“Don't Waste Your Money Here & Their Website is Deceiving !”
Review of Hotel Alcott

Hotel Alcott
Ranked #22 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
Reviewed 18 August 2009

I recently stayed at the Hotel Alcott with my mom for a long weekend. We looked at the website & saw the charming victorian style rooms and thought~this would be perfect for a Cape May weekend. We were certainly disappointed. Unlike what you see on their website, the room we stayed in was SMALL and PLAIN at best. Our room had just one double bed, and the walls ended just outside the 2 night tables. The closet was half the size of a normal basic closet. There are many things that most hotels have that this one did not. For example: no alarm clock/radio, no coffee maker, no refrigerator ~if you wanted one in your room you would have to pay an EXTRA $15 + tax PER NIGHT. no iron/ironing board ~ unless you REQUEST it. Below average continental breakfast.
My 2 BIGGEST issues would be that there is NO elevator in this hotel. There are 2 large flights of stairs to climb to get to the second floor. While I have no problem climbing stairs, I do have a slight problem with it when I am carrying 2 LARGE SUITECASES and a CARRY ON. And there is NO WHERE TO PARK YOUR CAR. Yes, you read that correctly~NO PARKING LOT. They give you a parking pass for a lot that is approx 5-6 BLOCKS from the hotel, about a 10 min walk. Keep this in mind if you are going in the summer~By the time I walked to my car to head out for a nice dinner, I was already sweating like crazy. When you want to load or unload your luggage, be prepared to HUNT for a parking spot in front of the hotel for a while. There are meters everywhere.
and you will pay 25 cents for every 15 min's in front of the hotel.
I would NOT recommend this hotel, nor would I return to it.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank swttraveler7
There are newer reviews for Hotel Alcott

Reviewed 30 July 2009

We recently spent a long weekend at the Hotel Alcott. We usually stay at B&B's in Cape May, but couldn't find one close enough to the beach at the last minute. The good news is that we got a last minute booking "deal". We booked a regular room for $250, but upgraded to a suite for $300 after finding out that the regular room was very small. We both felt that it was rather expensive for this hotel, but were happy to be in Cape May, which is one of our favorite places. Now for the pros and cons:
Pros:
good location - less than 1/2 block from the beach
very clean
big bathroom, decent toiletries
beach towels provided
nice lobby
suites have the use of a veranda

Cons:
a little far from the town center, but this was fine with us because we like to walk
not a very good continental breakfast - only one healthy cereal, no skim milk, "Trix" yogurt, no toaster
room decor could have been from any moderate hotel chain - we expected a little more thoughtfulness and luxury.
Parking was far from the hotel - we were given a permit for free parking, but it was at least a ten minute walk to the lot and you have to park at a metered spot when checking in and out in order to unload your car.
Afternoon "refreshments" were nothing more than store bought cookies and some beverages.

Basically, we weren't overly impressed with this hotel, but it met our needs for a weekend away. We both thought it was a little expensive for what we got, but I suppose being so close to the beach in the middle of July is pricey anywhere.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 July 2009

My daughter and her fiancee chose The Hotel Alcott for their wedding reception following a beach wedding in the beautifully quaint town of Cape May NJ. The reception turned out to be everything we wished for and more. The room was beautifully arranged, the food was plentiful and delicious, the wait staff was courteous and helpful and the cocktail hour held prior to the reception in the hotel lobby and courtyard was fabulous. Many of the guests attending the wedding, including myself, had booked rooms in the hotel and we were all pleased with the professionalism of the staff along with the beautifully appointed rooms. I would highly recommend this as a premier spot for anyone who is looking for a romantic wedding in beautiful Victorian Cape May.

