“Not a Dusty Victorian!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #10 of 39 Cape May B&B and Inns
South Orange, New Jersey
“Not a Dusty Victorian!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

Peter Shields Inn was lovely; a modern classic flair to the inn made it stand out among it's overly frilled and fusty competitors. They have very personalized service without the overly engaging bed and breakfast vibe. The inn keepers are busy continuing with redecorating and renovating rooms. Our room was elegant, with a covered back porch(parking lot view but still great even in winter), a huge bathroom with Jacuzzi, a gas fireplace and top of the line decoration and bedding. The one drawback was the the kitchen exhaust fan was attached to the wall outside and made a quite a loud background when on. We weren't in the room much when it was on so not a big issue for us but something to be aware of in room 4. The evening wine and cheese for guests was exceptional, carafe's of wine and a cheese plate and dip were out every evening before dinner in the upstairs guest lounge; continuously refreshed, not just left to first come first serve which was perfect. Nice to meet the other guests and see them at the included breakfast the next day. The breakfast was top-notch, fruit, muffins and an ordered entree. Ideal location across from the beach and about 5 blocks from the hustle of downtown. A lovely stay!

Room Tip: rooms in the front over the restaurant can be noisy till 11pm in season. Room 4 has an exhaust fan...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NancyC-VW

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Lititz, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014

A mid-winter birthday celebration, no better place to have than at the PSI. We stayed in Room 1, the Ocean Room. It had been newly renovated and looks absolutely amazing. The new colors are very soothing with its matching drapes, rug and new chairs, simply fabulous. The renovated bathroom shower is so very inviting and the claw foot tub, just as we had remembered. We were welcomed with open arms by the owner, Jeff and the amazing winter staff of Bridget, Donna, Christopher (our dinner server) and the facilities manager. Every room has it's own personality and we're looking forward to our stay in June. March special ... any room for $99.00 a night!!! No matter what the season, well worth the price. PSI sits on Beach Ave overlooking the beach and ocean. A very charming B&B with a first class operation and staff. Bicycles, beach chairs, towels & umbrellas provided. What more could you ask for.

• Stayed February 2014
McLean, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

We just returned from the Peter Shields Inn. We stayed for one night on the holiday weekend, but did not eat dinner there (although it looked amazing, we just wanted to venture out to try something outside of the Inn). We stayed in Room 4, which was very nice...the bathroom was huge. The bedroom was a good size - it had this awesome remote control/gas fireplace and a tv above the fireplace mantel. While I wouldn't always care about a tv in the room, being that it was winter and we wanted to escape the cold after exploring the outside "mall", it was nice to just relax and read in the room (and watch a little of the Olympics). The bathroom had both a shower and a separate tub, and they provided robes. The bed had the fluffy linens you would expect and the decor was upscale and modern. It seemed the other rooms were of a similar style. Two of the other rooms on the second floor had sea views and from the balcony on Room 4, you could turn and see the water. Definitely call ahead to ask which rooms have views or balconies. As for the amenities, PSI was excellent. There was a hospitality room stocked with soft drinks, water, cookies, and tea. The one downside is the tea selection in the hospitality room was definitely lacking (but the morning tea selection at breakfast was great). There were sitting rooms on both the second and main floors that were beautiful. They had board games, cards, and books available to borrow. Breakfast was nice - served at tables in the sunroom and you had a selection of items to choose from (plus toast, fruit, juice). The location of the Inn was great - down the street from the main action, and perfect shore views. The staff were all wonderful - very friendly and helpful! Rates were a little higher for the holiday weekend, but they have some really nice winter deals - as for Cape May in the winter, it was great. There were definitely people out and about but it was quiet and calm and a great way to explore a new area.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
West Orange, NJ
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2013

First the good: Very clean! Great location! Beautiful furnishings! Breakfast made to order! Fireplace was great! Individual ac/heating units. Wine & Cheese! Hospitality room!

Now the not so good: I treated myself to a one night escape to Cape May. After a day of sightseeing, I really wanted to relax. I had booked this room 2 days before, so it was paid in full. Otherwise, I probably would have refused to pay. Note to others: Do NOT expect to go to bed early here. The restaurant is very noisy. It was midnight before the place quieted down. When I saw how close my room (#3) was to the restaurant area, I inquired upon check in about how the noise level would be, wish I had followed my instincts right then. I guess I should have known that trying to sleep above a restaurant on a Saturday night would be trouble, but there is first and last time for everything. I called down at about 11pm to share my very frustrated concerns, it took at least an hour after that for things to quiet down. Good for them, I guess the restaurant gets a lot of business, and it is highly rated.

Couple of suggestions for the inn: Get better toilet paper, one-ply toilet paper does not go with an upscale b&b. I don't know how the coffee is that is served during dinner, but the breakfast coffee was very weak. Not sure why my eggs came with only one slice of toast, but a second would have been appreciated.

Really wanted to love it, kicking myself that I booked here for my one night getaway. Guess if I was a night-owl it would be good, but I just wanted quiet.

Room Tip: Room 3 is close to the restaurant, also the view of the beach is obstructed by AC/Heating units. Fi...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Sondra P
Montville, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2013

Great B&B. Location is OK - not as close as some others. The inn has three floors, so be ready for stairs. The staff was extremely friendly with everything. They have free bike rental, beach chairs & towels. Our ocean view room was a view from a rather small / high window. But, having the window open & hearing the surf is GREAT.

Their free breakfast is custom - - not a buffet. Very, very tasty

Bathroom was TINY, but OK

Room Tip: Try for the 2nd floor
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Jeff G, Manager at The Peter Shields Inn, responded to this review, 28 November 2013
We'd love to have you back! Thanks for the kind words about our staff and the amenities we offer our guests — anything we can do to make your stay more enjoyable, we'll take care of it! Again, we appreciate the great feedback, and I hope you make it back soon for another visit.

Jeff Gernitis, Manager, Peter Shields Inn
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

Stayed at the peter shields inn for two nights it was great from the minute you walk in the door Bridgette at the front desk couldn't have been nicer she was also the breakfast cook and each morning she would come in and check that the food was good and it was their was a lot of choices for breakfast but the yogurt with granola and fresh berries is the way to start and then get omelets made to order and the breakfast room is so pretty most rooms have fireplaces it was so great to fall asleep to a roaring fire and everyday at four they put out red white and blush wine with platter of cheeses and fruits if you want a romantic little getaway go here you won't regret I will definitely go back

Room Tip: Room one is one of the best rooms
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank mimi719
Jeff G, Manager at The Peter Shields Inn, responded to this review, 24 November 2013
I'll thank Bridgette for a job well done, Mimi! It sounds like we were really able to make your stay in Cape May a memorable one, and I'm thrilled you have nothing but good things to say about our inn. The next time you're looking for another romantic getaway, we'd love to have you back!

Jeff Gernitis, Manager, Peter Shields Inn
Flagstaff, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2013

We chose to stay here because it is an oceanfront Select Registry property. We reserved Room 2, a premium oceanfront room on the 2nd floor, right over the restaurant. We were there Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights. The room and ocean view (both front and side windows from this room) were very nice. There was some noise from other guests, such as one couple who thought it was OK to let their door bang shut every time they came in or out, but not too bad.

Breakfast was nice. Good hot coffee, juice, excellent granola & yogurt, but the same hot selections each morning, which were fine, just nothing to write home about. We never got hungry until mid-afternoon.

The problem: Having a high-end B&B and a very popular restaurant under the same roof can be a difficult juggling act for the proprietor, and such is the case here. Thursday evening was no problem at all. Friday: the restaurant patrons directly below us were loud and finally left about 10:15, then it was quiet and we went to bed at a reasonable hour. Saturday: very busy restaurant, loud patrons (yes, to be expected), and they left about 10:30 - so we thought it was over, we could now sleep. Wrong. Now it was the employees. Moving tables and chairs about, soft keying of the piano, and worst, a radio playing in the kitchen. In a 100-year-old house, you hear it all. So, at 11:30, with my wife and I laying wide awake in bed, growing angrier by the minute, I got fully dressed and went downstairs.

I said to the employees gathered in the lobby, "Is that y'all making all that noise?". Reply: "What noise?". That set me off; I reminded them that this is a B&B, of the current time, and that the guests would like to sleep. After that it was quiet and we slept.

I spoke to Armando (co-owner) the next morning about this, and he was extremely apologetic and told me of his 11:00pm quiet policy, that the kitchen radio issue would be addressed, and of his plans to install noise absorbing panels in the dining-room ceilings. So we left feeling much better about our overall experience.

The rating: we would have preferred to have given 3-1/2 bullets, but as this is not an option, and because of the owners sympathetic and apologetic response to our complaint, we have decided to "round up" to 4. Armando and his front-desk clerk, Bridget are very professional, kind, and courteous innkeepers (we did not meet the other owner), and this goes a long, long way toward smoothing ruffled feathers.

A little more about the restaurant: it's popular for a reason. Whether or not you stay here, eat there!! We had two dinners there, and they were two of our best three dinners during our entire vacation. An exceptional chef and staff!! Another headache for Armando is that the dinner patrons seem to conveniently not see the signs indicating reserved parking for inn guests only. Our space was taken Friday evening, but with Armando's help, we made do 'til morning.

Room Tip: We feel that Room 2 has the best view, considering window size and trajectory. The side view from R...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Jeff G, Manager at The Peter Shields Inn, responded to this review, 21 November 2013
I can understand how frustrating that must have been, and I do apologize for the inconvenience. While it sounds like Armando and Bridget were able to help you out in a professional and courteous manner, I'm sorry for your experience. That said, I'm thrilled that you were so impressed with our restaurant, and I'll pass that positive feedback along to the rest of my staff. Thanks for the review, and take care!

Carl Messick – Executive Chef, Peter Shields Inn