 rooms for the event. The wedding reception was held at the hotel. - Hotel Alcott would not even give the bride and groom a free room for their honeymoon night - they would not even give them a discount.

The staff made a few rude remarks to the bride at the wedding receiption.

The rooms were very small, but they were clean.

I would not stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family