“Warning.... Web site for hotel very deceiving!”
Review of Hotel Alcott

and 1 more site!
Hotel Alcott
Ranked #25 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
Fairfax, VA
“Warning.... Web site for hotel very deceiving!”
Reviewed 18 June 2009

I booked a two day reservation for 6/10 and 6/11/2009 as a surprise for my wife's fiftieth birthday after finding the hotel on the internet. I was attracted to the hotel and their award winning restaurant that was “opening Memorial Day weekend, full schedule starting in June."

I booked the reservation by telephone and was not informed that their restaurant would not be open during our stay. It was already too late to cancel within the twenty-one days that they require. A few days after making the reservation, I sent an e-mail asking if it was too early to book a reservation for dinner and if the restaurant could accommodate a gluten free diet. I was informed that they could accommodate a gluten free diet but that the restaurant would not be open during our stay.

I sent another e-mail asking for clarification as to the " full schedule starting in June " and that I didn't think that I would have made the reservation knowing that the restaurant would be closed. That e-mail went unanswered and a follow up e-mail to “The Manager” concerning the issue was never replied to.

On the morning of 6/10 I told my wife of the surprise and the problem with the restaurant.. We decided not to go and I called to cancel and stated that I felt that they should refund the $250 deposit. I was told I could have a credit for a future stay. I asked to talk to a manager and was told that one would not be available until 6/12. I asked for a return call on 6/12. By 6/15 I had not received a call back.

I called the hotel on 6/15 and was told the manager was too busy to talk to me. After I insisted and said I would be filing complaints, I was put on hold. Finally, a manager spoke with me and I explained the above. She said the hotel was having e-mail problems and that is why I did not receive a response. She did not offer an explanation as to why she did not respond to my call. I requested a refund based on what I felt was false advertising over the internet. She informed me that " full schedule starting in June" means that the restaurant was only opened on the weekends. I did bother to check the definition of "full" in the Dictionary - not even to close! I was told I could get a credit for a future stay. She implied that I should have called the restaurant first for reservations before booking a reservation. Then I would have known the restaurant was closed.

Next time my wife turns fifty; I will keep them in mind!

So, if you plan on staying there in June (or later?), don't plan on eating at the restaurant during the week.

Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank USMCRET

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Queens Village, New York
Reviewed 17 June 2009

My husband and I decided to escape the rainy weather that hovered over the tri-state area and head to Cape May on a whim. We found the Hotel Alcott by accident and decided to stay the night. The hotel is picturesque of what you thought the Victorian era was like. The decor was breathtaking. The staff was friendly from check-in to housekeeping to check-out. The room was a nice set-up and very clean. The hotel is not beach-front; however, the beach is only 1 block away and you can see it from the hotel. We were able to check out all the main attractions by foot even though they only offer street parking; it is located in the heart of the historic district, so it was fine. The complimentary breakfast, tea time and the sun room were all nice perks. Compared to the hotels we saw around, I would say this was on the upper-scale side, so compared to NYC hotels, the rate matched the quality. I would definetly stay here again.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank EllaTheExplorer
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 11 June 2009

We celebrated my daughter's marriage on May 9, 2009 at the Hotel Alcott and the ceremony and reception could not have been nicer! From Friday through Sunday, extended family and friends had the most lovely time at this charming hotel in this most charming town. The wedding party strolled festively one block to the sea for a 1:00 pm beach ceremony, which was absolutely beautiful. Returning to the hotel for cocktails and dinner, the setting was festive and elegant. The dining room was so pretty, it simply glowed! The room was spacious, yet intimate for our 100+ person party. The inner courtyard off the dining room was the perfect place for cocktails and mingling, along with the adjacent lobby. The food, an all vegetarian menu, was delicious, prepared creatively with the freshest ingredients and served by a pleasant professional wait staff. The dessert table was amazing! Our guests had a wonderful time. Accommodations were comfortable and elegant. We all felt right at home! They have done a good job renovating this old victorian gem. Nick, Alan and Katie were all very helpful with every aspect of planning this happy affair. They are pro's, and were accommodating to our particular needs and ideas. It really was a perfect wedding weekend. Many thanks to all the great folks at the Hotel Alcott! We are all ready to return.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank carmcop
nyc
Reviewed 8 June 2009

The Alcott was amazing to work with for our wedding. It is not only a charming and beautiful location, but the service and staff was also exceptional. They made the planning process so easy and seamless for us, and they executed the details beautifully. And the food was delicious. (We have heard from several guests that this was the best food wedding food they have ever had!) We also think the value of the wedding was excellent. And our stay at the hotel was wonderful as well -- so clean and comfortable. We can't say enough how much we loved it! We look forward to going back for many anniversaries, and whenever else we visit Cape May!
Liza & Mike

• Stayed February 2009
1 Thank lizaerario
Hillsborough & Villas NJ
Reviewed 24 May 2009

Hotel Alcott is a bit removed from Cape Mays main tourist district but itsa splendid small Victorian Style Hotel with plenty of comfort and lots of charm.
La Veranda (the restaurant )serves world class cuisine. Chef Patrice teaches cooking in the off season and serves here during the summer months. The menu is superb somewhat limited ( but not inexpensive) . One of the better Cape May restaurants recommended for adult couples. Its not a casual family restaurant but someplace where couples can go to appeciate a fine dining expereince. It is an upscale restaurant so dress is "business casual" -not a jeans place for sure.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank capemaytraveler
Manhattan, NY
Reviewed 15 May 2009

I stayed at the Alcott last month and I had to write. There were so many little extras that you don't really anticipate that my husband and I were delighted nearly a daily basis.

This was my second experience with Cape May, and I have to say I was really happy with my stay. The hotel is centrally located so once we parked the car we walked everywhere we needed to be. I didn't see the parking situation to be as big a deal as some have made in their remarks. It's close to the little outdoor mall, the boardwalk; pretty much everywhere.

We lucked out and had beach weather weekend in APRIL which was fantastic. I really loved was the free beach books from the hotel's library and thought that was a nice touch. The complimentary continental breakfast was really great and I thought the little complimentary tea time was lovely.

I found my room to be spotless and the part I loved best was my mattress. Without a doubt it was one of the best nights of sleep I have ever gotten. My husband asked the woman at the front desk about the brand so that we can look into buying the same one for home.

All in all I would wholeheartedly recommend. A+ in all respects!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LBoquix
Virginia
Reviewed 20 April 2009

My friend and I had a very bad experience with this hotel. First, there is NO parking. You have to drive around until you find a place on the street. Second, I made the reservation and they charge the card before you even get there. It cleared my account and I didn't think any thing of it. When we arrived we found out they also need a $100 incidental deposit and it may take up to 10 days for the incidental deposit to clear your account. Neither one of us had an appropriate credit card (they don't take Discover). Neither one of us were too keen on them placing a hold on our debit cards. The staff was not very polite about the entire incident. They wouldn't let us stay there until we found a way to put down a $100 deposit even though we already paid for the room. We reluctantly put it on our debit card (still waiting for that to be reimbursed). I would not have minded, if I had been told about this deposit when I made the reservation, I would have brought a credit card with me. The room was okay, nothing fancy for the amount of money. Housekeeping is questionable.. we found some things behind the bed when we were looking for an electric outlet. We asked for a comment card and we were told they don't have them. The next day we were surprised by the continental breakfast that we discovered.... I say that because the staff didn't mention that to us the night before. I would not stay here again, nor recommend it to anyone. There are cheaper places and you can get better service.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends