“Worst Experience in Cape May in 20 years.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Prince Edward Victorian Suites
Ranked #34 of 40 Cape May B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 August 2011

My family stayed in this house the summer of 2011 in one of the hottest weeks it was 100 degrees when we arrived; five adults and a two year old. There was an overgrowth on the porch which made the curb appeal of the house look terrible, the owners have really let the outside of the home go. When we entered the rooms it was blistering hot and after getting up into the rooms everyone, including my two year old was sweating to death. Over the week the rooms never seemed to cool down because there cheap air conditioners spit out warm air. The room i slept in with my husband and two year old son had NO air conditioner in it, we sweat through the first couple nights and my son was extremely uncomfortable, however, the owners seemed to think sleeping in those conditions was appropriate. One night we made dinner at home, and when we were cleaning up we noticed the pipe underneath the sink had been broken the whole time we were there, and good thing we looked because the bin catching the water was beginning to overflow. So my husband and mother cleaned up what could have been a terrible mess and we alerted the owner. I would like to emphasize the condition of the pipe was like that before we got to the home, apparently there was a bolt that had broken in half, something that will occur when pluming is not updated over the years. When we returned home the owner emailed us to tell my mother that he was not returning the security deposit, claiming we hid the broken plumbing from him, and that if we had a problem we could take him to court. This is the worst treatment we have recieved from any home in Cape May, and my parents have been staying there for 28 years. Do NOT stay at this home, the condition is awful, they have not been keeping up with the home repairs or needs, it smells, they offer you nothing and steal your money to cover costs they cannot afford.

Room Tip: dont stay here
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
6  Thank natalie b

Reviewed 19 June 2010

Blessed by great weather for a long weekend, my sister and I enjoyed our stay. The two bedroom suite was clean, well ventilated (with AC if needed) and came with a convenient kitchen which was great for having breakfast and lunchy (and saving money). The location was right in the heart of things, less than a block from the beach and near all shops. It was a bit noisy at times due to garbage pick-up EARLY in the a.m. and some loud folks on the street. The place itself is beautiful. Our host was helpful and eager to provide recommendations of restaurants, etc.

• Stayed: June 2010
Reviewed 20 February 2010

My family and out friends (both with teenagers) decided to stay at "The Prince Edward Inn", and our experience was awful! We saw two of the reviews were positive and one was negative, so we decided to give it a chance. As one of the reviews said "The owner was very rude and asked for the money up front upon our arrival" she did the same to us. I believe we got stuck in the same room as the people in the negative review. The owner said it was a colonial cellar however it was a basement. It smelled like must and all of our sheets were not clean. As i read in the other review they said to bring your own towels so we did. I had forgot to bring bathing towels so I asked the owner about them and her excuse was "We are going green and saving money because then we would have to buy a washing machine to wash them". I had to go out and buy towels! I would NEVER stay here again!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
5  Thank rgitaly
Reviewed 1 August 2008

We booked the Ocean Suite and had a wonderful time. What you get is a nice Victorian efficiency apartment (second floor,
outside stairs, private entrance) very close to the beach and
pedestrian shopping mall with a shared driveway to park your
car in (which is nearly impossible in Cape May.) The kitchen appliances, TV, and wireless internet worked fine.
The bed was comfortable. The water pressure in the shower
was a bit low for my liking (Victorian plumbing) but in general
everything was satisfactory. The closest experience would be
renting a beach house, you have your privacy if you want or can
go sit on the porch and meet the other guests. If you don't mind stairs and slightly antique plumbing you'll have a great time.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 29 March 2008

I stayed at this Inn for a few days in the summer. I did not like it at all. When I first walked into my room it smelled of MUST. If you stay here bring your own TOWELS!!!! There are no towels in the bathrooms. We had to use our beach towles! Which were salty and sandy from the beach during the day. We were also informed upon our check- in that our suite had been a colonial sellar with rat infestation. If that isn't enough to scare you, on the first night i found a spider in my sheets!!! The owner was incredibly rude and unaccomodating. Upon our arrival the owner immediatly required that we pay for our whole stay up front in cash only. On our arrival home as we unpacked our clothes they still reaked of must. Everything had to be dry cleaned.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank NJtravelers004
A TripAdvisor Member
New York, NY
Reviewed 7 September 2005

We have just returned from Labor Day Weekend at the Prince Edward Inn. The inn is magnificent and is so close to all of the attractions. It was so lovely that it was hard to say goodbye and we are already looking forward to our stay next summer.
We stayed on the 3rd level of the house. We were expecting to find a clean, well kept suite. We were very excited when we arrived, not only was the suite immaculate but the victorian furniture throughout the entire house is beautiful! Also, there was a completely working kitchen (including stove) and air conditioning, althought we never used because the house gets a wonderful ocean breeze.
The beach is lovely and is only about a half a block away. The inn is also only 2 houses from the mall (the pedestrian walking mall).

• Stayed: September 2005