“Great "South Beach" feel”
Review of Ocean Club Hotel

Ocean Club Hotel
Ranked #14 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 27 August 2012

The hotel is nothing like any other property in Cape May... it is totally different than the typical Cape May Victorian Bed and Breakfast. The Poolside Tiki Bar was a huge plus, as was the food service on the beach. Really made us feel like we were "away" on vacation and not just a short drive down the shore. The staff was very accomodating and the rooms were crisp and clean. We had breakfast at the Sea Salt restaurant and lunch by the pool. But for dinners we went to top notch restaurants in town. Great location, just across from the beach. Great accomodations and great food. What more can you ask for. We will definitely be back again.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kelly B

Reviewed 26 August 2012

My family & I just returned from a 4 night stay at the Ocean Club. We heard a lot of wonderful things about it & thought we would give it a try. There were some good things, and some not so good things. First the good. For the most part the staff was wonderful. Dean, in particular, was wonderful. He was friendly and helpful and whenever you saw him he had a smile on his face & ask if we needed anything. He made us feel like we were staying in a 5 star resort. The location of the hotel was great. You could walk to all the restaurants, etc. with ease. Plus, what could be bad about having a pool at your doorstep & then a quick walk to the beach which you could see from your room.
Now the not so good. There were lots of little things. The rooms were just OK. They didn't seem renovated, rather repainted & recarpeted. The rooms were extremely dark. Certainly not enough lighting. The bathroom was teeny. Only one person could be in there at a time. With a family of four, that could be quite difficult. None of us slept for 4 nights because the air conditioning makes a loud bang every time it turns on & off. There is also a fan in the bathroom that runs 24/7 and is very loud. You can't turn it off. The food service was awful. Literally every time we ordered something - whether it be from the restaurant, the pool or the beach - something was wrong. They either forgot something or were out of something or bought 2 of the same item. We ordered from the beach on the first day. When the food came we gave our room # & were told we couldn't charge to our room & had to pay cash. She never told us this before we ordered & since we didn't have cash on us, my husband had to go back to the room to get $. We ordered a drink from the pool bar. It tasted like there was no rum in it so the next time we ordered, we asked the bartender to put an extra shot it. They charged us $8 dollars for it. Add that to the $10 for the drink & I had an $18 pina colada. If you want coffee in the morning, you have to pay $2 for it. When spending $500/night for a room it is almost insulting. All in all I would say it was a decent hotel. While the location of the hotel is perfect, for the services & room quality you get, it is way overpriced. If your expectations aren't that high, you probably won't be disappointed with all of the little annoyances.

4  Thank MindyB285
Reviewed 26 August 2012

Just returned from our 5 day vacation at Ocean Club. Traveled with another family of 4, and booked 2 rooms together using 1 CC so we could be next to or near each other at the very least. I confirmed with them 2 times before arrival, and mentioned my wishes each time. Long story short, we had 2 rooms completely on opposite ends of hotel. Not the end of the world, but certainly not perfect. The rooms were clean, and the beds were nice. The beach on that side of town is much smaller than say near Congress Hall, but clean and nice as well. Beach service was a nice perk, but be warned - they take your chairs away at 5 PM! In August, I consider that the middle of the afternoon on the beach! And having paid $10 for an umbrella each day, it was a bit annoying! Had a fantastic passion fruit martini at the tiki bar one afternoon. And would have to agree with another reviewer that the service at front desk was lacking. Location was good. We mostly walked and rode bikes to everything.

3  Thank stacieharkavy
Reviewed 26 August 2012

The hotel was hip. The front desk staff and bellhops seemed inconveinced by their jobs. The help at the pool, at the beach, and in in the restaurant were excellent.
We ate in the SeaSalt for breakfast and dinner. Both were excellent and the prices were consistent with other restaurants in Cape May.
Our only real complaint was the children. I work with children, we have a 9 year old(he was having Grandparent time while we were in Cape May) so I love kids. But the number of loud rude dirty children at the hotel was not consistent with the price or the sheek decor. I think when you come to a place like this your children should be incredibly well behaved or should be left at home. At one point there were two three year olds and a five year old smearing their ice cream sandwiches all over the coffee table at the pool and then standing on the table in the mess, all the while the mom was at the bar chain smoking and no one seemed to care. Another young girl started squirting my husband with a water pistol getting pool water in our drinks and all of our stuff wet; he ask where her parents were and she said she didn't know. These are just examples of the poorly behaved children. This is unacceptable in a super 8 let alone in a hotel with the prices of the Ocean Club.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 26 August 2012

If you are searching for an extremely family friendly beach hotel and you do not want to pay for airfare (or choose not to fly for whatever reason), this is an outstanding destination. Is it a five star? Absolutely not, but the grounds are four star. It is very nice hotel and I do not to wish to give any other impression. Just 'manage your own expectations.' I need not list the details that differentiate this from a five star as other reviewers already have (ie, loud AC, slow housekeeping etc). Personally, I think this is a great destination from any Northeast/Mid-Atlantic metro area. We came from the NYC area. I would also note, that I did not see a nicer hotel for families --- but one could be there, I just did not see it.

That said, for a family trip to Cape May this is first rate. The pool is great for kids (I literally stood in the deeper end directly adjacent to the shallow end where my youngest of 3 years old played for hours while my older 5 year old swam all around me). The beach staff is great, hotel provided chairs are available and my kids thoroughly enjoyed that as well. The beach is beautiful and literally across the street (no hotels are 'on the beach'). The food at the hotel was excellent as well.

As for Cape May itself -- great, great family destination. The whole town caters to families whether you are in a casual or fine dining restaurant and all the food is great. The town is a total throwback to quaint Americana -- if you like that, great place. If you prefer edgier etc, wrong place. We loved it and would totally do this entire trip again -- hotel included just do not got searching for the One & Only, Four Seasons etc.

Overall, loved my entire family trip.

Room Tip: If you want turn-down service, extra towels, pull out couch prepared for bed or anything from house...
2  Thank FieldingYost
Reviewed 25 August 2012

The renovation attempted to turn an old beachfront motel into a luxury hotel. The rooms are nicely decorated, and the bathrooms are new. They have a nice little restaurant and a tiki bar by the pool, both of which have good food and service. The beach is right across the street, as it is with every Cape May motel.

But underneath, it's still an old beachfront motel. The air conditioning is so noisy, it kept us awake most of the night. Despite the fact that they say no kids on the 6th floor, I kept hearing the brats running through the halls. Anyone talking in the halls sound like they're right in the room with us. The "deluxe penthouse" is still just a small room with rather pedestrian appointments. And the terrace is minuscule - barely room for 2 chairs.

The pool area is ok - nothing special. And not a lot of room. Lounge chairs are only a few feet from the pool, so prepare to be splashed when the brats decide to stop running on the 6th floor and jump in the pool to cool off.

I guess I expected more for close to $500/nite.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank TheDogAteMyHomework
Reviewed 22 August 2012

When we first arrived, we arrived through the back door, closest to the parking lot. The floors were gray cement. That was disappointing because the website didn't mention anything about the cement floors. Next, the elevator was slow, so we just walked up the 3 flights. The front desk was also very inconvenient. They were always having side conversations and eating their lunch. You had to interrupt them in order to ask them a question. The A/C was super loud and kept turning on and off at night. I woke up at least twice a night from the loud noise. Other than that, the pool was amazing! There was poolside service from the TikiTen35 Bar which was very nice. The sliders and chicken fingers were great! Don't be fooled by the website picture. There is a main road separating the pool and the beach. John, the pool manager was very helpful and the waitresses were good, except one morning at breakfast she totally forgot about my orange juice. At the last minute, she remembered. We were also told to stay away from the SeaSalt at dinner. Lastly, the beach guys were very helpful. Overall, my family is planning a trip back next summer!

3  Thank EC1590