“All fluff, no fancy.”

Ranked #25 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
New York City, New York
“All fluff, no fancy.”
Reviewed 21 July 2012

If you like paper thin walls, Fruit Loops, no water pressure, sticky doors, cramped rooms and walking a mile to park your car, stay at the Hotel Alcott. For over $200 a night, this place seems to operate on a bare minimum amenity strategy. Many of the reviews on here mention the crappy breakfast, why do they continue serving Folgers and Corn Flakes? This was easily the smallest hotel room I've ever slept in. I've had better stays at the Marriott which has sound proof rooms, full length mirrors, a pool and a waffle maker. I'm a traveler that likes comfort as well as charm so when I come across a place like the Alcott that skimps on the creature comforts for the travelor, it's disappointing.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank tarensterry

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
New York, New York
Reviewed 17 July 2012

We stayed here for one night in July on a trip through South Jersey. The hotel was very clean, the staff was polite and the location was excellent (one block from the beach). We stayed in a room on the second floor with a veranda. There is no elevator, so be sure to get a room on the second floor at most. The room was very small, but the veranda provided so much extra charm and space that we didn't mind it. The bathroom was much bigger than expected. It was reasonably priced in comparison to the other hotels in the area at high season.

My biggested complaint was the lack of parking. We were referred to a parking lot (where they had pre-paid passes) five blocks away. After driving all day I was not happy to drive around looking for spaces. Once I arrived at the lot, it was full. I was told there was nothing they could do and I would have to drive around looking for street parking. This was very inconvenient and such a turn-off. Also, there are no amenities and the continental breakfast is weak at best.

Overall the charm and location of the hotel won out and we enjoyed our stay. If not for the negatives above, I would have given this hotel a 5 out of 5. I would recommend it for others to stay.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed 27 June 2012

This is a lovely quiet hotel just off the main beach road in Cape May. This was my first visit to the area, but hope to return. When I do, I will once again stay at the Hotel Alcott. Some of the others on here have noted things such as no elevator and no on site parking. When I looked for the hotel, I found that these facts were stated and were no surprise because I read carefully. This is a beautiful older hotel. Yes, I had to climb stairs. It was well worth it. Yes, parking was off site, no big deal. If these things are important, either because of personal choice or personal need, there are other nice one story hotels/motels in the area. However, if not, you will most likely love the Hotel Alcott. The room was quite comfortable and very lovely. I hope to visit again and again! Well done to each and every staff member with which I had contact.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Ohio_Kimber
Cinnaminson, New Jersey
Reviewed 22 June 2012

This property is difficult to review because the upsides equal out when you figure in the downsides.

The staff was very friendly and helpful. The common areas (lobby, breakfast room/porch) were very clean and comfortable and the decor was very pleasant.

Parking is difficult at best and the lack of an elevator can make the walk to the second floor somewhat uncomfortable especially when carrying luggage (have it delivered to your room).

Our room (I understand there are other more expensive options) was very small. No desk, refrigerator, lounge chair, clock or radio. Since there is no closet, our luggage had to be placed on the floor consuming some of the already limited space. Also, no closet meant hanging clothes on an open rack which took up space on the other side of the room.

That said, the room was very clean and nicely painted and the bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was more than adequate and, again, very clean with ample towels, soaps and other supplies.

The breakfast was minimal, but very good and a pleasure to enjoy on the ample porch.

The Alcott's location is wonderful. Park the car and leave it! You can walk to any number of great areas in Cape May - after all, that's why we went.

Overall, the good outweighs the bad and we plan on returning in September.

Room Tip: Ask what size room you will be assigned when making the reservation.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank John K
Langhorne
Reviewed 18 June 2012

This place is in the wedding reception business not the hotel business. No dedicated parking, after feeding a meter out front (15 minute max) I checked in. desk clerk said "unload your things and stop back and I'll show you where the parking is." After fighting my way through a wedding reception cocktail hour in the lobby to get to the stairs. (Bags in hand) I returned to the desk. The clerk led me outside and pointed down the street "See the third block down where there's no meters, you can find a place to park there". I asked about bicycle storage (This is the beach) I was instructed to chain them to a street sign on the corner. Can you believe it?

Our room was on the third floor, still the noise level was horrible. You could hear the thump of the music and the roar of the conversation plain as day. I guess thats the price you pay for the victorian atmosphere.

Room Tip: Visit the Holiday Inn instead
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank CarGuy33

Travellers are raving about these Cape May hotels

Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 3 April 2012

Stayed in August 2011 and booked directly with the hotel at a roomrate of $190 a night for 2 people. Being surprised how expensive the hotels generally are in Cape May, Hotel Alcott offered a very nice accommodation for much less than other hotels in the area.

The location is great. 2 minutes to the beach and the main street may be reached within 5-10 minutes. The hotel rely on free parking in the nearby residential area. Otherwise there is payment parking right in front of the hotel…in that case you need a lot of quarters. Since we were there off season I guess, parking could be found maximum 2 blocks away.

The room was small, however, with a large bathroom. The hotel was in old Victorian style and very cozy. It was fun sitting on the balcony in front of the hotel sipping the free lemonade – nice touch. Breakfast was in my opinion very good, resembled European breakfast and not a US breakfast (cakes), good bread and serials, fruit etc.

Would choose this hotel in a heartbeat if in Cape May again – very nice staff, good value for money (taking into consideration that the whole area is overpriced, understandably) – Cape May is a hidden gem and this hotel is a very nice place at an affordable rate – you can always go and eat at Congress Hall and have cocktails there (we did, super) but why paid for an overpriced hotel room when Hotel Alcott fits the bill.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Frankenheimer
OCM_Management_Team, Hotel Alcott Management at Hotel Alcott, responded to this review, 15 May 2012
We are so very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us! We hope you join us again soon.
South Windsor, Connecticut
Reviewed 18 February 2012

My wife and I are BIG fans of old hotels, and have stayed in many for well over 30 years. For more than 25 years, my job took us to hotels all over the world. Our experience with the Hotel Alcott was never encountered before.

The rooms at the hotel are what we have come to expect at 'luxury' older hotels. We were there on New Year's Eve for a wedding. Other than a noisy bathroom fan, the room was adequate, albeit a bit pricy compared to others we have enjoyed.

Our disappointment arose when we went to check out. When we checked in we were given 2 keys, real keys, not electronic cards. During the wedding festivities, one of the keys was misplaced.

Upon checking out, I mentioned this to the front desk attendant, who then informed us that there would be a $25!!!!!! replacement charge.

In all my extensive travel experience, I had never been exposed to such a policy! When I said that I would not have taken 2 keys if I knew this to be the case, the attendant rudely told me that the policy is clearly stated on the registration form. I produced the form and asked where it was, as there was no such policy stated. Then I had to wait a few minutes until the attendant produced another piece of paper that was never provided to us at any time, either when we made the reservation in person 7 months earlier, when we received confirmation, or when we checked in! This piece of paper said there would be a $25 lost key charge!

We were told that if the key was found within 30 days, we would get a $25 credit on our credit card.

If this is the type of experience you are seeking, by all means try this hotel.

Just be sure they don't charge you for using too many towels or if a light bulb needs replacement in your room. And be sure to ask for their secret policy paperwork!

Room Tip: Some of the rooms are older and smaller so try to see them before you book in.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
6 Thank FloydBaran
Dear Sir,

We are sorry you were disappointed by the lost room key fee.

We are a historic property and, as such, our guest rooms are not assessable via an electronic keycard system. Those keycards are disposable. Real keys are not.

You were given two keys for the room and, as you assert, one of the keys was misplaced by you or your wife. Our lost key policy is featured prominently on our front desk and on the forms signed at the time of check in.

Please know the fee for lost keys is not punitive. It covers replacement costs including time and labor. We advised you that should you find the misplaced key within 30 days we could refund you the charge as a courtesy. We typically do not have a wait period before replacing the key.

Your remarks about light bulbs and towels are out of place, are not based on the realities of the property and are most likely borne of upset. While we can understand your upset, please note that we endeavor to provide the highest caliber of service to all guests.

We wish you well in your future travels.