“Worthy of 5 Stars” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #16 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Worthy of 5 Stars”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2012

My daughter and I just returned from a week stay at the Ocean Club Hotel in Cape May, New Jersey. I cannot begin to describe how much we enjoyed our room, the staff, the incredibly delicious food at the Sea Salt Restaurant, our view of the ocean (steps from the hotel), or the magical town of Cape May.

Let's start with the hotel; it is breathtaking! The decor is tasteful, and the rooms are spacious. Everything is updated, and the beds are comfortable and luxurious. You truly couldn't ask for more in terms of a great room with a spectacular view!

The staff is polite, helpful, and well trained. They take their job of serving you, and meeting your needs very seriously. I apologize that I don't remember all of their names, but a few deserved to be mentioned. Russ at the front desk is a charmer; there is nothing that he won't do to accommodate the guests. He loves his job, and he is excellent at it. I'm a needy person (or so I've been told), and yet Russ was never bothered by my requests. John at the pool takes care of each guest as though they were family. My daughter and I could barely get a foot out of our door without John being there to hand us a pool towel and ask if we needed anything. The waitresses and bar staff were equally accommodating. They made us feel like royalty!!

The GM, Leo, is a true gem. His personality is perfect for his position. He is kind, helpful, and always around to make sure that the guests are happy. He makes each guest feel welcomed, and he goes out of his way to make sure that everything is perfect at the hotel. I cannot tell you how enjoyable and memorable he made our stay.

The Sea Salt Restaurant serves extraordinary food. Chef Lou makes the most delicious food I have ever eaten!! The crab bisque is to die for (I ate a bowl each night), the smoked trout is the best I have ever had, and the aged ribeye melts in your mouth. My daughter and I ate all but one of our meals at Sea Salt because the food was simply over-the-top delicious. Hats off to Chef Lou; he is the Chef Gordon Ramsey of Cape May (he might even be better than Ramsey)!!!

Treat yourself to a magical vacation by staying at the Ocean Club Hotel; a hotel that is worthy of 5 stars on every level!!

• Stayed August 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2012

The staff was beyond rude. The front desk staff in particular were not only rude, but obnoxious. This was an expensive hotel and you got nothing for the price we paid. We had booked a suite and although I had an emailed confirmation, they told me to my face it was a mistake. I had paid for a suite. They never apologized or tried to rectify the situation. They need some high-end schooling on customer service. I've stayed at the Four Seasons in Hawaii, Ritz Carlton in Grand Cayman and West Palm Beach. I think it would be helpful for the owner to have his staff trained the same way the high-end resorts train their staff. Not once was there a manager on-site. I've never heard of such a thing. Where were they? It really was a disgrace. The only highlight was the housekeeping staff. They were extremely polite. It doesn't make sense that the employees that are paid the least, are the nicest.

Room Tip: Don't stay here! Go to Le Mer or any B&B. It's beyond better than this hotel from hell...
7 Thank Mary S
Cranford, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2012

The hotel is nothing like any other property in Cape May... it is totally different than the typical Cape May Victorian Bed and Breakfast. The Poolside Tiki Bar was a huge plus, as was the food service on the beach. Really made us feel like we were "away" on vacation and not just a short drive down the shore. The staff was very accomodating and the rooms were crisp and clean. We had breakfast at the Sea Salt restaurant and lunch by the pool. But for dinners we went to top notch restaurants in town. Great location, just across from the beach. Great accomodations and great food. What more can you ask for. We will definitely be back again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kelly B
Parsippany, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2012

