“I guess you get what you pay for.”
Review of Mt. Vernon Motel

Mt. Vernon Motel
Ranked #28 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
Reviewed 26 August 2012

I was a little unsettling that we had to pay for our three nights in cash upon check in. In my experience you pay when you check out. The website said cheery rooms. Unfortunately they were drab and outdated. There was a slight musty smell as well, however the bathroom seemed to be updated enough and the housekeeping crew did a nice job keeping the place clean. The beds were very hard the linens were stiff. We considered checking out after our second night, but when we went to the manager to discuss she was defensive and replied 'it's not my fault it rained. You signed the consent form. No refunds. '. She didn't even ask if there was a problem or if there was anything she could do to make us more comfortable. Yes it was raining but moreover I hadn't slept well for two nights. Any place that sets refund policies around ensuring they are paid is not going to ensure top customer service. I've learned my lesson. I would not recommend this hotel unless you knew what you were paying for ahead of time.

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank Chellebers

Reviewed 23 August 2012

We have been staying at the Mt Vernon Motel for over 20 years. The rooms are always clean and of a decent size. There is a well-maintained pool which is a huge draw after a day on the beach right across the street! They have helped us find babysitters when needed and have accommodated our sometimes late arrivals. We have watched each other's kids grow up. Recently they made a move for us to put our rooms together when we reserved later than usual and couldn't arrange it at the outset. We love to park the car and walk everywhere. This is a great place for a wonderful vacation!

Room Tip: Try to avoid the rooms without a view.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank SRP36
Reviewed 10 June 2012

We came to celebrate my mother in laws 80th birthday. There were 11 of us and we all agree that this place is wonderful. We have been to many shore towns and motels but this has been the best experience. The rooms are very clean, the pool area is wonderful and the people have been very nice. We will come here again. Great views, great sunsets and great weather,

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Car M
Reviewed 19 September 2011

We have been going to Mt. Vernon during September for years....we have never been disappointed with the cleanliness of the motel and we have never experienced a musty odor! The location is fantastic!! Walk across the street to the beach, beautiful views from the second floor!! Also, beautiful flowers! The pool is always clean and plenty of loungers and other outside furniture around. The kitchenette is well stocked....we have always had plenty of towels....the front desk help has always been lovely.
The only thing to keep in mind is that this is a small, older, family owned motel, not a chain, but if you want a decent price and a clean motel, this is the place!

Room Tip: Go for an upstairs room.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank Michele M
Reviewed 1 September 2011

Very nice motel. Clean and comfortable. Location fantastic. Beach right across from motel and the end of the beach around the corner...great views of sunset. Would stay with family again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank davetHarrison
Reviewed 25 August 2011

We stayed here for only 4 nights thank goodness. We stayed here because the place advertised new mattresses and renovated bathrooms. The mattresses provided zero support. Our backs were aching every morning. The owner must have gottena deal on "el cheapo" mattresses. But even worse was the MUSTY odor we had to endure the entire time we were in the room. Our safe haven was the balcony OUTSIDE of the room. We were on the 2nd floor. The view of the ocean was perfect. The pool was nice but the lounge chairs were very uncomfortable. The rooms were totally outdated. All of our clothes and belongings picked up the aweful musty odor. This place is not worth what they are charging, I would do my research and stay in more updated room without the MUSTY odor. We toured the Montreal Inn, it is a bit more money but Fabulous.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Deanna P
Reviewed 14 August 2011

We were only in Cape May for 1 night and liked the location of this motel. That's the only good thing I can say about it. Right after checking in, I went to use the pool and found it padlocked. When I asked at the front desk, I was told that there had been an "accident" in the pool and it had to be shocked. I know this stuff happens. I asked if I could get a discount, since I was only there for 1 night and it cost $250. The woman rudely asked me if I knew what this was costing them and what it was doing to them!! Huh?!

The room was probably updated sometime in the eighties. The redone bathroom had a pedestal sink, which leaves no room to put anything. After the smell of bug spray wore off, there was a distinct urine odor coming from the carpet. Couldn't wait to leave!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple