“Pretty hotel Poor service”
Review of Ocean Club Hotel

and 1 more site!
Ocean Club Hotel
Ranked #18 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
GreenLeadersSilver level
Spring City, Pennsylvania
“Pretty hotel Poor service”
Reviewed 29 December 2011

I would like to start by saying we have been coming to Cape May to this hotel for 15 yrs. Formaly the altas hotel. the room is nice the hotel was totaly renovated for the most part.we were pleased with the room,, but the service was poor had to beg for room service and took 6 hrs to get extra towels the next day..the cost was not worth it!... sneaky to beware of extra charges 2 days later on your card..were were acused of things we did not do. I called my credit card company they refunded me that money but it was a pain.. We will not go Again!!!!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank flyers5513
OCM_Management_Team, Ocean Club Hotel Management at Ocean Club Hotel, responded to this review, 1 January 2012
Thank you for your review. We regretfully disagree with some of your comments and would like to address them here.

The extra charges you reference are legitimate. You smoked in your room. We received numerous complaints from your neighbors which alerted us to the smell, and we were able to verify that the smell was indeed coming from your room both prior to your departure and afterward. There were also cigarette holes left in the blanket in your room which were not there prior to your arrival.

As a result of your stay we were forced to hire a company to address the lingering cigarette smell in the room and the damaged blanket had to be replaced. We provided you with photos of the blanket at the time we charged your card and can re-forward them to you should you wish to review them again.

Please note that we have no record of your funds being refunded to or by your credit card company.

The front desk keeps a log of all guest requests, and I did not see your request for towels listed in the log. If you requested the towels and did not receive them in a timely fashion then please accept our sincere apologies for same.

We hope that you continue to enjoy Cape May in the coming years, but please be advised that most hotels in town, if not all, do not allow smoking in the guest rooms.

Best regards,
Ocean Club Hotel Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed 5 December 2011

I recently stayed at this hotel and was greeted by a very cool, clean and modern hotel. That being said, I do have a couple of things that I would like to point out, good and not-so-good. First off, the beds are INCREDIBLE! I have never stayed anywhere where the beds were this wonderful! Now, the not-so-good and really my only complaint....the shower. My guess is the hotel was looking to do an Oriental / Zen / Spa type of thing; however, I come from a time and place where shower doors and/or curtains provide a purpose! There is only one glass panel on the shower and it only covers half of the stall. Therefore, you're not only exposed and feeling a draft, but there is great propensity for water to get everywhere. There is only one shelf in the stall, as well. I know, I know - if this is my only complaint, then that's not so bad - and you know? It IS a great hotel; BUT, sometimes all of the ocean views and comfy beds can't make up for some things....and this was an important thing for me. Is it a deal-breaker? Of course not! I'll be back, but I would hope that current Management takes the suggestion of a shower door or curtain under advisement.

Room Tip: All rooms are ocean front, so you can't miss!
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
6 Thank RealPegster
Purchase, New York
Reviewed 28 November 2011

Finally, a luxurious hotel in Cape May. Beautifully appointed rooms and bathrooms, top of the line linens and bath prooducts......Unbeatable location with friendly and efficient beach service for food, drinks, towels, umbrellas and chairs! It doesn't disapppoint!!!

Room Tip: get a room on the sundeck level where you'll have your own private outdoor patio
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
6 Thank carlajeanne60
Malvern, PA
Reviewed 10 November 2011

My wife and I stayed at this hotel right after the Hurricane hit and we had low expections for our trip...to our pleasant surprise the hotel picked up as if nothing had happened. The experience, our room and customer service were all excellent. The outdoor bar, pool area and lobby were all perfect with the resturant being great for breakfast. Cape May is beautiful all by itself and to add a luxury style hotel to an area that is all Victorians is a nice change of pace if that is what you are looking for, the Ocean Club fits this bill.

Room Tip: All Rooms are two room suites...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank jimmy444
Elburn IL
Reviewed 7 November 2011

In town for a wedding, and the Ocean Club was a great place to stay. The beachfront location, friendly staff and spanking new beds and rooms really made the experience a good one. Because it was November, we were able to ignore the heat/ac and leave the doors open for the ocean breeze. It was divine and we would stay there again in a heartbeat.

Thanks to Melissa for a warm welcome when we arrived.

Room Tip: Get the beachfront.....well worth the upcharge.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Dnicoletto
Manalapan, New Jersey
Reviewed 30 October 2011

We stayed for 4 nights this summer. The hotel is very nice, rooms slightly above avg. The staff for the most part tried to be very attentive and nice, but the management clearly was not. It was obvious that this hotel rushed opening after the renovation/conversion. We had to change rooms once, and then had engineers come look at the 2nd room. They did not offer any accomodation and were actually rude about the whole situation. They allowed guests to "reserve" lounges ealy in the morning for the entire day - whether they were there or at the beach for hours! We did not eat at their restaurant... but ate finger food poolside (from their restaurant) and it was very good. Might give them another chance again, but then again, due to the lack of service from management - probably not.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank Sheetboy
Langhorne, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 18 October 2011

My husband and I spent our 15th wedding anniversary here the weekend they opened. We were called the week before and were told they wouldn't be ready for our Thursday check in but by Friday they would be ready. They put us up at their sister hotel on Thursday night, on the house. On Friday morning when we went to check in they were not ready. The place looked like it wouldn't be ready for quite some time. Rita hooked us up with a room to get changed to go to the beach and upgraded our room for our inconvience. When we came back at 3:00 it was like Restaurant Impossible. The place was amazing and all of the staff was in place and ready to go. Every staff member was extremely accomodating, friendly, and went out of their way to make our experience unforgettable. Chef Lu was amazing. I felt bad because his kitchen wasn't ready yet, but he put a spread on of sandwich's and picky foods. Even his sandwich's are to die for. I can't wait to go back and try out his restaurant. I checked out his menu online an it looks amazing. I will definitely be back and have recommended this hotel to many of my family and friends.

Room Tip: Ocean front rooms are amazing. The view of the water is spectacular.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple