“A Real find”

La Mer Beachfront Inn
Ranked #19 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
Reviewed 27 July 2014

My wife and I stayed at the hotel this past weekend. We usually like B&Bs but couldn't find a vacancy on short notice. We found a room at La Mer and booked it online. After staying here I don't think we will ever go back to a B&B. The room was great. It was large, with some kitchen amenities and was very clean. It wasn't cheap, but the amenities that they provided were great. We especially liked the beach service which provided lounge chairs, towels and umbrellas. You can also have food delivered to you by the Pier house, which has excellent food. Off street parking, a pool, and beach tags were nice added extras. We would definitely stay there again. Look for the "Flash Sales" where they offer discounts on rooms. The only drawback is that it wasn't close to the mall. However, there is free trolley service that will take you there and back. (It costs a buck on the return if you don't buy anything)

Room Tip: Look for the "Flash Sales"
1  Thank Rootdmd

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Booked this hotel for my sister-in-law and my annual girls trip vacation. Chose it because it is on the quieter end of Beach Ave, away from the traffic, hordes of people and amusements. Anyone who reviews the hotel and complains about that should have done their homework before booking - you want 'action' then Don't.Stay.Here! Our "panoramic view" room had a beautiful ocean front view, but the other view was of the pool, not the ocean so I was disappointed in the advertising. Did not use that end of the wrap around balcony because of it. Having the refrigerator was so handy, and although we did not use the microwave this is a nice plus - and is in every room style. The beds were comfy, the room clean and service always friendly. Extra perks that we truly appreciated were the free beach tags, beach towels, chairs and umbrellas - just show your room key or give the beach attendant your name, then he'll drag those chairs and equipment anywhere on the beach you'd like to set up! They provide an outside shower to get all the sand off you, as well as a small appointed space to use for showering and changing if you wish to stay at the beach or pool longer after your checkout. You park your car in your designated area, which is identified by your colored car tag. This was a very nice set up so we always were able to find parking on OUR end of the hotel.

Ate at the Pier house both mornings for breakfast - plentiful portions and decent prices. There is the option of sitting outside as well. Also had dinner here, and the meal was excellent.

Only negative I encountered was shortage of space at the pool. Although I did beach it most of the time, SIL likes pools better and had a little difficulty finding an unoccupied spot.

Room Tip: Ocean facing rooms are the best, imho. Don't wast your money for the panoramic views, as dependi...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank lucky1135
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Annual trips to Cape May are a family tradition for my husband and I, and our adult children and their families. We have been staying at Cape May during July 4th week for 6 years (some years twice in one season), and have stayed in at least 4 different hotels. This year we rented rooms at La Mer and were so glad we did.

La Mer is situated on Beach Avenue, away from all the chaos, on a quiet part of the strip. The beach crowd is tamer in this section. Trolley service is available to the Washington Mall - show your room key to go and, on the return, either pay $1 or show the driver a receipt from your purchase at the mall to ride for free. Its an easy walk to the shops and arcades on Beach Avenue and the more densely populated sections of the beach strip and to the restaurants on the pier.

About the hotel...parking under the building, nice pool, always clean throughout, nicely appointed rooms with balconies, and, helpful and professional staff. My ocean-facing room had a sitting area with a king bed, love-seat pullout, 2 television sets, kitchenette with a 5' refrigerator and a microwave; dishes and tableware in ample cabinets. My daughter's room contained 2 queen beds and a partitioned sitting area with a full sofa bed. Her kitchenette had a 2-burner stove - ideal for families traveling with children. Housekeeping - professional, considerate and always rooms always left immaculate!

Items not mentioned on the hotel's website, which I consider essential, are: included full beach service consisting of chairs, umbrellas and towels; towels provided at pool-side; food service at beach and pool which begins at noon.

We were so pleased with our stay at La Mer; we will probably return later this season and definitely next year.

Room Tip: If booking room with kitchenette, ask about fridge and cooktop, if those things matter to you. Effi...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank CosmoChickNYer
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I was pleasantly surprised at this hotel's spacious rooms, excellent service and clean facility. I was disappointed to leave after the weekend was over. First time staying there and would definitely go back. Great location. Worth the price. Pool was a bit crowded and chilly as I read on one prior review but I am on the beach 98% of the day anyhow. If you're looking to stay at the pool all day, you may want to consider. If you are only dipping in and out, its fine. I appreciate learning about this hotel prior to staying on many nice Trip Advisor reviews.

