“Not horrible, but not as good as you'd expect”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Inn of Cape May

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cape May
Inn of Cape May
Ranked #31 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
Northern NJ
“Not horrible, but not as good as you'd expect”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2009

The good: the restaurant, the bar, the porch, and the location. Exterior is gorgeous.

The bad: Room was small and a bit dingey, air conditioning was LOUD, front desk staff was extremely surly and loved rolling their eyes. Futon in the room is definitely not meant for 2 people, and although they say they provide cots upon request, you would have thought I was asking for their first-born child.

If you do decide to stay here, I recommend asking for a room on 2nd or 3rd floor. I am in good shape, but the stairs to the 4th floor just about killed me!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank amyk23

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
East Haven, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2009

Stayed in an oceanview room with my daughter for our annual "mother-daughter" Cape May vacation. The location is perfect if you love to be able to see the beach at all times. Yes, the hotel itself is old and you do not get the modern amenities that you would in a high end chain hotel but the quaintness is part of what I Iove about Cape May. The room was clean, the staff was friendly and the food was good (the convenience of the Inn dollars was super). The ambiance was all I could have asked for to make our stay in Cape May perfect. If you want to truly experience a taste of Victorian Cape May this is the place to do it!

• Stayed May 2009
1 Thank SeashoreSeeker
maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2009

If you love Antique excellent escape for two, The beach is directly across from the INN. The services were superb, the initial greeting we received from one particula staff at check in gave us an excellent deal and a beautiful room which was not the initial reservation. she helped in making my husband and i entire stay one to remember. Definately a great place to stay.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
wilmington, de
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2008

My husband and I have stayed at the inn at least 2 times a year for the last 5+years during the off season. We love the location of the inn - ocean views, a block from the shops in town - we also love the terrific food at Alethea's. We've stayed in all types of rooms - city side, ocean front and have enjoyed them. This last time we stayed we noticed extreme wear and tear on the rooms interiors -- wallpaper coming off wall, heaters not working in room, bedding worn, bathroom tiles loose. We would hate to see this lovely inn get worse -- we only hope that the owners will remodel soon and restore the beauty of the inn :-)

• Liked — Location and great restaurant on -site
  • Disliked — Rooms need TLC
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
New Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2008

The lovely hotel exterior belies the most horrible room my wife I have ever stayed in. The peeling wall paper, yard sale reject furniture and overall depressing atmosphere made for a very unhappy and unromantic stay.
It is a shame that the historical architectural gem that this hotel is has been run into the ground like this. I hope that the future of this hotel holds a bones up renovation, if not I feel the wrecking ball can't be far away.

• Liked — Dining
  • Disliked — Room
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Cape May hotels

coventry, uk
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2008

Whilst on vacation from the UK my wife and I planned a few days in Cape May. We chose the Inn of Cape May from the internet, the webpage made it look very inviting. How wrong can you be? When we were shown to the room we could not believe our eyes. Everything about the room was cheap and nasty, and I mean cheap! The furniture , the carpet, the bedding ,the bathroom ,the curtains, the futon/sofa were all apalling, but , worst of all were the two iron marks on the carpet right next to the bed. The iron shapes were perfect even down to the steam holes.
We expressed our disappointment to the reception staff, who explained that the hotel was 110 years old so we were not going to get modern. I accept that one should not expect modern but one can surely expect a reasonable level of quality. It is such a shame as the exterior of the hotel is so delightful. We decided not to stay and were fortunately able to get accomodation a short distance away at the Le Mar which was excellent.
To their credit, and I do thank them, the Inn of Cape May did give us a full refund.

• Disliked — Standard of room
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
philadelphia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2008

This hotel is not a place where you will find modern luxuries but you find find charm and uniqueness. My daughter and I have stayed here for a girls weekend away the past two years in October. If you can appreicate Victorian architecture at a fair price this may be the place for you. The hotel is old but I do not find it dirty. There is alot of wear and tear thoughout the hotel but overall I find it charming. Both of my rooms have been clean when I have stayed here. I had free breakfast included in the price as well as hotel money that can be used at the gift shop, food establishment and bar during your stay. I think this place is a good deal if you're looking for a reasonable stay in Cape May!

• Liked — The fact that it is historical and victorian
  • Disliked — lunch
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with family