“Great Value, Excellent Location”
Review of The Cape Winds

The Cape Winds
The Cape Winds
Ranked #37 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
Baltimore, Maryland
“Great Value, Excellent Location”
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Cape May is a fabulous place to spend a few days, throughout the spring, summer, and fall. Cape Winds Motel is very reasonably priced and the rooms are large and clean. There is a refrigerator, but no microwave or coffee maker. But it is located just 3 blocks from the Acme supermarket. It is q quick 1.5mile drive to the Nature Conservancy lake. The lighthouse, lake, and hawk observation station is just another 1.5 miles from that. It is also a quick r=drive to Beach Road.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank zevb

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
cresskill
Reviewed 8 August 2013

The ceiling must have made out of cardboard paper. We heard footsteps and conversation from upstairs. There was peculiar stench coming out of the air condition and old carpet. Extremely unpleasant employees. Never!!! Ever let your child run to the bathroom if you happen to be there after a check out. It will be considered staying the whole day. That was what I was told. It is cheap low end priced motel with owners and employees gone too far with unfairness and hostility. I am sharing with my experience with all my friends, family and co workers who are planning a short but not too pricey get away to be aware of this particular place. We've decided to move out earlier than we planned and have paid for. You get what you paid for. The worst experience at the Cape May.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank jay k

Travellers are raving about these Cape May hotels

Yonkers, New York, United States
Reviewed 7 July 2013

Not a fancy place but if your looking for a place to sleep away from it all yet in walking distance this is the place!!Nothing special at all only 1 vending machine but the place is fairly clean!I was skeptical about a motel at first but needless to say i would do it again!

Room Tip: Online every site said this place was booked,Yet our friends went down prior to us & were able t...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Frankie C
Millville
Reviewed 8 October 2012

My wife and I stayed there this w/e; all the windows were open, tried to close...handle broken. went to front desk to have it fixed. she said "take the screen out and pull it close" I tried that, it didn't work. she gave us another room. still had issue with the windows (goin to be a cold nite) I had to go outside and push the window while my wife locked them.
beds are very small.no fan in bathroom, took awhile for hot water.musty smell- left fan on all nite.
only reason we stayed there was they took a 1 nite visit.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Jersey City, New Jersey
Reviewed 30 August 2012

I stayed here because it was relatively inexpensive by Cape May standards and it was a last minute booking. The place was terrible. It was fairly clean but the bed was really uncomfortable and old and we could hear conversations happening right next door. We could even hear coughing and sneezing. Only stay here if you absolutely have to. Location was also poor. It was right off a busy street.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Bristol, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 10 September 2011

It's a shame this hotel doesn't get more attention. Its VERY clean, the staff are WONDERFUL (friendly, down-to-earth, happy) and accommodating. We're far enough away from the noise and we've never had noisy people either next to, or below us. It didn't matter that we were farther from the beach than many other motels. All we needed was a place to sleep, shower and relax........before going out again. We were comfortable. Our only criticisms are that the showerhead didn't spray properly, the beds were only full-size, and one of the chairs had a ripped cover...no biggie. This place is reasonable and nice for the small amount of time that we spend in our room. We like to hit the beaches and sight-see. :-)

Finally... a family-owned place that has charm, is peaceful, clean and is more realistic about its rates (it's what Cape May was like when I was a kid...before huge hotel corporations took over and charged ridiculous prices!!! If you aren't "high maintenance" (spa, pool, chocolates on the pillows), then try it for yourself! --You didn't really come to the beach just to stay inside most of the day, did you?

Room Tip: Room 10 has the bad shower nozzel.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
New Jersey
Reviewed 28 August 2011

We were looking for a place to stay overnight so we could take the first ferry in the morning on our way to Ocean City, MD. After reading the reviews on here I decided to risk it because it was cheaper, and we had no need for any amenities like beach, pool, or on-site restaurants. The young lady managing the office was super-nice, and the place was clean. That's about all I can say.

The parking lot is gravel, with no marked spaces, and guests had parked far apart, so there was no room to park when we arrived about 7 PM. The office person told us we could park in the street or a nearby lot. I was leaving valuables in the car so I waited till someone moved out, then parked.

The first reviewer on here mentioned a very strong odor of cleaner. I stayed in room #1, and this odor - fumes, actually - were extremely strong. I opened the window but then it was hot. I ended up with a huge headache from the fumes.

Some teenage boys upstairs were clattering up and down the stairs until about midnight, then again about 6 AM.

The worst part, though, was the fact that, despite charging $165 for the room, they required a separate CASH payment of $12 for each of my two girls. They did mention this upfront but I guess it didn't register that it was CASH (doesn't that sound a little shady?) and it took a chunk out of my vacation cash. This was bad enough, but even after paying the extra $24, there were only two towels (for 4 people) in the bathroom, and by the time we noticed it, the office was closed and the staff person had gone home. If it hadn't been for this towel fiasco, I probably would not have bothered to write this review. We went on our way to the ferry and Ocean City with no sleep and no showers.

I was so angry that we had been charged an extra $24 cash for two girls, and not even given towels for them, that if I'd had time I would have looked up whatever authority controls lodging in that town.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family