My family & I just returned from a 4 night stay at the Ocean Club. We heard a lot of wonderful things about it & thought we would give it a try. There were some good things, and some not so good things. First the good. For the most part the staff was wonderful. Dean, in particular, was wonderful. He was friendly and helpful and whenever you saw him he had a smile on his face & ask if we needed anything. He made us feel like we were staying in a 5 star resort. The location of the hotel was great. You could walk to all the restaurants, etc. with ease. Plus, what could be bad about having a pool at your doorstep & then a quick walk to the beach which you could see from your room.
Now the not so good. There were lots of little things. The rooms were just OK. They didn't seem renovated, rather repainted & recarpeted. The rooms were extremely dark. Certainly not enough lighting. The bathroom was teeny. Only one person could be in there at a time. With a family of four, that could be quite difficult. None of us slept for 4 nights because the air conditioning makes a loud bang every time it turns on & off. There is also a fan in the bathroom that runs 24/7 and is very loud. You can't turn it off. The food service was awful. Literally every time we ordered something - whether it be from the restaurant, the pool or the beach - something was wrong. They either forgot something or were out of something or bought 2 of the same item. We ordered from the beach on the first day. When the food came we gave our room # & were told we couldn't charge to our room & had to pay cash. She never told us this before we ordered & since we didn't have cash on us, my husband had to go back to the room to get $. We ordered a drink from the pool bar. It tasted like there was no rum in it so the next time we ordered, we asked the bartender to put an extra shot it. They charged us $8 dollars for it. Add that to the $10 for the drink & I had an $18 pina colada. If you want coffee in the morning, you have to pay $2 for it. When spending $500/night for a room it is almost insulting. All in all I would say it was a decent hotel. While the location of the hotel is perfect, for the services & room quality you get, it is way overpriced. If your expectations aren't that high, you probably won't be disappointed with all of the little annoyances.

3 Thank MindyB285
Jersey Shore, NJ
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2012

Just returned from our 5 day vacation at Ocean Club. Traveled with another family of 4, and booked 2 rooms together using 1 CC so we could be next to or near each other at the very least. I confirmed with them 2 times before arrival, and mentioned my wishes each time. Long story short, we had 2 rooms completely on opposite ends of hotel. Not the end of the world, but certainly not perfect. The rooms were clean, and the beds were nice. The beach on that side of town is much smaller than say near Congress Hall, but clean and nice as well. Beach service was a nice perk, but be warned - they take your chairs away at 5 PM! In August, I consider that the middle of the afternoon on the beach! And having paid $10 for an umbrella each day, it was a bit annoying! Had a fantastic passion fruit martini at the tiki bar one afternoon. And would have to agree with another reviewer that the service at front desk was lacking. Location was good. We mostly walked and rode bikes to everything.

3 Thank stacieharkavy
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2012

The hotel was hip. The front desk staff and bellhops seemed inconveinced by their jobs. The help at the pool, at the beach, and in in the restaurant were excellent.
We ate in the SeaSalt for breakfast and dinner. Both were excellent and the prices were consistent with other restaurants in Cape May.
Our only real complaint was the children. I work with children, we have a 9 year old(he was having Grandparent time while we were in Cape May) so I love kids. But the number of loud rude dirty children at the hotel was not consistent with the price or the sheek decor. I think when you come to a place like this your children should be incredibly well behaved or should be left at home. At one point there were two three year olds and a five year old smearing their ice cream sandwiches all over the coffee table at the pool and then standing on the table in the mess, all the while the mom was at the bar chain smoking and no one seemed to care. Another young girl started squirting my husband with a water pistol getting pool water in our drinks and all of our stuff wet; he ask where her parents were and she said she didn't know. These are just examples of the poorly behaved children. This is unacceptable in a super 8 let alone in a hotel with the prices of the Ocean Club.

• Stayed August 2012
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2012

If you are searching for an extremely family friendly beach hotel and you do not want to pay for airfare (or choose not to fly for whatever reason), this is an outstanding destination. Is it a five star? Absolutely not, but the grounds are four star. It is very nice hotel and I do not to wish to give any other impression. Just 'manage your own expectations.' I need not list the details that differentiate this from a five star as other reviewers already have (ie, loud AC, slow housekeeping etc). Personally, I think this is a great destination from any Northeast/Mid-Atlantic metro area. We came from the NYC area. I would also note, that I did not see a nicer hotel for families --- but one could be there, I just did not see it.

That said, for a family trip to Cape May this is first rate. The pool is great for kids (I literally stood in the deeper end directly adjacent to the shallow end where my youngest of 3 years old played for hours while my older 5 year old swam all around me). The beach staff is great, hotel provided chairs are available and my kids thoroughly enjoyed that as well. The beach is beautiful and literally across the street (no hotels are 'on the beach'). The food at the hotel was excellent as well.

As for Cape May itself -- great, great family destination. The whole town caters to families whether you are in a casual or fine dining restaurant and all the food is great. The town is a total throwback to quaint Americana -- if you like that, great place. If you prefer edgier etc, wrong place. We loved it and would totally do this entire trip again -- hotel included just do not got searching for the One & Only, Four Seasons etc.

Overall, loved my entire family trip.

Room Tip: If you want turn-down service, extra towels, pull out couch prepared for bed or anything from house...
2 Thank FieldingYost