“An Extended Weekend Getaway”

La Mer Beachfront Inn
Ranked #19 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
Old Bridge, NJ
“An Extended Weekend Getaway”
Reviewed 21 August 2012

This was our 2nd or 3rd time back at this place. They have done so much more to this place: new buildings, gym, beach service. This place is located at the opposite side of the downtown area/scene. It's quiet and peaceful and the beach was perfectly not crowded.

We came back to this place because the location and the value. However, this time around, I have some mixed feelings about the place. First, when we arrived at the hotel (Friday PM), I noticed that there weren’t that many cars in the parking lot. Good sign.

Front desk staff was friendly and polite. Answered all our questions and politely pointed us towards our room. Unfortunately, it was towards the old part of the resort. We requested to change the room to the new part of the hotel, but we were told that all the rooms were booked. The new wings looked nice and it would have been great to have gotten a room there. The lady at the front desk mentioned that the old part of the hotel was renovated the same time the new part was being built. Ok, at least parking was ample and we went up to our rooms. Oh, plus I did noticed that the VACANCY sign was on. Mmm.

Although La Mer claimed that the old part has been renovated, it seemed that the only renovation they did was a paint job in the hallways and in the rooms. We went inside our room and noticed that the furniture looked old, the carpet looked old, the beds/mattresses and linen ditto. Inside the bathroom, hint of overpainting was splattered all over the molding inside. The carpet had a light musky smell that clearly showed it wasn’t new. The other big downer about the place were the thin walls. I heard everyone around us that night. From the laughter next door to our left, the loud TV to our right, and the crying baby across the hall.

It was no secret that sleep that night was going to be bad. And it was. Added to the noise, the bed my wife and I slept on was very uncomfortable. The mattress was on the stiff side. The other bed in the room was tilted, so we weren’t going to use that one either. Sleep quality was very poor. We booked the room for three nights, we ended up staying for only 2 instead. We lost our third night, because La Mer required a 3 night minimum and they wouldn’t give us a refund.

Breakfast the next morning took place at the Pier House. Staff was top notch. Very friendly, polite and all done with a genuine smile. The inside of the Pier House however, was a different story. The carpet smelled so badly that we opted to eat outdoors instead. Good thing the air condition was strong inside, because the smell could have been worse.

The beach service was great though. The gentlemen handling the chairs/towels courteously planted our lounge chairs and umbrellas at any location we desired. A lounge chair towel cover and towels were also provided. That was nice. In the past, we had to get up early and claim empty lounge chairs by putting our beach towels over it before the crowd takes it all. Pier House also provided food beach service, so that was a bonus.

All in all, I wasn't happy with my experience this year at La Mer. For the price we paid, we expected more. Would I return? People service was great. The ladies that took care of our rooms were very friendly and accommodating. The staff in the restaurant and the beach were also great. If there were no hotel availability on Beach Ave, maybe I'll return. But that’s a stretched out maybe. If they had refunded us our 3rd night, I would easily give them another chance. But that lost night left us with a bitter feeling. When we checked out early, there was no "how was your stay?" or "why are you leaving early?" from the front desk. They got their 3rd night paid, and it didn't matter to them what we felt.

Room Tip: Make sure your room doesn't face the building adjacent to it. You lose a lot of privacy because...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Ricky V
marakis, Manager at La Mer Beachfront Inn, responded to this review, 15 September 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our Inn. We are happy you choose to stay with when visiting Cape May and hope you come again. If you feel like you prefer the newer wing over the older one, please be sure to book there. And while the vacancy sign was on, it's most likely the main hotel was booked but our penthouses in the center of town were still vacant.

Again, thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and we will be sure to address the issues in your review.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
Reviewed 20 August 2012

New beach service is wonderful. Love the lounge chairs and luxurious towels. Nice not to have to tote everything down to the beach. Have to comment too many unregistered friends and family of guests at pool. Need to monitor that. By the way, anybody notice any unusual activity while you were there?

• Stayed August 2012
marakis, Owner at La Mer Beachfront Inn, responded to this review, 21 August 2012
Wow! Wow! Wow! Thank you so much for the thorough and in-depth review. We truly feel as though you captured the essence of our Inn. We love that you found our rooms clean, that you enjoyed our beach amenities, found The Pier House affordable and delicious and our staff warm and friendly.

Often times, people are quick to complain but you managed to take time out of your busy life and share your excellent experience with us and we truly appreciate that.

