“Fabulous Hidden Jewel!”

Ranked #25 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
Hillsborough & Villas NJ
“Fabulous Hidden Jewel!”
Reviewed 24 May 2009

Hotel Alcott is a bit removed from Cape Mays main tourist district but itsa splendid small Victorian Style Hotel with plenty of comfort and lots of charm.
La Veranda (the restaurant )serves world class cuisine. Chef Patrice teaches cooking in the off season and serves here during the summer months. The menu is superb somewhat limited ( but not inexpensive) . One of the better Cape May restaurants recommended for adult couples. Its not a casual family restaurant but someplace where couples can go to appeciate a fine dining expereince. It is an upscale restaurant so dress is "business casual" -not a jeans place for sure.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank capemaytraveler

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Manhattan, NY
Reviewed 15 May 2009

I stayed at the Alcott last month and I had to write. There were so many little extras that you don't really anticipate that my husband and I were delighted nearly a daily basis.

This was my second experience with Cape May, and I have to say I was really happy with my stay. The hotel is centrally located so once we parked the car we walked everywhere we needed to be. I didn't see the parking situation to be as big a deal as some have made in their remarks. It's close to the little outdoor mall, the boardwalk; pretty much everywhere.

We lucked out and had beach weather weekend in APRIL which was fantastic. I really loved was the free beach books from the hotel's library and thought that was a nice touch. The complimentary continental breakfast was really great and I thought the little complimentary tea time was lovely.

I found my room to be spotless and the part I loved best was my mattress. Without a doubt it was one of the best nights of sleep I have ever gotten. My husband asked the woman at the front desk about the brand so that we can look into buying the same one for home.

All in all I would wholeheartedly recommend. A+ in all respects!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LBoquix
Virginia
Reviewed 20 April 2009

My friend and I had a very bad experience with this hotel. First, there is NO parking. You have to drive around until you find a place on the street. Second, I made the reservation and they charge the card before you even get there. It cleared my account and I didn't think any thing of it. When we arrived we found out they also need a $100 incidental deposit and it may take up to 10 days for the incidental deposit to clear your account. Neither one of us had an appropriate credit card (they don't take Discover). Neither one of us were too keen on them placing a hold on our debit cards. The staff was not very polite about the entire incident. They wouldn't let us stay there until we found a way to put down a $100 deposit even though we already paid for the room. We reluctantly put it on our debit card (still waiting for that to be reimbursed). I would not have minded, if I had been told about this deposit when I made the reservation, I would have brought a credit card with me. The room was okay, nothing fancy for the amount of money. Housekeeping is questionable.. we found some things behind the bed when we were looking for an electric outlet. We asked for a comment card and we were told they don't have them. The next day we were surprised by the continental breakfast that we discovered.... I say that because the staff didn't mention that to us the night before. I would not stay here again, nor recommend it to anyone. There are cheaper places and you can get better service.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends
3 Thank TVirginia

Travellers are raving about these Cape May hotels

New Jersey
Reviewed 9 March 2009

After getting married at the Hotel Alcott five years ago, it was nice to come back for a visit and see the same friendly faces. We had the most amazing wedding at the Alcott and had every room filled with a close friend or family member. My husband and I came back for an overnight stay with our two little ones and experienced life without time. Our room was so comfortable and the kids loved it!! Thanks Kate, Dan, Alan, and Nick for memories that will last our lifetime!!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank berrynmax
New Jersey
Reviewed 9 March 2009

This hotel is all about service until you sign the contract! I made reservations for my parents (the people that paid 10k for the wedding) 3 months in advance. I booked (and paid for) a room with a balcony. Upon check-in, they were put in a tiny room in the back of the hotel with a view of the fire esape. I had to pay $50 to "upgrade" them to a suite. The front desk then put a hold on my brother's credit card for $100 above the price of the room - and no they did not think to mention this to him, until his car payment bounced and the bank called him. They messed up three other guest's reservations, blamed the guests and refused to honor their original reservations. During the reception, the banquet manager starred at the guests and bar staff, as if he was monitoring how the bartenders were making drinks. Five minutes before 11 (last call) he closed the bar and refused to let anyone have another drink. Keep in mind the hotel does not have a liquore license, so the alcohol doesn't belong to them anyway! My minister left some items in her room, and it took SEVEN phone calls to get the hotel to mail her belongings back - after they promised on the first call that they would! Given the chance, I would have had my wedding/reception in the street rather than this place!

Stayed October 2008, travelled with family
Florida
Reviewed 20 October 2008

Sorry but I am exhausted from the trip but I wanted to post some kind of review before I forgot to. Hotel was nice overall but very basic. I know Cape May is a Victorian town but I felt like i was living in Victorian times... After going up three flights of stairs with 100lbs of luggage (No elevator) we were disappointed with our smaller than usual room. Then it was back down the stairs to hunt for a parking space.... Just about every other hotel in cape may has parking, or if they don't they offer valet parking. Not this one you either have to constantly feed the parking meter or park 2-4 blocks away on the streets where there is no metered parking. There is only one ice machine and it is on the bottom floor next to the soda machine that was out of order. When I asked the front desk if they had any other drinks available I was offered warm sodas out of a closet for $1.50 each. Certain members of the staff were very snooty, for lack of a better term. Our friend had there wedding there and it was beautiful but given the chance I would not stay here again. I will say the bed was fantastic and the gratuity envelope for the maid was easily accessible..... Just not worth $200 a night..

• Liked — The bed was fantastic
  • Disliked — No parking, Some rude Staff, lack of commodities
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Philadelphia, Pa
Reviewed 25 September 2008

I am a hospitality student in Philadelphia, and I was fortunate to read the reviews before going, or I may have risked disappointment. I am not a picky person, but I've stayed in nicer places. The hotel is nice, it's not great, though.

The main entrance is pretty and the staff was friendly. The rooms are small, so if you want space, get one of the deluxe rooms. I think I got a queen room, and it was not very big (mind you, it was not the smallest room available). Also, not everyone has access to the 2nd floor veranda-- I found that disappointing.

I'm unsure about the cleanliness of the linens...

Also, the vending machine with water was out, so my hubby and I walked to the wawa, which wasn't far away, but it wasn't in the building. My advice to the visitor? Bring water, or buy water while you're out.

There are a lots of stairs to climb with luggage and no elevator.

The only two things that really bothered me were that the windows had no screens, so I couldn't open them and receive the constant breeze (Cape May is amazing during the weekdays in September). The other thing that annoyed me was that housekeeping left a tip envelope--it's extremely tacky and unbecoming of a place that wishes to pose as an elegant stay.

Aside from all that, the rooms were pretty, simple yet elegant decor, and came armed with a flatscreen tv with cable, which my hubby loved. They gave us clean towels and washcloths every day, and the bathroom was beautiful and spotless. Oh and for the summer visitors, the a/c worked well... real well.

• Liked — the location was quiet (in September)
  • Disliked — tip envelopes, windows w/o screens, and linens that did not appear clean
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple