“RUDE HOTEL STAFF WITH THE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE I HAVE EVER WITNESSED”

Sea Crest Motor Inn
Ranked #10 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
Reviewed 12 August 2010

My family and I reserved 2 rooms at the Sea Crest for 2 nights on Sunday 8/8 and Monday 8/9. First I do need to let everyone know I am not a complainer, I rarely voice my opinion and keep quite. That being said I felt it my responsibility to alert everyone about the Sea Crest Hotel in Cape May, NJ.

Check in was Sunday. We arrived at the hotel very early, about 10am. This hotel does not accept credit cards so we decided to go into the office and pay for our rooms, we didn’t want to walk around with $1200.00 cash. Me and my partner were in 1 room and my Mom, Dad, Sister, and her 2 children who are 10 months and 2 years old were staying in another room. They booked a 2 room suite. They only though my parents room had 1 child not 2. They pulled out a ledger they write everything down in. This hotel does nothing in a computer. The lady at the desk told us they do not allow more than 3 heads in a suite and they already were doing us a favor by allowing a 3rd head, the 1 child. Now that we want another child here this is not something they would allow. This lady went to the back office where I assume the owner was. She came back and said we will allow it this one time and then told us to pay another $25 a night. Ok we paid it, even though they made the mistake and wrote down on paper in this 1950’s style record keeping book we only had 1 kid. I should also mention not once did anyone in the office smile, welcome us, or thank us.

The overall stay for the 2 nights was ok. Rooms very clean, quite property, and pool was well maintained. We asked the office on Monday night about a late check out for Tuesday morning. The lady advised us we could check out at 12pm and we could keep our cars parked in the lot till 4pm on Tuesday.

On Tuesday am we checked out at 11am and 11:30am, well before12pm. After we checked out in the office we were enjoyed the swimming pool as we were told we could stay till 12pm in the rooms and stay parked in the lot till 4pm the night before. Within 30 minutes some lady from the office came to the pool and yelled to us “Who is in room 104, they need to get out now”. We politely informed this lady we all have checked out already. Her response was “then why are you still here.” She also went on to tell us they needed the parking spots for the guests checking in and we needed to leave. I advised her that we were told it was fine to keep our cars in the lot till 4pm per the woman we spoke with in the office the night before. Her response was “Well I was off for the last 3 days and didn’t know this”. She then walked away. This woman was so rude, I cannot believe someone would yell at guests like this and then not even apologize!

Fast forward another 30 minutes. One of the maintenance guys walked over to my sister who had her 2 year old son with her. This guy told her that their insurance will no longer cover the children since we are now checked out of the hotel so we needed to be careful. Can you believe this one! Obviously another scare tactic to make us leave…..keep in mind at this time it is only about 1pm and we were told the night before we could use the facility till 4pm.

I was so upset I couldn’t take this. I walked into the office and told them that I have never been treated so badly by anyone I have done business with. I immediately could tell that the one woman was the owner. Finally the “woman behind the Curtin”! I looked into her eyes and told her if she didn’t want children staying at this hotel they should advertise as an adults only place. I went on to tell her this is rude, unprofessional, and I will never return. This lady never said 1 word to me, she didn’t acknowledge my complaint, she didn’t even say hi…….she stood their in total silence and just smiled.

We left the hotel pool about 2pm and in the parking lot the maintenance guy who told us their insurance didnt cover us anymore came up to us and apologized. He told us the owner made him say the lie about them not having insurance coverage for children after we checked out.

Here is another example of the horrific treatment. When I asked the maid for a box of tissues I was told she was not allowed to give me any because the owners give them 1 per room and since the maid was not on my floor she would get yelled out for coming up short. She advised I would need to go to the office for tissues. Talk about customer service!

Also I should mention we talked to other guest who have been staying here for many years and they said they are never returning. They told us they never get a thank you or a smile for all the years they have been coming. Thank you Sea Crest for making my mothers 50th Birthday and our families weekend getaway stressful and disappointing.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
10  Thank brickdreamer

Reviewed 11 August 2010

We've been staying here every year for the past 4-5 years. We love the SeaCrest. It's right across from the beach, great ocean views. Nice pool and jacuzzi. Very hospitable staff. Atmosphere is calm and quiet, especially if you are a book reader like my husband. Place is kept very clean. It is in walking distance to restaurants and shopping. Beaches are beautiful also.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 August 2010

I called to inquire about suites for a family vacation and was put on hold three times before someone came on the line to help me. As soon as I uttered the word "children," the voice on the other line dropped thirty degrees. I was told flat out that they would not put all of us in a suite and recommended another hotel--whose suites were the same size.

Every Summer when my sister and I were kids, we spent at least a few days in Cape May. I was so excited, now that my twins are six, when my mother suggested a continuation of our family 'tradition' with a three-generation vacation . I'm so glad we found another place where they were happy to have us (where the suites are the same size and, as it turned out, the rates were better). Even if we had made reservations at the Sea Crest, we would obviously have been unwelcome.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
5  Thank traveler07079
seacrestinn, Manager at Sea Crest Motor Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2010

We have a limited number of rooms that we allow children in and they do fill up fast so as a courtesy, when those rooms are full we do recommend another hotel in town. Due to our great customer service and immaculate rooms our phone lines do get very busy with people calling to inquire about the hotel, we try to get to everyone in a timely manor but at times we do have to put callers on hold. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Reviewed 2 August 2010

My husband & stayed here for a three night getaway for our anniversary and it was wonderful! We couldn't believe how clean the hotel was - especially for being right across the street from the beach. The pool and hot tub were immaculate, we never saw any sand, the walkways and flower beds are well maintained...it was beautiful. The hotel is in a perfect location - right across the street from the beach entrance and in walking distance to the main shopping & restaurant area. We stayed in the most inexpensive room - the breezeway - and it was fine. It was a basic room, on the smaller side but large enough for a table and two chairs in addition to the queen size bed and TV. There is no balcony and the room looks out to the next door building, but we wanted to spend most of our time at the beach, not looking at it from our room. We looked at a lot of hotels online & read all the reviews before we booked this one, and we definitely made the right choice, especially after really seeing the other hotels in Cape May for the same price or more. The Sea Crest Inn is perfect - the staff is friendly, the hotel is clean, and the location can't be beat. We will definitely go back - this is the place to stay in Cape May!

Reviewed 1 August 2010

We started looking for a Cape May hotel in early July for a mid-July trip. Oops, next time will know better. Our choices were very limited for our budget. We called the Sea Crest about 3 times before deciding to stay here. Each time, the staff was very nice. It did stretch our budget, but it was the least expensive from what was available on the beach. Although many reviews were positive and the pictures were very nice, I was dubious. We had not stayed in Cape May before, only visited during a thunderstorm. I was very afraid that looks would be deceiving. NOT! The Sea Crest staff was very pleasant. They allowed us to sign in early and leave our car in their lot for the day. We could have used the pool area even without our room being ready, but headed for the beach. The room was quite large with the queen size bed in a separate room. The kitchenette was a surprise, with a full size fridge, microwave, stove. If we were staying longer than two nights, this would have been very handy.

We discovered that our sliding door would not lock and there wasn't a bar for security. Although, this small deck overlooked another deck, I am paranoid. We mentioned it to the staff in the morning and someone was up that afternoon to fix the problem.

They need to improve their wireless service. They advertised free internet, but our room was too far from the access point. Anyone near to the office and pool area could get access.

The pool area was very pleasant, but it was such a hot day, that our stay at the pool was very short. There were a few shaded areas and they were all taken when we visited the pool. We took an early morning dip on our last day. My only complaint would be to start cleaning the pool area before the scheduled open time. They did a very good job, but we had already had our dip when they started cleaning. The hot tub was not heated by the 9:00 open time. It was too hot for a hot tub dip later in the day. (Boy, it was really hot during our stay.)

The private parking was very nice. They even allowed my daughter to park her car for the day while we were at the beach.

We made the mistake of not venturing to the right (south) when we left the hotel and headed towards the other end. There are not many beach front restaurants, but there are two south of the hotel. We should have asked.

Yes, I would stay here again - just not in July.

Reviewed 25 July 2010

We love The Sea Crest!! We've stayed there many times over the past nearly ten years and have always had positives experiences. The staff is friendly, the rooms are extremely clean and the location is very convenient. Whether we go for a "couple's getaway" or to meet up with family, it's the best place to visit!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 July 2010

We booked late at the Sea Crest so we paid pretty, but overall it was very very nice. We did not have an ocean view but were in the breezeway in the back on the third floor which sadly overlooked the roofs of the other lesser kept motels. It was nonetheless relaxing.

The room itself made up for the lack of view with a great kitchenette (everything but an oven) to save on dining out. Full size fridge. Bar area. Microwave, toaster, coffee maker. Two nice and firm queen beds in a separate quarter with great non-stop air conditioner. Pull out sofa. Plenty of extra pillows and more towels came daily than we needed or used. Plenty of space for setting up. Dining table. It was hotter than hell during our stay so the pool was a must several times a day.

The place is somewhat dated in design but it is kept up well: tireless staff sweeping, painting, turning rooms. The latin maintenance guy is dreamy. Nary a grain of sand when walking around barefoot and they bleach-mop the breezeways which is good for barefoot living at the beach.

Off street parking area partially enclosed, but tight: we bashed a fender on a cement support beam trying to get out. Elevator or steps. Ice machine at end of hall. TVs are small but who cared?

The Sea Crest has a longtime mature clientele which makes for a very nice and quiet atmosphere: no screaming children. The pool is gorgeous. The hot tub is a boiling cauldron -- too hot. The rooms are non-smoking but if you do, there are sand buckets around for butts. Vending: 75 cents a can of soda -- where do you see that lately? Plenty of lounges at pool and shade if needed.

Beach view is great, beach is clean; crowded and hot but it is directly across near a beach tag booth and a concession stand for food or chair/ umbrella rentals. About a 3 block walk to the action on the strip and toward Washington Mall which has been done over recently.

It's very charming if pricey, but I suppose they have the right to be competitive. We tried to vie for an extra night but that extra night would have broke me.

Overall, to be in Cape May is heaven. I've even lived there for a few years and I never tire of it. The Sea Crest is a winner. We will be back!

1  Thank MJDRN