Lastly, you exude a positively happy and radiant vibe and we love that about our customers!

We hope to see you again. Thanks again for the awesome words — it made our month!
Philadelphia
Reviewed 20 August 2012

La Mer is a great place to stay in Cape May. It is located at the top of the town, so it is quiet and away from the downtown. The hotel staff is very nice. The room was clean, and provided the usual shampoos, etc... a nice extra was a make up remover towelette which you don't see everywhere. Another perk is the beach chaise, towel and umbrella service at the beach across the street from the hotel. Again, the service there was great. You can also order food from the Pier House restaurant which is attached to the hotel and have it delivered.
Overall this was a great place to stay, the only perk or drawback depending on your point of view is the distance to the downtown which is a little less than 3/4" of a mile.

Room Tip: The rooms on the ends a nice if you want to avoid pool noise.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Klanker
marakis, Owner at La Mer Beachfront Inn, responded to this review, 15 September 2012
Thank you, thank you, thank you for the kind words! We are thrilled you chose to stay with us during your recent stay. We love that you find our property quiet and clean. We are also happy you enjoyed our beach amenities. We hope to see you again and thank you again for the glowing review!
Carmel, New York
Reviewed 17 August 2012

This was our first trip to Cape May. We decided to go away on a Monday and arrived at La Mer on that Friday morning at 9:15am. I had done my research about the amenities and area so we knew we could go to the front desk and obtain beach tags to go the the beach and use the facilities until check in time at 3pm. The front dest staff was great, the management addressed the previous concerns from previous guests stating they felt at though they were not given all the information about amenities. I found the staff to be professional and helpful every time I needed help. We loved that the resort is not in the crazy busy part of Beach Ave. My son and husband walked to the surf shop the first day and enjoyed the walk. We all took the trolley to Washington St shopping area, had dinner and walked back to the resort from there and found it enjoyable. It was great to walk after a great meal and feel the evening beach breeze and watch the moon on the ocean.

The room (ocean panoromic view) was great! Gorgeous view of the beach with a balcony that wrapped around two sides of our room. We had 2 queen size beds and a mini kitchen area with a sink, large counter, microwave, and fridge that was much larger then I thought it would be (held three 1/2 gallon containers in the door and had more then enough room for food and a few freezer items). The major reason I chose this resort was due to the reviews regarding how clean it was (I am a bit of a germaphobe) and proximity to the beach. It did not disappoint on both fronts. It was my husband, our 15 year old son, and me; plenty of space.

We used the trolley to get around instead of driving for the most part. I thought this was terrific, we showed our room key and road free. This allowed us to get around and enjoy ourselves. Some people on the trolley were making rude comments to the elderly driver that were unnecessary. Tip to everyone: if you are an angry malcontent, stay home and don't spread your virus to others who are on vacation to enjoy themselves).

We never used the pool because we spent the entire time on the beach! The resort supplies the full length beach chairs with fitted towels and an additional towel and an umbrella. It was fantastic!! We loved watching the dolphins swim by in the morning. My son was so close to one he almost touched it! The beach staff was terrific, attentive, and extremely helpful. On the Sunday of our stay, two brief downpours rolled through. We just walked to our room, waited it out and when we went back to the beach our chairs were there and we were given dry towels! Not having to pack beach towels and chairs for the trip was PRICELESS!! I saw a comment about the resort being overrun with families and children but I did not have that experience. It may have been when they visited. I actually noticed many couples and groups of adult friends more than children. A note about the review stating the pool was smallish, I noticed all pools in this area are the same; real estate is at a premium, with the beach across the street you don't needs an enormous pool.

The Pier House has a FANTASTIC breakfast! It is not overpriced in relation to any other restaurant that I would go to for a comparable meal. Additionally, the staff walks the beach taking lunch orders that can be delivered to your chair. We did not do this only because we brought groceries for breakfast and lunch, but many people took advantage of the service. By far our best meal was at the Lobster House. We went there on our way home from a few hours in Wildwood. We arrived for dinner at 9:30pm, were seated within 5 minutes and had a fantastic meal.

Advice: no matter where you are going, do your research about the resort, area, amenities, things to do. This helps you to have a great trip and eliminates people who are waiting to check in behind you. It is unreasonable to expect the hotel staff to tell you every detail about everything. TripAdvisor is fantastic to investigate before you travel.

