“so disappointed !”
Review of Inn of Cape May

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cape May
Inn of Cape May
Ranked #31 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
coventry, uk
“so disappointed !”
Reviewed 20 October 2008

Whilst on vacation from the UK my wife and I planned a few days in Cape May. We chose the Inn of Cape May from the internet, the webpage made it look very inviting. How wrong can you be? When we were shown to the room we could not believe our eyes. Everything about the room was cheap and nasty, and I mean cheap! The furniture , the carpet, the bedding ,the bathroom ,the curtains, the futon/sofa were all apalling, but , worst of all were the two iron marks on the carpet right next to the bed. The iron shapes were perfect even down to the steam holes.
We expressed our disappointment to the reception staff, who explained that the hotel was 110 years old so we were not going to get modern. I accept that one should not expect modern but one can surely expect a reasonable level of quality. It is such a shame as the exterior of the hotel is so delightful. We decided not to stay and were fortunately able to get accomodation a short distance away at the Le Mar which was excellent.
To their credit, and I do thank them, the Inn of Cape May did give us a full refund.

• Disliked — Standard of room
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
philadelphia
Reviewed 6 October 2008

This hotel is not a place where you will find modern luxuries but you find find charm and uniqueness. My daughter and I have stayed here for a girls weekend away the past two years in October. If you can appreicate Victorian architecture at a fair price this may be the place for you. The hotel is old but I do not find it dirty. There is alot of wear and tear thoughout the hotel but overall I find it charming. Both of my rooms have been clean when I have stayed here. I had free breakfast included in the price as well as hotel money that can be used at the gift shop, food establishment and bar during your stay. I think this place is a good deal if you're looking for a reasonable stay in Cape May!

• Liked — The fact that it is historical and victorian
  • Disliked — lunch
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with family
PA
Reviewed 30 September 2008

This is the 3rd time my husband and I stayed here and we always have a great time. The location is great and the packages are excellent. We went for a weekend for our anniversary and were given both days' breakfast free at the restaurant onsite, which is delicious. We also got a $100 voucher, which you can use at the restaurant or bar, or to buy one of the antiques in the lobby. The rooms are OK, but they are always clean; I don't know why other people said they are dirty, because trust me, I am very obsessive about the cleanliness of our hotel rooms. What makes it fun also is that I think it's haunted. ;-)
We love it so much that we even bought my parents a stay there a few Christmases ago and now that's what they ask for every year.
Walking distance to shops and fun bars/restaurants, like Cabana's and Carney's.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — walking up 4 flights; you have to call front desk for elevator service
Glen Ridge, NJ
Reviewed 30 September 2008

My husband and I have stayed at the Inn several times off season and have considered it a great deal. I admit that I wouldn't be happy paying $400 for any room at the Inn. OK, so it's not the Queen Victoria; the rooms are not plush, very basic but clean; mattresses and decor could be updated, but the off-season prices, especially with the "Inn Bucks" credits toward the bar, restaurant and Antique shop make it the best deal in a very expensive town. If you don't look into the "Inn Bucks", you're missing a great bargain. The Inn has the absolute best porch in Cape May with beautiful ocean views; it's right across the street from the beach. The free parking is easily accessible and also right across the street. The included breakfast is served on the lovely porch and is fresh, delicious and generous. The Inn has a place in history; the Duchess of Windsor , a Jersey girl, had her coming out party there. So people, stay away from the Inn at Cape May; it will make it easier for me to get a reservation whenever I want.

• Liked — Price and charm
  • Disliked — small space
1 Thank Judyann A
Fairfield, New Jersey
Reviewed 19 September 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed at The Inn of Cape May from Fri. Sept. 12, 2008- Sun. Sept.14, 2008. The weekend vacation was for his grandparent's 60th Anniversary. The rest of the family stayed at The Sea Crest Inn and Coachman's Inn. My boyfreind booked this hotel a week before we went down. The first day, as you can see by my pics, was cloudy and stormy. We were able to check into our rooms earlier and had free parking across street. Our room, which was facing the front of hotel on Ocean St. and we could see the beach from our windows. The hotel had an antique shop once you came inside. It also has a popular restaurant Althea's where we recieved 2 comp breakfast. We used one on our last day. It was good). Being that we were so busy with the rest of the family, we hardly got use of the hotel. But we always saw people at the bar, in the restaurant, in the courtyard, and of course in a rocking chair on the porch drinking a glass of wine. We are also in our late 20's/early 30's that after we spent time with family, we went out to local bars. Just a block up, is Cabana's, Martini Beach Bar,and Carley's all in one strip. We stayed out until bars closed and walked back to hotel at 2 am, where a security guard was always sitting in the entrance.
Our room was clean , people were nice, and history was visited.

• Liked — Lots of History
  • Disliked — Room Layout
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
harleysville, pa
Reviewed 19 August 2008

We planned to stay of five days, instead we spent two days in room 2 on the second floor and come home to bathe and steam clean the entire contents of our mini-van due a bed bug infestation. Intead of a vacation, I got a stay-cation! Please stay away from this one!

Also note: it was very loud and and did closet sized european style bathroom with no lighting (perhaps to hide the pests contained in it).

• Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank drmsHarleysville_Pa

Travellers are raving about these Cape May hotels

New York
Reviewed 28 July 2008

My husband and I just returned from a 2 night visit with our 2 year old. I was so glad to be back hone. After seeing the room which by the way was on the 5th floor. They told us on the phone that there was an elevator but when we got there we were told that you have a call for the elevator. The time that it takes waiting for the elevator we were up the stairs. The room was musty and smelled like an old folks home. The bathroom was very dim and really needed to be refurbished. The matress was covered in plastic and every time you moved in the bed made a crunching sound. I just could not wait to leave. I always liked the Inn at Cape May I have been going there for a long Island Ice Tea at the bar for at least 10 years I never stayed before but thought it would be nice. The only good thing was the kiddie pool was nice and my daughter enjoyed being in it once we got past the general who was guarding the gate to get into the pool. There were way too may restrictions. You do not have a rating that corresponds to our experience because I would rate it as horrible and I would never stay there again. How they could adverise it as a premier ocean front room I don't know at 400.00 a night I feel really cheated. I was even more bugged when we checked out and we were not asked how we enjoyed our stay but they did ask the group right behind us I guess they know who to ask.

• Liked — kiddie pool
  • Disliked — the room
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family