“A fabulous weekend at the Inn”
Review of Inn of Cape May

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cape May
Inn of Cape May
Ranked #31 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
Staten Island, New York
“A fabulous weekend at the Inn”
Reviewed 16 October 2011

I loved the inn.
I thought itwas charming.
The restaurantis charming aswell.
My complaints are regarding the staff in the reception area.
This long haired blond woman was very rude overall.
When I summoned her overto one glass counters to buy a small gift she seemed bothered.
She said" Which dust collector do you want?
This is not a way to increase sales orto encourage someone to buy something.
In an establishment such asyours, I not employ someone likethat.
( I hope sheis not a family member!!!)

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 16 October 2011

We have stayed at the Inn of Cape May many times over the 32 years we have been married it is our anniversary place to go. My family has homes in north cape may and sea isle but my wife and I still enjoy our get away at the Inn. we have had ocean views and city views stayed on every flooor and you can not have a better time than what we get there every year for the last 30 years. from the regestration desk to the bar tenders and the room staff always a smile

Room Tip: we prefer ocean view
  • Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Patrick L
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 29 September 2011

We have been coming to the Inn of Cape May for several years and have never been disappointed. The rooms are clean and cozy enough to spend time in. There are numerous little nooks and crannies both inside and out to sit and read or have a drink. The restaurant, Aletheas, is the best kept secret!!! The early bird specials are fabulous gourmet meals, not your hum drum meat loaf or fried fish, and come with a glass of wine and dessert! You will not leave hungry!!! Add on free parking ,so you can come and go, a friendly, courteous staff and beachfront location...well, what more can you ask!!! Check it out, you won't regret it!!! Get the package with Inn money and you practically eat free! Breakfast is included and filling enough so you can skip lunch. Walk off your calories while climbing the steps to your room but there is an elevator if the climb is too much, This is an old hotel in the style of Victorianna so don't come here if you like modern, sterile Holiday Inn type accomodations. That is not what Cape May is about.

Room Tip: City side corners have a view of the ocean. Older visitors may want a room on a lower floor as the s...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Marion M
White Plains, New York
Reviewed 16 September 2011

It is unfortunate that this historic buidling is not kept up the way it should be. The carpets are thread bare, the decor in the hallways do not look like antiques but rather garage sale junk. The two room suite that we were offered was something out of a horror movie. When we walked into the room we (husband, two teenage children and myself) immediately smelled a foul, pungent odor. My daughter said "ewwww it smells like bad armpits"...and that was pretty accurate. It was horrid and turning on the ceiling fan and ac did nothing to abate it. The carpet in the room had a burn mark of an iron right in the center of the room...the carpet is about the cheapest i have ever seen.....the iron mark was like the icing on the cake. We were supposed to stay there for 5 nights but making it through the first night was torture enough...we couldnt wait to get out of there. The ceiling fan made a clickety clack sound which was almost ok compared to the sound of the ac kicking in every 20minutes...it sounded like a 747 aircraft taking off...every 20 minutes...all thru the nite.......sleep was not an option. of the two rooms, one had a king size bed, which right above was a drop ceiling with an airvent just a few feet from your face as you lay down...the vent had all water stain marks surrounding it in brown...lovely....and what made it even worse was if you looked at the slats in the vents you had a lovely view of caked up dirt/dust....has anyone ever cleaned out these vents???? The two rooms were separated by the bathroom that did not have a sink. The toilet had no pressure...so good luck using it! I cant say enough bad things about this place. Maybe other rooms that are renovated are nicer...BUT STAY AWAY FROM THIS ONE!!!!!!!!! We stayed one night and couldnt wait to RUN from this place!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
7 Thank tree1559

Travellers are raving about these Cape May hotels

Sammy0314
Reviewed 6 September 2011

On the whole, the staff wea very nice, especially in the dining room. However, the rooms were too small for 2 adults and 2 children. The bathroom had a small shower stall and if the shower door was open it would hit into the bathroom door. Also, the locks on the door did not make me feel secure.

