“Terrific location--expect noise”
Review of Hotel Macomber

Hotel Macomber
Ranked #30 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
Reviewed 14 August 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Macomber for 2 days. The location is ideal and the view from our second floor bedroom was stunning. We knew about the stairs so that was not an issue: we even joked that the exercise gave us a free pass to eat whatever we wanted. The bed was comfortable and the room clean, but be advised that if you are looking for tranquility this is not the hotel for you. It is beach front, and at the height of summer this means NOISE. We attempted to open the windows on the first night to try to hear the surf, but all we heard were cars and drunk people screaming to one another until 3 in the morning. In addition, the air conditioning unit in our room (18) sounded like a jet plane taking flight. There was also a terrible intermittent buzzing coming from something outside our room that made it very difficult to sleep. Also, people clamor up and down the stairs all night like elephants. The noise issue is not the hotel's fault, and the view made it all worth it for me.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hotel Macomber

Reviewed 4 August 2012

Crystal and your team,

We had to thank you for a lovely midweek stay. I've been in the Macomber before (for dinner) but had not stayed there, so some of the past reviews seemed questionable.

We rented two rooms, 1 and 26 (above famous room 10 but sadly, no excitement :) It IS an old hotel. It DOES have lots of steps. Hello!

Both our rooms were immaculate. The beds were great (we all have bad backs!) The beds were clean, we check! As was the bathroom, spotless. Yes, they were small, again it's an old hotel. The towels were clean and fresh, and you offered more for us to use at the beach. The TVs were small. We came for the beach though, not to watch TV, and they were more than suitable to catch up on the Olympics. Your staff was polite, actually, the were both sweet.

We will definitely visit again. Your house provided our family a great stay and wonderful memories during a challenging time and we are very grateful.

All the best!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank CandM_PA
Reviewed 27 July 2012

I expected more of a B&B experience in the grand old hotel. Often there was no one at the front desk. There were no services, morning coffee etc. Their web site warns you about the stairs. Heed warning. All in all it was not worth the price. The front porch has rocking chairs facing the beach, but there is an arcade blocking the view.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 July 2012

The rooms are VERY small, but clean and the front desk staff were friendly. The bathroom was OK, however the shower stall had no door, just a curtain and it was difficult to keep the water contained in the shower, had to point the shower head straight down...had a very wet floor both mornings. The fact that there was no elevator did not bother us. Each room description very specifically states that there is no elevator and also says how many stairs you have to climb for each floor. If you can't climb stairs, stay elsewhere! All in all, not bad for the price and is in a super convenient location.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 July 2012

Went to Cape May for a wedding. Was happy to be able to get a room for 2 nights since many require a 3 night minimum in season. If you get a room on the second or third floor, it helps to be in really good shape of be half mountain goat. I counted 61 steps to climb from the street to the third floor. The room was bright and clean. We had a strange problem with the bathroom sink. Warm water, (it was never hot) came out of both spigot's. We had a room with 2 double beds. They were unbearably uncomfortable for both my wife and myself. We actually considered leaving after the wedding rather than having to sleep in the beds. We stayed and it was the wrong decision. The walls were thin and activity in the adjacent room was sometimes annoying. Early morning sun coming through the window made it hard to sleep in the morning. Parking was adequate but tight. The location is good and right across from the beach. Many places to eat within walking distance. I would not go back.

Room Tip: Get a room on the first floor, but room #10 is reported to be haunted
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Gary P
Reviewed 12 July 2012

I would never recommend this hotel to anyone which is unfortunate because the location and price are ideal. But as things usually reflect their price in this case its an understatement. First things first we went with a group of 8 and this was our ONLY vacation this summer do to affordability and schedules. Upon checking in we were told we would be on the top floor (floor 3) which is 6 sets of steps up with NO elevator. We had our 75 year old grandmother staying with us. Secondly there is NO restroom in the lobby on the ground floor NOTHING. We had to either go across the street and down a block to use the restroom or up 6 flights of stairs. I have Ulcerative Colitus and need to be near a bathroom. IT WAS A NIGHTMARE! Next were the hideously dated and smelly rooms. One was very small for 4 people and we asked for queens and got doubles. We were all so grossed out by the smell and dampness; couple this with an old muffin and cracker found between the bed and nightstand; we couldnt wait to leave! When we spoke to the front desk she just said "sorry". Lastly we asked for a rollaway bed for the 2nd night and not only did we have to call 6 times, yes 6 times when it finally came it had a HUGE brown stain in the middle and had NO sheets or blankets with it. I have a picture that I will post later. DO NOT STAY HERE

Room Tip: Dont stay here
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank sadiekat33
Reviewed 14 June 2012

I have been a business traveler for 27 years, and averaged a 1 to 2 nights in hotels a week over the course of that time. I have stayed in at least a hundred different hotels, and the bed at the Hotel Macomber is in the top 3 most uncomfortable I have ever slept in. We were in Room 5, and the bed was as hard as a rock. We may have been more comfortable sleeping on the floor. I woke up at least three times and could not feel my right arm. I don't remember the last time that happened. My wife is is stiff as a board. I got up at 3:00AM and went to my car to get some Advil.
I can't comment on the other rooms. I also understand that how firm a bed is, is a personal preference. However, I have a lot of experience staying in hotel rooms, and this bed was way below the norm for comfort.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple