“Very disappointed in this hotel and surprised at its high ratings and reviews.”

Sea Crest Motor Inn
Ranked #9 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
Reviewed 2 March 2011

We stayed at the Sea Crest for 5 nights during the Cape May Srping Birding Festival. We had a very disappointing experience overall with the hotel, especially the management. The staff at the front desk was either extremely rude and cold, or warm and helpful, depending on who was on duty. Internet service was only available while standing at the Registration counter where guests checked in. Not even a desk or table was provided for use with our laptops. The room we occupied was a "breezeway" room with an ocean view. The room was stuffy because we couldn't open any windows; therefore, we couldn't hear the ocean at all. The only toiletries offered was a small, cheap bar of soap. You could barely move in the bathroom, and there was no place to put your bathroom bag except the top of the toilet. The biggest surprise was the rude behavior of one of the staff when I picked a strawberry from the patch they grow between the sidewalk and the main street curb (in the public walkway). The staff member ran out of the building and yelled at me not to touch those strawberries. I can understand it if they were in a private garden, but they appeared to be in a very public place with no signs, and I wasn't picking a bunch, just one. We did have a coffee maker provided in the room, but breakfast was not available at the hotel or very close by. The best part of the entire experience to us were the restaurants nearby (like Godmothers and another Italian/pizza place a block further on) where you were encouraged to bring your own wine, with no corkage fees. This was our first experience with the Cape May Birding Festival, and we will definitely be staying elsewhere on future trips. There are many better options for your money.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
3  Thank ocotillo
seacrestinn, Manager at Sea Crest Motor Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2011

Our hotel has 9 room types to offer. Our breezeway motel rooms are our least expensive most basic rooms. They are also the smallest. We provide this option for guests looking for a more economical way to vacation in Cape May. In response to the strawberries, they are adjacent to a rose garden that is sprayed regularly with insecticide and mildewcide which make the strawberries un-safe for consumption. As far as amenities, we offer shampoo, conditioner, and soap. We apologize for the over site if these were not in the room at the time of check in. We would have delivered them if we were notified. We can not remedy a problem if we are unaware that one exists.

There are newer reviews for Sea Crest Motor Inn

Reviewed 13 February 2011

We feel that the Sea Crest Inn is a great place to stay. The rooms have great views and are very clean. After 10 plus years of annual visits we feel like we are with friends at the Sea Crest. I remember the first time I stayed at the Sea Crest the owner approached me at the pool and asked me if I went to the gym to workout because if I did want to go he had free passes . The following day I went to the office and picked up two passes for the gym for my wife and I. At the gym I was greeted by a vaguely familiar face, saying hello and addressing my wife and I by our first names it was the Sea Crest Inn owner. Incredible since he only had met me when I first checked in at the Inn, he recognized me and remembered my name. They greet all of their guests with a welcome treat basket which we really enjoy through out our weekly stays. We have enjoyed Cape May immensely and its great restaurants and the Sea Crest for more than a decade.
We had loved the Sandpiper many years ago until we realized the owners didn't care at all about their guests as opposed to the Sea Crest where you receive great friendly service.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 November 2010

The October rates were fantastic, and I was fortunate to be there for a beautiful fall holiday weekend - warm enough to be on the beach. The room appeared to be newly renovated and was huge and immaculate. The location, just a bit away from the busiest part of town, was fantastic (a short drive or long walk to restaurants and shops), was quiet, andI could sit outside my room on the top floor and have an unencumbered view of the ocean. I will definitely return.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank DelRayKate1
Reviewed 2 November 2010

My husband and I chose Cape May for a short anniversary getaway. The hotel position was great for us - right across from a main beach entrance, but not in the noisier center of town. Room was expensive but fantastic - living room with bar sink area, dining table and sleeper couch, full kitchen facilities, and seperate bedroom. I could easily see a small family enjoying it for a week, although I think it is rated for two people!
The balcony/walkway in front of the room was semi-private with a somewhat obstructed view (over the roof of another building) of the ocean.
Pool area was small but nice. This is not a "full service" hotel, but we found the front desk staff nice and helpful. There is a great variation in rooms, so check online before booking.
Note: They do not take credit cards or checks for on site payment.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 October 2010

Most rooms have a panoramic view of the beach and ocean. Fine location near Western end of Beach Ave., close to Cape May State Park. Quiet and comfortable atmosphere, and very clean.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank marigold60763
Reviewed 10 October 2010

We just came back from our Victorian weekend at the Sea Crest. Great service, clean, friendly. Met new friends. Will definitely be back.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 October 2010

Terrible customer service and ridiculous rules... not allowed to open windows? I do not understand. Irrational behavior from management. Rooms overpriced even for the location.

• Stayed: September 2010