“Hotel Macomber”

Hotel Macomber
Ranked #29 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
Wappingers Falls
Reviewed 13 June 2005

Having spent a recent weekend at the Macomber, I wish to share some of my concerns in the spirit of constructive criticism. On the plus side, the hotel was clean and an interesting walk back into history which I thoroughly enjoyed. I do realize that it is an old establishment and I expect and accept that as such, things can go wrong. However, it is the beginning of the summer season and it was apparent to me that ordinary maintenance and necessary upkeep does not seem to be a priority. The doorknob to the bathroom kept falling off, the window came out when we tried to push it up, the wall was coming apart under the bathroom sink, there was paper in a locking mechanisn to hold the lock in place on a door.
We wanted to share this information in a helpful way with the receptionist on duty but as of 8:40 AM, there was still no one on duty.

Stayed: June 2005
20  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 22 May 2005

Let me say that the Hotel Macomber is in tip-top shape! I just returned with my best friend from a mid-week getaway and what a getaway it was! We arrived on Monday, May 16th at about noon and just popped in to see if we could check-in early. The hostess/innkeeper, Crystal, greeted us with warmth and graciousness and allowed us to move in early, given that our room was ready for us before the prescribed 2:00 check-in time. As we approached our room (room 24 on the second floor of the hotel), I knew we were in for a treat--the finely-appointed hallways, resplendent with pinks, burgundies, Stickley chaises, and detailed, period wallpaper, set the scene for a heralded entrance into our room...and we were not disappointed! The furniture was all fresh, white whicker, and while this material is not my favorite, it was in pristine shape and fitted the seashore setting to perfection. Upon entering the room, my eye was inexorably drawn to the romantic netting which graced the canopy of the ample king-sized bed. We, as were the other reviewers, were delighted by the richness of the new bedding and drapery fabrics--a flowered confection of pale yellow and cabbage roses--inobtrusive, but fresh and classy. The room itself, while not advertised as having on ocean view, affforded us a partial, yet sumptuous sideways glimpse of a crescent of beach. We were also struck by the openness of the room itself and the painstaking cleanliness of the petit, yet ample bathroom and the bedroom itself. We slept comfortably and soundly on the soft pink linens and supportive matress. All in all, our experience was one of seaside class and graciousness--a living testament to the nostalgia of hospitality which is alive and well in the glittering gem of the Jersey Shore, Cape May!

• Stayed: May 2005
13  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 18 May 2005

We have been staying at the Macomber for over 10 years! It is OUR escape place. Our most recent stay was my Mother's Day gift from the family! We noticed, as soon as we entered our room, the new magnificent Bedspreads and window treatments. The rooms are very relaxing and clean. The owners ARE updating every year. I don't know what the last reviewer was looking at, unless they usually stay at the Ritz! Perfection is not attainable anywhere in this world. A historic hotel is always going to have its share of quirks. In Cape May they call this CHARM! Just let someone know and they will fix things. If they don't know it's broken how can they fix it?! THEY DO HAVE AC. The staff is always friendly and knowlegable about the town, and the location is PERFECT. We have never had trouble with parking either. If the lot is full, free parking ,on the street ,is 1 block away! Cape May is not that big, so walking, to most places, is a few minutes. I know most of us can use the exercise too!
We like to visit when schools are still in session! The rates are usually cheapest, around 65 during the week and not much over 100 on the weekends. Can 't beat that in Cape May.

You must have dinner in the Dining Room on site too! Union Park! The quality, service and atmosphere are right on the button. Just make sure you don't eat a late lunch because the portions are not bird size like normal fine dining. I recently had Elk for the first time-mmm and the mussles for an appetizer and Hubby had the Scallops and prawns!

I like to tell my friends: When you stay at the Macomber- relax, eat, sit on the porch and go with the flow. It's an anti aging remedy!

Stayed: May 2005
11  Thank Beautiful6
Reviewed 10 May 2005

We had a pleasant visit to the Hotel Macomber in early May 2005. Our double room with bath was on the 3rd (really 4th) floor of the hotel, with a side view to the ocean. It wasn't a large room, more of a European size, with one large bed and two chairs. We were treated courteously, and had a pleasant experience. My only complaints are that the hotel doesn't seem to have had much recent upkeep, and the fixtures/decor are pretty chintzy (which, given that it's a shore hotel, may be expected). In particular, in our room, the wallpaper was peeling (particularly in the bathroom), and pretty much all fixtures were plastic or wicker, and didn't seem to be of good quality. That said, for the price, with a view of the ocean, we were pleased. Note that I don't think the hotel has an elevator, and they also say that they do not have off-street parking available for all their rooms, so you may want to try to confirm a parking space in advance if it's a busy time of year.

• Stayed: May 2005
11  Thank troz
Reviewed 11 October 2004

We were supposed to go to New Orleans, but tropical depression Matthew rained on our plans. The other couple we were going with suggested that the 4 of us visit Cape May, NJ. I hadn't been in years and my husband (a South Jersey native) last went there in elmentary school. We made our decision the day before we were supposed to leave and scrambled to find a place.
The Hotel Macomber was great! We got a room for $65 (we had to share the hallway bathroom, but didn't mind this for the price) while our friends (who wanted their own bathroom) paid $75 a night. We really lucked out because it was also Victorian week. I want to mention that I would not take our rooms in the summer because they did not have AC.
The rooms were clean, the porch was lovely to sit at and the ocean view was magnificent. We also recommend eating at the restaurant in the hotel called Union Park. Fantastic food! Also everything was truly in walking distance or you could get a trolley.
I miss New Orleans, but got a very relaxing, cost effective vacation.

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 10 October 2004

I have been going to the Macomber for years....truly a "piece of heaven" for me and my family. Have always found the staff more than courteous and the rooms clean and bright. There is nothing better than sitting on the beautiful, wrap-around porch either early morning watching the sun rise or later in the evening watching "the world go by"! I believe that the Macomber is the "heart...in the heart of Cape May"! Cute, quaint and totally charming with all the best that the Jersey shore has to offer ....all within steps of the majestic Macomber. WOULD NEVER THINK OF GOING ELSEWHERE IN CAPE MAY. Thank you for being there and being a part of our family!!
DOYLESTOWN, PA

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Howard,Pa.
Reviewed 5 October 2004

Stayed at the Hotel Macomber for two nights. awoke 1st morning at 6:30 a.m. to the sounds of trash cans being washed with hose. bathroom very small and could use a good overhaul. hot and cold faucets were opposite in shower. our daughters room did not even have a curtian on bathroom window.
I felt they could have at least provided some
morning coffe in the lobby. We wanted to express
our concerns when we checked out, but never
did find anybody at the front desk when we left at 9:15 a.m. Next time I'll stay elsewhere

10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member