“Great Place to Stay”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Buttonwood Manor Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #36 of 40 Cape May B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 July 2013

My mom, sister and I stayed in the Sophia room. It's the one with the bathroom outside the room.

I spoke with the main office before going on my trip and they were helpful in recommending spas and restaurants. I ordered flowers and a cake for my mom's bday. These were there when we arrived and they were beautiful.

Good:
The room was beautiful, sun filled, very comfy beds.
Since the bathroom was outside the room, we were provided nice soft clean robes to wear when going from the bedroom to the bathroom.
The common areas are clean comfortable with enough seating for all the guests.
Parking was not an issue.
Breakfast was decent and was served on time.
Nice amentites - beach towels, umbrellas, insect repellant all provided in the foyer.

Not so good:
There was a sink in the room that didn't work. I gather it must have worked at some point but that space could better be used for a dresser, as there was limited storage space for our clothes.
The space were the toilet is located is very small. It's placed between the radiator and the tub. It's rather uncomfortable to sit.
The carpet that runs through the hallway and steps is dirty and old. It doses't match the rest of the home and should be updated.

Other:
Our Innkeeper was Penny but we didn't see much of her. Instead we had a stand-in Innkeeper, Lisa. Lisa was great. She was friendly, hospitable, engaging - all the great things you'd want in an Innkeeper...except that she didn't know much about Cape May (like restarants, things to do, etc). Maybe this was bc she was a standin. It wasn't too much of a big deal but it would have given her an A+ instead of an A.

I would stay here again if I went back to Cape May. Over all, I would highly recommend this place.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 3 June 2013

I will begin with the good. The innkeeper Penny was delightful, we met a great group of people, and the inside decor was both charming and clean. The living room area is colonial, refined, and you won't find a doilie (which I actually like). The room (The Loft) was also great - it is a big room, and kept very well. The breakfast was delightful, as well. Everything was actually quite good.

However, I would like to make a reccomendation to the owners of the Inn to invest in serious landscaping. The rock parking lot has grass growing through it, there are bags of soil placed everywhere outside, the grass is overgrown, and there are huge weeds EVERYWHERE! One of the highlights of this inn is the outside area, other inns don't have such a big and beautiful space. It would have been so nice to lay outside and read one day, but that was impossible, because the yard was almost scary. Maybe this isn't a big deal to some, but when my partner and I pulled up to the building we looked up other bed & breakfast places to go to, we were on the verge of leaving until we walked inside and realized it was very nice. Actually, the landscaping is the only thing that would keep me from coming back. Don't hide a gem behind all those weeds, do something about this.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Caitlin Z
Reviewed 9 October 2012

Friends and I stayed at this Cape May B&B over the weekend. Our greeting by the inn keeper, Penny, was warm and welcoming. Our group of 10 took up most of the B&B and we were made to feel at home. Penny was attentive to our needs, presented a fabulous breakfast and afternoon spread and really went out of her way to make us comfortable. I highly recommend Buttonwood Manor. We are already planning our 2013 stay!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 July 2012

My boyfriend and I loved the Buttonwood Manor Bed and Breakfast so much we went back. Same wonderful service from a simply delightful innkeep. Joanna was a ray of sunshine every day and Erica's customer service is just exceptional. Again we met wonderful individuals and they happen to know a mutual friend of ours. Which led us into a interesting conversation and we just hit it off right away. Our weekend was so great we didn't even notice the so-so weather. Just that we were having a great time with great people and got some much needed R&R. I think we are going to start going twice a year now. Thinking about trying the Akwaaba Bed and Breakfast in Washington in the fall.

Room Tip: All the room are good in my opinion.