“This could be a great place if they could just get it together”
Review of Ocean Club Hotel

and 1 more site!
Ocean Club Hotel
Ranked #18 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
GreenLeadersSilver level
Brewster, New York
“This could be a great place if they could just get it together”
Reviewed 5 August 2012

We went to Ocean club to celebrate my sisters 50th birthday - a girls getaway celebration vacation. I vacation in Cape May often, and looked forward to trying this newly renovated property. The rooms are quite nice and spacious. The view from an ocean view balcony room - most of the time – fabulous! The staff around the hotel - bell hop, pool , and pool side waitresses -excellent. However, they missed the mark in a few area’s. First off there is only one elevator for the entire hotel. This is just ridiculous in a place this size !!! There are many places in the walkway to the rooms where there is either an unexpected step up, or a steep incline. When you enter the room, and to get to the balcony there is a “step over”. Also, the entry door has a HUGE gap under it – making the air conditioning ineffective unless you block the gap. And, there were signs posted on how to get to the sun deck that were incorrect. Just seemed very loose ended on the renovations.
Oddly, even though the Sea Salt and Tiki Bar are attached to The Ocean Club, there is no room service. The Tiki bar poolside was a bit pricey but totally worth it – again the wait and pool staff are amazing. Food and drink were up to par, really nice festive relaxing atmosphere. The Sea Salt serves a nice, but pricey breakfast, but skip dinner - disappointing. Might be nice to hang out at the bar, very attractive setting. When I asked at the front desk if the restaurant was open for lunch they said yes – I went in and the hostess informed me they were closed –
The worst part of the trip was our last day there, apparently the hotel was hosting a wedding and they erected a tent over the second floor sundeck – this tent blocked a third of our ocean view. An Ocean view room is more money . We were not advised of this, and being a Friday it was the most expensive night of our stay. At checkout I complained and asked for a discount on our last night stay as it was over $100 more for a Friday night. After having a discussion with one of the managers for almost an hour – she would not give me any money off and said it did not matter as I still could see the ocean if I looked straight ahead and to the left ...
My overall impression is they need to get it together – improve the finish work from the renovation, put in another elevator, provide room service from the restaraunt, and have the front desk staff better informed and more customer service oriented. I might give this place another try – I think with some improvement it could be THE place to stay in Cape May …

Room Tip: when making a reservation inquire if there will be any events on the 2nd floor sun deck during your...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
10 Thank bewebups

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
North Cape May, New Jersey
Reviewed 2 August 2012

than never! :o) I am a lifelong resident of Cape May, and yet I've never had a chance to stay at one of the local hotels. Sure, I've visited a few, and I know the reputations of most, but to actually stay in one and get the whole traveler experience just never happened, until this spring. The Ocean Club was offering a room/ticket package for a Johnny Winter concert, and I saw this as a great opportunity for a weekend getaway with my husband. And what a great time we had! The concert was excellent, the staff friendly and accommodating, and the food delicious! The Ocean Club lends a relaxing European air to the Jersey shore, which helped this local feel like I was really on a vacation. We found our room to be clean and spacious with a wonderful view of the ocean. Sitting on the balcony in the morning, sipping my coffee as I gazed out over a familiar sea but from a new height, was a true delight! I would definitely stay again! Nicest surprise: The beds - so comfy! Only complaint: The coffee - very pricey! But also very delicious, as the 6+ cups I drank will attest to.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Deirdre L
Sharon
Reviewed 1 August 2012

My husband and I along with our two children just returned after a four night stay at The Ocean Club Hotel. First of all, let me say from what I could see this is definitely the nicest hotel in Cape May. After reading several reviews before booking, I had high expectations for my stay at this resort. I am a traveler willing to pay for high quality service, but with that price comes a very high expectation on my part. Our overall stay was very enjoyable. We were greeted at the front desk and check-in went smoothly. Our room was very spacious...and the decor was very modern. The beds were very comfortable and we had a nice balcony overlooking the ocean. The bathroom is quite small although very clean. If two people want to be in there at the same time...it makes it very challenging. The bathroom was very clean, but everytime you turn the light on the fan turns on and it's very loud (definitely annoyed me). I was worried about the air-conditioning as I read numerous issues other guests experienced. Our air-conditioning worked fine, however late at night every so often I would be awakened by a very loud bang (which was the air-conditioning). I don't have problems falling back to sleep and my husband and children are not light sleepers so this didn't really effect us, however if you are a light sleeper you might be bothered by this. The pool is fabulous and very clean. The pool attendants are helpful and provide towels, umbrellas etc. The waitresses around the pool are great, they are friendly and attentive to your needs. Our drinks were promptly delivered with a smile. We order food at the pool, sliders and salads and both were excellent and well prepared. We also dined at Sea Salt for breakfast and I ordered the Eggs Benedict which were good, but not great, my husband got an Baked Egg with Spinach and Goat Cheese and said it was good. My children both ordered pancakes which they referred to as "rubbery" I tasted them and they were ok, but not great. The coffee is excellent however. We also dined at Sea Salt for dinner one night and I was rather disappointed. The service was very slow, the menu options limiting (didn't have the swordfish and they didn't offer any specials). My husband ordered the scallops and was pleased with both the presentation and taste, my daughter ordered the Baked Chicken and said it was good, I ordered the sliders because nothing else on the menu appealed to me (I wanted the swordfish) they were very dry unlike what my daughter got early that day for lunch. They were very well done to the point of completely dry, needless to say I didn't finish them. My son ordered the barbecue ribs and they were VERY spicy. He ate one and complained his month was on fire and left the rest on the plate untouched. My husband tasted his ribs and told me they were way too spicy. I told the waitress and she said that BBQ means "spicy" rather than offer to give him something else or remove it from the bill, she opted to debate it with us. I was not impressed. I didn't ask to remove them from the bill because at a upscale hotel they do that automatically. We waited over 10 minutes for her to deliver the check and then when I indicated we would charge it to the room she said she would be back with yet another bill for us to sign. She was gone another 5-10 minutes only to return with the same bill as the one she had given us previously and looked rather flustered. I noticed she didn't remove the ribs from the check and I chose not to say something, I simply gave a very small tip, I typically tip a minimum of 20% and for the first time in a long time I didn't think the service or food deemed that level of gratuity. Given that experience, we dined elsewhere in Cape May and found a number of fabulous restaurants that exceeded both the quality and service we had at Sea Salt. The next day the kids wanted breakfast on the balcony so I went down for coffee and ordered breakfast pastries. I had to return back to the restaurants as no napkins or utensils were provided (again not a stellar experience). The only thing that really bothered me was that they charge $2 for coffee really? When you pay close to $500 a night they can't offer guests free coffee, just increase your room cost by $5 a day, but it's insulting to go to a high end hotel and have to pay for a simple cup of coffee. Overall the stay was good, but in my opinion not up to five star standards. We had a very good time, but I did expect more from the service and quality of food.

Room Tip: Definitely get an ocean front room.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank Jetsetsun
Bloomington, IL
Reviewed 31 July 2012

We were extremely satisfied with our first time experience to Cape May, NJ. Beautiful beach, no chain restaurants or hotels. Lovely B&B's, shops and restaurants. We stayed at the Ocean Club Hotel. The staff was great. In particular Frank, Sarah and Saranda were extremely helpful in navigating where we should eat, see and do. We also enjoyed Tope at the Tiki Bar. The waitresses in the restaurant and bar were mostly in the US working for the summer and were from Europe. They worked extremely hard and made sure everyone was taken care of. Pay a little extra and get a beautiful view of the ocean from your room. We plan to visit again. A great find for us.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tim H
Hazlet, New Jersey
Reviewed 31 July 2012

This is my second time staying at the Ocean Club. Last year I did a suite with my girlfriends and our daughters, and just this past long weekend, took a deluxe double with my 19 year old. I absolutely love this place. Three things were a standout each time with regard to accommodations. Firstly, THE BEDS. I have never slept in a more delicious bed on any trip, and I have taken many. Second and thirdly, the rooms are immaculately clean and the housekeeping staff is in and out in no time. i have never had to call the desk about a thing on either stay. This year, we spent almost all of our time at the pool because of the changeable weather. John, the pool boy, is beyond amazing and works his tail off. The waitresses are efficient and lovely as well. As far as the Sea Salt, though the food is excellent, I feel the prices are unacceptably exorbitant. We plan to make the Ocean Club a yearly thing.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank carolcmsr30
New Jersey
Reviewed 31 July 2012

This is our second year staying at The Ocean Club and though some of the staff continues to provide outstanding service especially the outdoor pool staff, (John and pool waitresses), the desk staff needs some hospitality training . One woman prides herself on being a principal and someone neglected to provide us with a requested wakeup call. The hotel itself is lovely except for a few glitches such as their airconditioning system which needs a card to work and tiny shelfless bathrooms.

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank LisaFamilyTraveler
pittsburgh
Reviewed 30 July 2012

I booked this hotel 6 months in advance for a special occasion that 6 of us girls were celebrating. After driving 6 hours to our destination we were told they have no rooms to accomadate 6 people when all along thats what the reservation was for. They even had an additional cot on the reservation but said we were not allowed to use it. They told us our only option would be to rent another room for an additional $1600 for the weekend! I can not believe the customer service of this hotel. One clerk told us that we could all pile in the room if we wanted and then lied and said she never said that when we said we would just make it work. In the end the manager agreed to let us stay in the original suite with 6 girls and an extra cot if we paid an additional $40! Well the cot was already paid for on the reservation so at this time it just came down to the principal of things. We got a refund and walked over to the Grand and had a wonderful time in a 2 story town house for $400 cheaper! Be careful when booking this place. As a business owner myself I just can not believe that someone would run a business this way. It was appaling!!!

Room Tip: Double check all reservations
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Jen D
OCM_Management_Team, Ocean Club Hotel Management at Ocean Club Hotel, responded to this review, 31 July 2012
We respectfully disagree with your review and note that the facts of the situation differs significantly from the story you outline.

Please note that you originally booked two rooms with four adults in each room. You called back and cancelled one room. The confirmation sent to you for the remaining room reflected that it was for four adults. When you showed up to check in you had six adults with you and were advised that we do not have guest rooms that can accommodate that number. We had another room available and offered you that room in addition to the room you had already reserved. You declined.

Had you communicated to us that you were cancelling your second room in the hopes of putting six adults into one room, we would have advised you well in advance that we were unable to accommodate your party in the manner.

We are sorry you were dissatisfied with your experience and hope that your future travels are free of such unfortunate miscommunications.