• Stayed: June 2009
1  Thank debpett
Reviewed 12 July 2009

We arrived only ten minutes before check in and even though there is no parking in the vicinity, they were unwilling to allow us to bring in our bags. We took a parking pass to the lot a few blocks away and it was full so we ended up parking on the street. Once checked in, our stay was adequate- the beds are comfortable, but the room itself is only average and pretty bland in decor. The complete lack of consideration came after checkout... we turned in our keys and said "anything else?" They said no, so we cleaned out our car and departed. 3 hours later, when we were 1 hour from home, we got a call saying that they were charging our credit card $100 for the parking pass that we did not return. (It was a piece of paper, we never even were able to use it, and we were not told to return it... it had been thrown out at this point.) We called and said it was thrown out, and they said the charges would have to apply. The hostess said she'd have a general manager call us... no one did. The charges were applied to my credit card. HEADACHE!!! Moral of the story: if you absolutely MUST stay there, don't get a paper parking pass. It is not useful and very expensive to replace the piece of paper.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 June 2009

We stayed at the Hotel Alcott for two nights. It was very average, what you would expect from a lower-end chain hotel. Not what you would expect for the price. The lobby and public areas are nice, but the room was very small. The decor wasn't any different than a chain hotel. The bed was uncomfortable and felt like an old bed with bad box springs, though the front desk said they were all new beds. We were on the top floor and there were frequent noises coming from the roof - possibly the air conditioning.

There was a wedding on our second night and when we came in from an afternoon out, there was a wedding reception in the lobby because of rain. There was no where to sit outside quietly without the wedding guests and we had to walk through the guests to get up to our room. In fact, other than stayinig in our room, we couldn't sit quietly and talk. We were not told in advance that there would be a wedding. We had tried to make reservations in the restaurant via e-mail and received no response. When we called, they told us the restaurant was booked for a private event and that they didn't have time to answer questions (at the reception desk!)

We wouldn't recommend the Hotel Alcott, unless you are there for a wedding and the whole place is reserved for the wedding.

We had a great dinner at the Washington Inn and a great visit to Turdo Vineyards! We recommend both highly!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 June 2009

I booked a two day reservation for 6/10 and 6/11/2009 as a surprise for my wife's fiftieth birthday after finding the hotel on the internet. I was attracted to the hotel and their award winning restaurant that was “opening Memorial Day weekend, full schedule starting in June."

I booked the reservation by telephone and was not informed that their restaurant would not be open during our stay. It was already too late to cancel within the twenty-one days that they require. A few days after making the reservation, I sent an e-mail asking if it was too early to book a reservation for dinner and if the restaurant could accommodate a gluten free diet. I was informed that they could accommodate a gluten free diet but that the restaurant would not be open during our stay.

I sent another e-mail asking for clarification as to the " full schedule starting in June " and that I didn't think that I would have made the reservation knowing that the restaurant would be closed. That e-mail went unanswered and a follow up e-mail to “The Manager” concerning the issue was never replied to.

On the morning of 6/10 I told my wife of the surprise and the problem with the restaurant.. We decided not to go and I called to cancel and stated that I felt that they should refund the $250 deposit. I was told I could have a credit for a future stay. I asked to talk to a manager and was told that one would not be available until 6/12. I asked for a return call on 6/12. By 6/15 I had not received a call back.

I called the hotel on 6/15 and was told the manager was too busy to talk to me. After I insisted and said I would be filing complaints, I was put on hold. Finally, a manager spoke with me and I explained the above. She said the hotel was having e-mail problems and that is why I did not receive a response. She did not offer an explanation as to why she did not respond to my call. I requested a refund based on what I felt was false advertising over the internet. She informed me that " full schedule starting in June" means that the restaurant was only opened on the weekends. I did bother to check the definition of "full" in the Dictionary - not even to close! I was told I could get a credit for a future stay. She implied that I should have called the restaurant first for reservations before booking a reservation. Then I would have known the restaurant was closed.

Next time my wife turns fifty; I will keep them in mind!

So, if you plan on staying there in June (or later?), don't plan on eating at the restaurant during the week.

Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank USMCRET
Reviewed 17 June 2009

My husband and I decided to escape the rainy weather that hovered over the tri-state area and head to Cape May on a whim. We found the Hotel Alcott by accident and decided to stay the night. The hotel is picturesque of what you thought the Victorian era was like. The decor was breathtaking. The staff was friendly from check-in to housekeeping to check-out. The room was a nice set-up and very clean. The hotel is not beach-front; however, the beach is only 1 block away and you can see it from the hotel. We were able to check out all the main attractions by foot even though they only offer street parking; it is located in the heart of the historic district, so it was fine. The complimentary breakfast, tea time and the sun room were all nice perks. Compared to the hotels we saw around, I would say this was on the upper-scale side, so compared to NYC hotels, the rate matched the quality. I would definetly stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple