“Great Labor Day Weekend”
Review of Ocean Club Hotel

and 1 more site!
Ocean Club Hotel
Ranked #16 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 9 September 2012

My husband, our 4 year old son, our 5 month old daughter and myself stayed 3 nights over the Labor Day weekend. We had an amazing time. The staff was wonderful;the front desk was very helpful, the pool staff very friendly. We found the food at the tiki bar delicious. We only had breakfast at the Sea Salt restaurant and it was good.
We had the pool side cabana room, we could order food, drinks right from our terrace from the tiki bar. Which was great since we have 2 small children. The room was very modern and clean. The bathroom was a bit small.
The pool area was very nice; the pool has a deep end and a waddling end for small children. The service at the beach was a real plus!! Again, especially with small children. We felt that the staff went out of their way to make our stay enjoyable, comfortable and relaxing.
The reason we didn't give it 5 stars is we felt that we paid $499/night + $20/night for our son + $10/night for a crib and they couldn't comp us some beach passes? or some coffee?
But I would definitely come back and would highly recommend the hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank mnabiel

Reviewed 4 September 2012

I certainly expected more given the room rate we just paid at this property ($469/night base rate + $10/night extra for my teen-age daughter, + $10/night for an in-room refrigerator). At those rates you would think they would provide complimentary coffee! Also, the walls were paper-thin and a good night's sleep was not possible thanks to the early morning screaming toddlers and the brigade of room maids. We were also very surprised that there is only one small elevator for the entire hotel and we had the same complaint with the tiny bathroom that I read in other reviews. It seemed like they scaled back a bit too much to be able to squeeze in more rooms. On the plus side the bed was very comfortable and the pool was quite nice. We ate dinner at the restaurant the first night we were there and the food was pretty good, as was lunch at the pool. However, not the relaxing end of summer vacation my family was expecting although seems a good choice for families with young children who like to run around screaming uncontrollably through- out the hotel and pool area.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank ExecMomx2
OCM_Management_Team, OCH Management at Ocean Club Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2012

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate you taking the time to write.

A Keurig Coffee Maker and Illy coffee is available to guests who book wet bar suites. Coffee is available for purchase at the restaurant for other room types and the price is fixed entirely by the restaurant.

Please know that the renovation was extensive and that the rooms were completely made over. However, the footprints of the rooms were not altered -- space was certainly not sacrificed to to squeeze in more rooms.

We wish you had brought the loud children you reference to our attention while you were in residence. While we are sure you understand that misbehaving children are not a reflection of the property, we are always willing to alert parents when their children are disrupting the peace and quiet of other guests.

We are happy you were pleased with the rest of the property and hope you are able to join us again in the future.

Reviewed 4 September 2012

I am starting my 6th week at the Ocean Club Hotel in Cape May, NJ. In that time, I have seen excellent service beginning when I arrived to see the hotel to decide if I wanted to stay here to write my novel. I knew it would take a large time commitment and I had to be sure that it was a positive place with excellent staff and services. I have not been disappointed. The front desk staff is amazing. They were informative, helpful, kind and sweet....all the time. I am so impressed with their continual excellent service and knowlege of Cape May, that I had to write a review. A special thank you to Melissa, Aurora, Russ, Sarah, Saranda and Frank and Melanie. I never had a problem with my room, in fact....I love my rooms. I have experienced a few different styles....staying here so long and making that decision spur of the moment. They are spotless...kudos to housekeeping especially Natasha, Karen and Novia who have consistently made my clean and helped me organize my room moves. Without Linda, in laundry, we would not have fresh towels...I appreciate all her hard work. The Tiki Bar staff is also excellent. They set a place for me daily to write. Thank you to John at the pool and bartenders Amin, Rick and Mark. Barbacks Chris and Igor are fantastic and new barback Nick has really taken to the job like a fish in water.

The restaurant food and the Sea Salt Restaurant itself is amazing. General Manager Amy and Chef Lou run the place like a well oiled machine. The food is eclectic and enticing and absolutely delicious. The servers are so knowlegable and dear....Donita, Anna, Pepita, MaryKay, Fetore, Elyse, Chandler, Jordan. There are many more..sorry if I missed you because you all are outstanding. Mara, in the evenings is a delight and so warm and helpful. The beach staff is truly hospitable. Nail and Durim help you with chairs and umbrellas and snacks and drinks....with a smile on their faces and warmth in their hearts.

Leo, the General Manager is so helpful. He knows every aspect of the hotel business and if you happen to have computer problems, he can solve them too, as can Russ at the front desk. This is important to a writer, because without my computer...I cannot work! Dee and Rita, also managers are hospitable, knowlegable and kind regarding the running of the hotel and making sure their guests are happy and cared for. This staff is incredible....way beyond what I would expect from a hotel. I will definitely be back year after year. I love it here.

Room Tip: I really like all the rooms....my favorite is the sundeck cabana because I have a covered cabana so...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank LindsayD203

Thank you for the review! We're so very happy our accommodations, services and staff have provided you with comfort and inspiration throughout your writing process. You have been a daily delight and we look forward to your novel being published!

Reviewed 4 September 2012

The lobby, hall way, elevator is best described as a "Truck Stop". Staff was not timely, things did not open on time. No coffee in your room. Food at Tiki Bar was not great. Outside of the hotel, Food,area is outstanding. Next time I will do the bed & breakfast along the shore line

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Josephli09

We are always displeased if a guest leaves unhappy and work hard to ensure that all guests are satisfied. We wish you could have provided some specifics in your review as to the source of your displeasure. We rely on constructive criticism to improve upon the property and generalities are difficult to decipher.

We wish you happy travels in the future and hope that you are able to try out other hotels in the area to form a basis of comparison.

Best regards,
OCH Management

Reviewed 2 September 2012

My husband, daughter and I stayed at the Ocean Club Hotel for four nights beginning August 26. It was our second time at the hotel as we had stayed last year. We had a wet bar suite which included a refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker, and sink. The positives about the hotel are that, like most Cape May hotels/motels, you are right across the street from the beach. Most rooms have a beachfront view. There is pool service and beach service which includes food and drink. They provide the chairs and towels at the beach so you don't have to bring them along with you on the trip. They have umbrellas at the beach but they charge you $10 for them which is ridiculous considering what you are paying for a room. I did not have any problems with any of the staff though others have mentioned this in other reviews. I also found the bed to be very comfortable. The negatives are that the bathrooms are small with little counter space for your toiletries. Also, my daughter sometimes had a hard time sleeping because there is about a 1 inch gap under the door to the room so she could hear all the hallway noise. Unfortunately, there are always people who are not considerate enough to keep their voices down when walking in hotels. All in all, I would recommend this hotel to those seeking an upscale, full service hotel in Cape May as I don't think there is any similar type of property. It is a place I would return to again if visiting Cape May.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on floor 3 or above for a good view of the ocean.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank LoveSun_and_Sand99
Reviewed 2 September 2012

The rooms are nice (albeit a bit small). The pool is nice. Unfortunately I can't say the same about the staff! Our phone didn't work. The safe broke twice as did our air conditioning. Everything did get fixed but we wasted our precious vacation time waiting around. When we complained at the front desk the guy just shrugged his shoulders and said "sorry". Meanwhile, another guest with similar issues was given a $50 gift certificate to use at the tiki bar.

On top of it all, the carpet in the hallway is filthy and stained. The paint on the doors is scratched; very dungy looking. No coffee makers in the room, but you can buy coffee from the restaurant; there is no room service so be prepared to schlep there in your pj's. And the bathroom makes nyc bathrooms look big!

Overall, I found the staff to be very rude and the accommodations lacking. I was very disappointed with my stay. Especially given the cost!

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Girl44nyc
Reviewed 1 September 2012

The poor experience started at the front desk. The woman did not say hello. Did not welcome us, or even look at us. We were early, so I asked if we could check in. She did not answer my question, just said "driver's license." I handed her my credit card, as well and she said "I don't need that, you're not getting in your room before 3."
We came back at 3:10 and the room still wasn't ready, so the same woman said we could wait by the pool and "promised" she would come get us in 20 minutes. After two expensive drinks - including a coke that was all ice poured by an amateur bartender - and 40 minutes of waiting, we went back to the front desk. The room was ready, they just couldn't be bothered to tell us.
The room was next to the ice machine, housekeepers lounge and vending and had a shower, not the tub we requested. Taking a nap was impossible with doors slammimg all around us.We called for a better room and were told they were full - though I booked weeks in advance. We then asked what they were going to do for us and they said "nothing." We said we wanted to check out and they said we would not get a refund. We stayed one night and went to a nearby hotel for the rest of the stay.
They did end up sending us a $50 credit to their overpriced restaurant, but we sent it back, We were done with them.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Colin K

We are always unhappy if a guest leaves dissatisfied. We appreciate feedback and use it wherever possible to improve upon the property. We're sure you can appreciate that check in time is a busy time, however, we will certainly ensure that our staff does better with the process going forward.

We do not have any record of a tub being requested, nor do we have a record of a credit being extended to you. We wish you well in your future travels and thank you for helping us to improve.