Room Tip: second floor is good, a bit elevated and less foot traffic
5  Thank Karen T
Reviewed 10 July 2014

We stayed at the Le Mer Beach front Inn on the fourth of July weekend . We have been staying at that hotel every week end for the last seven years but this year we were very disappointed in their service and their personal at the front desk. We vacation their with our family and rent out several rooms for us to stay in since we are a big family. On this vacation when I made the reservations I had requested rooms that were next to one another because of the children it would make it easier to help out my daughter . I was promised rooms next to one another well that did not happen. That was the first thing gone wrong , next my daughter was in her room when this huge thousand legger bug went running across the room and since she is so afraid of bugs this was a big problem !! we did tell the hotel and they said they would spray for the bugs. Our room on our second night all we could hear was running water in the hallway closet we were up all night because the sound of running water can drive you crazy!!! We were then the next day given another room but it was not the same as our first room we paid for a deluxe room and this one was not and who on vacation feels like changing rooms and moving all your stuff to another room and miss a beach day by having to do that . The pool was clean but too small for all the quest at the hotel to be able to use at the same time it was very crowded and sometimes there were no chairs to seat down on and towels were not available at all times at the pool. I think that the hotel this year must of changed management because the service was not the same. They told us because of our issues they were going to extend to us a longer check out time till 6;00 pm and when I went down to do that they made it seem like I was trying to get something that I was not offered and told me that I should of been out by 11;00 am , when I showed them the letter they gave us for the extended stay they tried to apologize and say it was a mistake in communication. Mean while I was made to look like a fool in front of other quest and workers in the hotel lobby. In the past I really liked this hotel but this year their service was not the same and because of that I would not go back in the future. A hotel should stand by reservations made and when quest have special requests not to say "ok we can accommodate you" and when you go there they tell you "oh it is a holiday weekend we can not do that". Very disappointed this year I do not go on vacation to be aggravated by hotel management and their incompetent staff. Also since this hotel has lots of Family's with children staying there they should arrange some activity's for the children with arts and crafts, games or events during the day so that the kids could have something to look forward to and keep busy giving their parents a break, other hotels do this and It is very helpful to the parents and the children ,makes it more fun and enjoyable because being far from the center of town were the stores and activity's are there is not much to do at this end of the beach.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the ocean near the pool are the better rooms but more noisy ,
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank ana s
marakis, Manager at La Mer Beachfront Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Thank you for writing us and explaining your inconveniences experienced on your recent Fourth of July stay at the La Mer Beachfront Inn. We value your insights and are deeply disappointed when our Inn does not reach or surpass our guests' needs. Especially with repeat customers like yourself. Please do know that we responded to all of your complaints in good faith as soon as they were brought to our attention. Each of your troubles where always acknowledged and it's important to keep this in mind during situations such as these.

As for the your rooms not being next door to one another, we, like our neighboring seasonal hotels, simply cannot guarantee exact room numbers — especially during the busiest weekend of the season. We strive our hardest to place families next door to one another, but we cannot make any set-in-stone promises as indicated in your confirmation letters.

When it comes to our rooms' cleanliness, we pride ourselves on offering guests spotless and fresh accommodations. As indicative in our Trip Advisor reviews, almost every guest makes note of our obsession toward cleanliness. The fact you found a centipede in your room is extremely rare and indeed disappointing especially since we treat our facility against insects. When you brought up the situation, we tried to pacify matters and gifted you $25 toward The Pier House. We made an earnest effort to make amends with the rare occurrence.

As for your situation with running water, we apologize for any inconvenience. We addressed the issue by sending the maintenance crew to your room when the issue was brought to our attention.

We're sorry if you felt as though you were not effectively accommodated in addressing this matter with you. Should you choose to vacation with us again; we will strive our hardest to make your stay more enjoyable. It is also imperative you know that we are truly appreciative for your bringing your negative experience to light because we always learn from our mistakes.

We wish you an excellent summer!

Reviewed 10 July 2014

Spent the weekend of June 27th at Le Med for a family reunion, JUST WONDERFUL! Rooms were beautiful and spacious. We reserved 20 rooms for the event and every one of them was great. Perfect distance from the beautiful beach and the Pier House Restaurant EXCELLENT food. Only complaint.....NONE! I would highly recommend.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank momasitta
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We were looking for a getaway for the 4th. Most hotels were booked in Cape May found this wonderful hotel. The staff was wonderful,room was bright and clean! Chairs/umbrellas and towels all available for free.