Hotel Macomber
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Heritage Inn(Cape May)
Camelot Motel(Cape May)
View Hotel
Inn of Cape May(Cape May)
  • Restaurant
Jetty Motel(Cape May)
View Hotel
All reviewsno elevatorunion park restaurantacross the streetfront porchbagel shopconvention centertop floorrocking chairscozy hotelsmall tvmy husband and ipeople watchmini golfwater pressurerestaurants and shoppingthe jersey shoreon site parking
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

This is not a quaint inn or "bed and breakfast"...it's an old, cheap hotel. They are squeezing every dollar out of the location...the actual hotel is poor.

Location is excellent - right on Beach Ave. Rented a room here with my husband and 2 small kids. Room size was fine, and bathroom clean and good size too.

But here was my main gripe: I was unable to get a good nights sleep.

First, the walls are paper thin, so even a normal level conversation from an adjacent room penetrates and sounds loud. When I was forced to stand in the hallway waiting for a manager to address my concern at 12:30 (more on that below), i could literally here a man snoring. There is just *zero* insulation in the walls.

Second, the A/C unit emitted some type of loud buzz every 20-30 seconds. I finally left my room after midnight to seek assistance (after realizing the room lacked a phone) and realized there is NO NIGHT TIME MANAGER on duty. I was left to talk with a very nice man who explained he had no authority or ability to really help me, other than calling the owner who does not live onsite. He said something about the A/C unit's humidity exhaust making the sound. In the end the owner's solution was to give me and my husband ear plugs.

Third, the beds are just doubles, not queens. And our mattress was lumpy.

If you can sleep thru noise and talking and snoring, perhaps this will be great given its location. Otherwise, buyer beware.

Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank Brigid D
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Literally steps to the boardwalk and ocean. There's a restaurant onsite (didnt eat there, very fine dining) as well as a cafe. Cafe has excellent coffee as well breakfast and lunch items. EXCELLENT coffee. The porch of the Macomber is so nice. It allowed our family a place to congregate and just relax and take in the scenery. Our room had a view of the ocean as well. We stayed in one of the Two Berths rooms. Great water pressure and never ran out of hot water. Nice staff as well.

• Stayed: August 2014
Crystal H, Owner at Hotel Macomber, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Your review made our day, Elle! It's so great to hear you're a fan of everything from our cafe's coffee to start your day to the beautiful sunset view at night. And we're to hear thrilled our hotel is a place for the whole family to relax and enjoy.

Thank you so much for taking the time to review us. Hope to see you again soon!

Best,

Reviewed 2 August 2014

I was pleasantly surprised! It doesn't look like much from the outside but the lobby is beautiful. The staff were friendly and helpful. The rooms were clean and the bathrooms were modern and comfortable. We had our 10 and 8 year old with us so all of us in one room was a bit cramped but we knew that going in. And the location really can't be beat. Reviewers who complain about lack of beach views and noise and having to walk up a measly few flights of stairs clearly didn't do their research. It's across the street from the beach, but also across the street from the promenade and arcade, and, well...noise. The hotel has a fantastic looking restaurant which we hope to try next visit. It also has a great little bagel shop. Overall we had a great time and would definitely go back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the stairwell to avoid the noise of other guests.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Steve C

Our goal is to provide a relaxing and fun vacation, so I'm thrilled to hear our hotel is a place your whole family can enjoy, Steve! It's great that you were happy with your room and our breakfast bagel shop. We'd love for you to come back soon and give our restaurant a try. Let us know what you think!

Reviewed 30 July 2014

My boyfriend and I love going to Cape May but sometimes struggle finding places we can afford. Luckily we found Hotel Macomber! It is in an amazing location right across from the beach and close enough to the shops and restaurants. It has a beautiful wrap around porch where we would sit and have a few beers and enjoy the sunset. It also has a restaurant, although we never ate in the restaurant because we always preferred to venture out and try different places but people said the food was good. The room was clean and comfortable and the staff was friendly. There really was nothing to complain about. This is a great place for couples but we also saw a lot of families there, as well. There are so many great options for visitors in Cape May but I would definitely recommend this place for people looking to save a few bucks.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lwarne421
Crystal H, Owner at Hotel Macomber, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

So glad you and your boyfriend enjoyed staying with us! Our goal is to provide an easy and affordable get away so you can enjoy your time off. After all, isn't that what vacation is all about? I'm happy to hear you both were able to relax on our porch and watch the sunset, and that your rooms were comfortable. Thanks so much for taking the time to review us. It was wonderful to see you, and I hope you'll come back next time you're visiting Cape May.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

My husband and I stayed with our two kids in a room with two full beds. It was small but for the amount of time we spent there, it was fine. There were enough towels for everyone, the tv worked, the beds were comfy, the shower stayed hot even after the fourth person cleaned off, the ac worked fine although it came on at regular intervals over the bed which woke my husband up a lot. But, it was a new place to sleep so I'll put it down to that. We had a view of the roofs and strip of beach, but the view wasn't top on our list of things we really cared about. The Front desk were friendly and accommodating and let us check in a little earlier. The maid service was good. We were on the tippy top floor so yes, we were fully aware of the number of stairs. They have chairs on some of the landings if you need to take a break.
Nighttimes were a little noisy but that is not the fault of the hotel; other guests come back late and a few sheets to the wind and they forget how loud the doors sound when slammed. Also, we spent the first night next to a room with a crying baby. Again, not the fault of the hotel. The place is old and historic, so I would suggest bringing earplugs to shut out some of the nocturnal comings and goings.
All in all, we would definitely stay here again. Perhaps without the kids. And in one of those rooms with its own balcony that I looked at forlornly as I climbed another set of stairs.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Lisa C
Crystal H, Owner at Hotel Macomber, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

I'm so pleased you and your family enjoyed staying with us, Lisa. While I'm thrilled to hear that your room was comfortable, and that the staff helpful, I'm sorry about the night time noise and greatly appreciate your understanding. It was wonderful to have you stay with us. We'd love to have you back soon to experience our balcony rooms!