“Home Away from Home in Cape May”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Cooper's Guest House
Ranked #34 of 40 Cape May B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 August 2011

Sylvia is a wonderful host and made our stay like being with family. Cooper's is located in the center of the historic section and just 2 blocks from the beach. Every year, Sylvia makes an improvement to make Coopers a lttle nicer and a little more confortable. Cooper's Guset House offers great location with comfortable accomodations and a aring host.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 10 July 2011

If you are looking for a clean place to stay, near the beach, this is a great choice. This location puts you walking distance to the prime beach, shopping and dining areas. It is one and a half blocks in from the beach, and on the North end of the Beach Ave. strip of restaurants and shops.

Comes with a locked garage for your bike, beach chairs, etc., and limited parking. Once you are there, you just don't need a car for much if at all, and the Owner/Manager will find you a place to park either on property, or street parking right by the house. I needed to use my car and found a space less than a block away when I came back, so it wasn't a problem.

There's a porch out front which gives you a place to hang out of the sun, but there are no other common areas. Coffee and tea are served in the morning.

Rooms were clean and a decent size, they vary, so choose carefully. There is no TV, which did not bother me, and no WiFi or phone. I had a private bathroom (some are shared), and it was clean and on the large size. Shared bathrooms were cleaned daily as was my room.

Room was a little on the spartan side, but clean and well-maintained. Bed was firm, but not hard, very comfortable. In-room heating and AC was very modern, excellent quality, working quickly to cool the room and while not silent, on the quieter side. Large windows let in the ocean breeze if you are so inclined. You either have access to a shared refrigerator or a small one in your room (the one in my room was considerably LARGER than the cube-sized dorm refrigerators one can find in cheap hotels).

The owner/manager was somewhat matter of fact, clearly doing a lot of the work herself.

If you are looking for a charming, hosted, B&B type experience, this isn't the place for you.

If you are looking for an excellent value, clean, well-maintained, great location, walking distance to everything, then I highly recommend Cooper's Guest House.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Drewho
Reviewed 10 March 2011

My family and I have been going to Cooper's since the early 90s. The owners, Emily and Sylvia are just wonderful. Tea is offered in the morning, if you like, and the hotel is clean and quiet when we're there every year in the Spring. It's close to the beach and the Washington Mall area. I love to sit on the porch in the afternoon and people watch. There are no TVs, but if you don't mind that, I would highly recommend it. Five Stars, in our opinion!

Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
4  Thank Eggs59
Reviewed 7 March 2011

Cooper's Guest House offers excellent service, clean, airy rooms that are bright and cheerful as well as a pleasant front porch where you can relax in the ocean breeze. Located a short block and a half from the ocean and just a few blocks from the shopping district, you are within walking distance to everything including wonderful restaurants. It is the perfect sea-side guest house, and you will want your stay to go on forever.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
5  Thank SusaninNY
Reviewed 9 September 2007

My wife and I have stayed at Cooper's on two occasions - and enjoyed every minute of our time. The accommodations are simple- you really get the beach house feel. It is quite a "throw back" to a simpler time, but this just adds to the ambiance.

If you are looking for 300 thread count sheets, elegant fixtures, or afternoon tea, you will find many better options in Cape May. But, if you want a clean room that is a short walk from the beach, promenade and mall, you can't beat Cooper's!

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
7  Thank Spidey03
Reviewed 21 August 2007

Cape May is filled with beautiful bed and breakfasts and quaint non-chain hotels/motels, but none of them would ever be categorized as "affordable" during the summer months. It's hard to argue with the location and price of the Cooper's Guest House. Cooper's Guest House offers ultra clean, quiet, simple lodging for the best price that you will ever find in Cape May. It's a no-frills, no-fuss kind of place. The coffee is great (brewed by Emily Cooper, the owner since 1962) and the porch serves as a great place to sit and read or people watch, all while enjoying the gentle ocean breeze, since you're only two blocks away from the beach. The only amenity that could be considered as lacking is that there are no televisions in the guest rooms, but then again, if you came all the way to Cape May to watch tv, then you don't know what you're missing.

Stayed: August 2007
1  Thank njtx71
A TripAdvisor Member
Wilmington, DE
Reviewed 13 September 2005

I had never stayed at a B&B before & knowing that this guest house was a little "below" that, I was a bit leery. However, I needed a place to stay for just a Fri. nite & it was just me staying over, so I figured this would work. The little Irish woman who runs the place is very matronly. & I have to admit I felt like I had to "check in" with my grandmother! (not necessarily a bad thing! HA! Just unexpected.) I was assigned to Room 0, which meant that I had a full size bed & shared a bathroom. Again, no big deal for me. The room itself was small, but very comfortable. I was actually surprised how comfortable the bed was! Absolutely loved the 2 windows I had (it is a corner room)...I went to sleep w/both windows open & could hear the waves crashing (you're just 2 blocks from the ocean!)...& was pleasantly surprised to wake up to the same. The bathroom I shared wasn't much to brag about, but wasn't awful either. It was all clean. Clean linens were provided. Clawfoot tub with shower curtain surround. Good water pressure, which is important to me. Didn't have any of the coffee or tea that was offered the next morning, but I did LOVE sitting out on the front porch, rocking, reading, & watching the passersby. I would definitely go back again....for a 1 or 2 night stay if I have to do the small room. I should have checked out the larger rooms that have private baths. If you go, tell Mrs. Cooper that Rev. Taya said "hi"!

• Stayed: September 2005, travelled on business