“McCormick Salt Grinder on a Linen Tablecloth?”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Frescos Ristorante

Frescos Ristorante
Ranked #59 of 136 Restaurants in Cape May
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Lafayette
Description: In the heart of the Historic District, Frescos occupies an 1880 Victorian cottage. On the candlelit veranda, or in the coolness of the Mediteranean inspired dining rooms, you imagine yourself at a small trattoria in Tuscany, or sampling the finest of local seafood at a Mediterranean cafe. From the seafood and homemade pastas of the South to the elegant sauces, meats, and veal of the North, Frescos is a culinary adventure tour of Italy. Frescos' award-winning young Chef Joseph Badger takes as his palette the incredible variety of fresh local seafood, and bountiful local produce, bringing a richness and creativity to the menu-- a dazzling display of shrimp, lobster, seafoods and pastas, and desserts that make guests exclaim with delight. One of ZAGAT'S "Top Italian Restaurants in America," and Voted "Best Italian Restaurant in Southern New Jersey 2012," by NJ Monthly.
Gibsonia, Pa, United States
“McCormick Salt Grinder on a Linen Tablecloth?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

We took my sister-in-law and her husband to this restaurant for their anniversary. We had to wait 25 minutes past our reservation time for the table. Well, OK, they said they had had several large parties and were backed up. Then a gentleman came to the table to uncork wine, and explain the specials, along with saying our waitress was coming soon from the upstairs where she was finishing up...... hmmm. And so on, the service was not good, and it seemed the young help was not properly trained for this type of restaurant. The food was OK, but not great. Finally, we asked for some salt and pepper for the oil for the bread and were presented with a McCormick salt grinder and the one large pepper mill....left on the table. Really? Sadly, not the best dining experience I have had in Cape May.

• Visited June 2014

Gambrills, Maryland
“Another great meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

Dined here last week while vacationing in CM - one of our favorite spots. Service is always friendly and attentive - food is excellent, from Northern Italian classics to very fresh seafood dishes - and the place offers local Cape May wines or you can BYO. We've been coming here for years and have never been disappointed. Reservations are recommended, especially in the summer months.

• Visited June 2014
Silver Spring, Maryland
“Delightful Find in Old Cape May”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

Frescos was a great find. Wonderful food and service paired with local wines. Our waitress, Lisa, was very knowledgeable of the menu and the wine. We will definitely return but will first try the sister restaurant located next store. The atmosphere is charming too.

Howell, New Jersey
“Wow! Great Dinner-Great Service!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

My husband and I ate here on the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend. Our server was Shannon and she was delightful! I had veal that was fabulous! Everyone was so attentive from the host, to the waitress and bus boy. The restaurant is a BYOB but does offer a few selections from a local winery. Overall, no complaints - a great dining experience. Check out their sister restaurant which is right next door 610 BANK sT.

Visited May 2014
South Windsor, Connecticut
“A Perplexing Experience....”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

My wife and I visited this restaurant twice during our recent visit to Cape May.

On the first night, we were desiring a light meal due to a late day lunch. My wife selected a salad and a side of beans, while I had the baked crabmeat/pasta appetizer. Both of us were quite pleased with our choices and we decided to return for a dinner. Everything was nicely done; the side dish of beans is more than adequate for 2 or more. Even my crab appetizer can be easily split if one was ordering a full meal. Service was professional and pleasant. Check was reasonable.

We returned 3 nights later, and this time ordered dinner entrees only since we were aware of the large appetizer portions. My wife ordered the pasta with grilled vegetables, while I had the veal saltimbocca. Surprisingly, her dish was somewhat heavy on the pasta and a bit skimpy with the vegetables. However, the abundance of root vegetables and cauliflower I received with my entree allowed us to share to our satisfaction. My veal was a chop, pounded thin and served traditionally. It was a different style than I ever had. I enjoyed it, but am not sure if I would order it that way again. There were other appealing items on the menu. Desserts were good, not great, but their prices reflected great, and so were a bit disappointing.

Staff was friendly and professional, and there is no charge if you BYOB.

I found this restaurant perplexing: not sure if its overpriced for its fare or not. I would go back, however, I would be very particular about what I ordered. I think you can find good value, or be disappointed. Both are available.

• Visited May 2014