I can't wait to return to this resort, it was well worth the money!

Room Tip: Pay for a beachfront view, and if you can get a panoramic view.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank Kristin A
marakis, Manager at La Mer Beachfront Inn, responded to this review, 21 August 2012
Oh my goodness! Thank you so much for the thorough and in-depth review. We truly feel as though you captured the essence of our Inn. We love that you found our rooms clean, that you enjoyed our beach amenities, found The Pier House affordable and delicious and our staff warm and friendly.

Jersey City, New Jersey
Reviewed 9 August 2012

My husband and I have never stayed at this hotel in Cape May, but my sister and brother-in-law already booked their room their so we decided to as well. We all arrived at the hotel at 2:00pm on Sunday. We had to wait 20 minutes to check-in even though there were 4 people working at the front desk checking people in. It has to be the slowest check-in process I have seen at a hotel in a very long time. When we actually do check-in we cannot get our room keys because the rooms aren't ready. This I do not understand since check-out is at 11:00am and most hotels allow you to go to the rooms early. They did provide us all with our parking and beaches passes and told us to come back at 3:00pm. We came back at 2:55pm to find the lobby filled with people waiting for their room keys, but none of the rooms were ready which I found hard to believe. My husband and I got our keys at 3:15pm, but my sister didn't get into her room till after 3:30pm.

The rooms themselves are fine. My husband and I had a smaller room (had a mini-microwave, mini-fridge) than my sister who had a great kitchen complete with a microwave, dishes and flatware as well as a huge fridge.

After we got our stuff in the rooms, we all went to the pool. Unfortunately, when we arrived there were no towels. We realized since there are so many kids at the hotel they go fast, so its easier to get them at the front desk every morning. The best part of the hotel is the beach service. With the beach passes provided by the hotel, you go across the street to the beach and they set you up with a nice lounge chair, umbrella and towels. The Pier House restaurant also provides food service on the beach so you don't even have to leave. I would recommend going to the beach in the morning/afternoon and the pool later when the kids have left. I love kids, but the pool is super crowded because of them.

The hotel itself has a lot of parking for its guests and its on the end of the strip so its not loud at night. So overall, the hotel is fine, but nothing spectacular considering the price and expect a lot of families with young children.

Room Tip: I think the rooms that come with "Green Parking" tags are bigger. My husband and I had the...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Sillygirl129
marakis, Manager at La Mer Beachfront Inn, responded to this review, 11 August 2012
Thank you for taking the time to stay at our hotel. We do feel it's important to tress that almost all of the hotels on Cape May have a 3 o' clock check in time. While we do out best to get customers in their rooms sooner, during our busier months 3 o'clock it is. We're sorry if you had to wait a minute later!

We are so happy you enjoyed our beach services...our frozen drinks, beach chairs and umbrellas are bar none!

Again, thanks for reviewing us and we hope to see you again.
nyc
Reviewed 7 August 2012

spent a few days during july at la mer with my husband beginning on a monday. Although the hotel is large, modern and convenient it is over run with families and children. the pool which is smallish for such a large resort has mostly shallow water and is constantly brimming with kids and children of all ages at all times.
the rooms are ok and although we asked for a an ocean view on the fourth floor and assured families with young children are not accommodated in that wing, that was not the case. the fitness center was adequate but the spa was no open as advertised.
We had a few problems with the room like a toilet leaking all over the floor and a TV remote which did not work, room phone not working, these issues were addressed and repaired.

Room Tip: top floor ocean front with 2 exposures are the best rooms
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank citisieg
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel!

We are sorry you feel our hotel is not for couples but we would have to disagree. We have recently built an entire "couples only" wing which is just thing for people without children.

As for our busy pool, during the summer months families do love flocking to the Jersey Shore so it is quite a commonality to see children at all the neighboring properties as well.

Again, thanks for reviewing us and we are happy you chose to stay with us. We hope you come back!
Reviewed 2 August 2012

Great beach vacation with kids. Loved the rooms and the umbrellas and chaise lounge chairs on the beach make this the easiest family vacation ever.

Service response could be better. Had an issue and the response was "I called someone" didn't help.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Valpickle
Thank you so so much for the glowing review! We are over the moon you had a great family vacation here at the La Mer.

We will be sure to share your service review with our service crew.

Once again, thanks for taking the time to review us. Please come back and stay with us again!