The worst part of the experience is the pool lady. IF yoy have small children DO NOT stay a this hotel. She is mean and gossips. I do not think she likes children ) After she comes over to literally "scream " at the children (this is after the children's parents had already corrected them), she then walks around ant tells all the other guest what happend. She is just NASTY. Rumor is the Inn of Cape May and the hotel next door share the pool. The {Prison Gaurd pool lady is just ride. Dhe had nerve to tell my famyly, "I know what kind of people you are!)

Thank you for listening!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Medtar00
Waldorf, Maryland
Reviewed 30 August 2011

My husband and I spent a few days the first week of August at the Inn of Cape May and loved it. If you are looking for a turn of the century inn with lots of character and uniqueness, this is the place for you. The inn is over 100 years old, so if you want modern furnishings, you'd probably be happier elsewhere. Our room had a private bathroom and air conditioning - something you wouldn't expect in a 100 year old place! It is located right across the street from the beach and you can sit on their porch in rocking chairs and watch the ocean. It's location is close to several restaurants and stores. Breakfast is included and they give you a wide selection of choices plus everything was delicious. The staff at both the inn and the restaurant were pleasant and helpful. We enjoyed walking around the neighborhood looking at the hugh selection of Victorian homes. We are definately going to return.

Room Tip: If money is an issue, ask the reservation desk for the small, double bed room which is half the pric...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Middletown, NJ
Reviewed 19 August 2011

My family (Wife, two daughters 12 & 9) spent two nights at the Inn of Cape May in July 2011.

Arrival: Parked in lot across the street from the hotel. Check in was ok – some issues with using a hotel gift certificate along with cash and a credit card to cover the difference. One person at the front desk didn’t know what to do. Front desk staff was not the most friendly I have encountered. No offer to assist with luggage (not that we had much) nor did I see anyone available to help.

Room: We had a two room suite on the 3rd floor just off the staircase. One room had a queen bed and the other room had two twins. The rooms were connected via a door and a large shared bathroom. There was a wicker chair and wicker dressers in each room as well as two small older TVs. Our room also had a sink. Everything in the room seemed worn and old.

Since this is a VERY old hotel, the duct work for the AC was added along the way – so if you are tall, watch your head in places.

While my kids had no problem with their beds, I couldn’t stand mine. As other reviewers have pointed out, the beds are encased in plastic which makes noise every time you move. Besides the plastic, the bed just wasn’t comfortable.

The nicest part of the suite was the bathroom. It was large, clean and had a nice shower. However the towels were industrial grade (like the kind you might take to the gym). Matter a fact; I am quite sure I saw these towels in bulk at Costco.

Pools: They share an outdoor pool with the hotel next door. It was nice enough, a bit small and can get crowded. As mentioned in another review, the pool closes at 6:30pm! That is unacceptable.

Restaurants: You receive a coupon good for $11 for breakfast at their onsite restaurant. The food was excellent. The first morning we went over our $11 allowance and weren’t charged extra. The second morning we were. We only had breakfast there, so not sure how lunch/dinner was – but the restaurant never seemed crowded for those meals.

Checkout: Again, not the friendliest staff.

Misc:

The hotel is like a museum – except you can purchase just about everything on display, which I thought was a bit tacky.

Every room in the hotel is different, so unless you know what room you specifically want (based on a recommendation or previous stay) and what kind of view, it is the luck of the draw as to what your room will look like.

There is one small elevator (one person + elevator operator). Don’t expect to use this on a regular basis. We used the stairs exclusively.

The hotel has a nice wrap around porch - Nice to sit out at night.

The hotel is right across the street from the beach which was convenient.

Closing:

I will admit I am a hotel snob. I used to travel for business frequently, and my preference is a Hyatt, Marriott, or some of the nicer Holiday Inns (especially the recently refurbished ones).

The hotel has a lot of potential if someone would buy it, close it for a year, and renovate it. For the price per night, I expected a WHOLE lot more.

There are more modern hotels in Cape May, including one or two that I believe just opened up this season. We will be checking those out next time.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family