“Renovated Hotel with an identity crisis,”
Review of Ocean Club Hotel

and 1 more site!
Ocean Club Hotel
Ranked #14 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 25 June 2013

I now been here twice with extended family and experienced mixed results. I am not certain. What the hotel wants to be. The prices when including the attached Sea Salt restaurant are not cheap. The guests are a mix of folks with families and those who might enjoy their vacation more if not around children.

The options in Cape May pretty limited which is how this budget hotel attempted to renovate and reinvent itself as a pseudo upscale option. At $400 a night it is not outrageous but the service is a crapshoot. The staff seems genuine and wants to be helpful but they are pretty unsophisticated and they do not seem to really understand the hospitality business at times. Our room was not ready at check-in (3:00 pm). Our air conditioning was broken for the first night of the stay but they were very responsive about fixing it and the manager sent a bottle of champagne to our room to apologize. On the other side of things, our lunch by the pool took over an hour to be delivered and other requests, like additional towels or glasses were met with a grimace.

The rooms are small and the furnishings are nothing special but the view really is wonderful. The bathrooms are tiny but new.. The last ice age happened faster then the elevator so if you mind stairs this is not a good option for the higher floors.

The top floor is an adult only floor. When my wife took our eight year old up to visit his grandmother's room on the sixth floor a cranky old guest accosted her and told her no children were allowed on the floor.

The pool is relatively large with a nice bar but the guests are an interesting mix of older folks and families with young children. The children behaved like normal children in the pool and this seemed to annoy many of the older guests.

In summary I would recommend it but folks should have their expectations set up front.

5  Thank MWise

Reviewed 24 June 2013

My family stayed in June. We had 3 rooms. 2 were wetbar and 1 was a king bed suite. All rooms were very nice and great view of the ocean. Having an infant, I highly recommend the wetbar suite. It was nice having a sink area to wash bottles and baby dishes. The staff was very friendly.The pool was very nice and heated. This summer has much cooler nights so it is nice to have a heated pool. The pool also has an area for kids that is only 2 feet deep. Breakfast was fantastic. We only ate breakfast at the hotel so I can't comment on how the restaurants are for lunch or dinner. The staff at the beach was excellent too. It is nice to have beach chairs and towels set up for you. A big thank you to Neil (I hope I have his correct name) from the Sea Salt restaurant. My mother mentioned to him that she was sad she could no longer walk on the beach and put her feet in the water due to her very weak heart. He mentioned to us that they had a guest a few weeks ago who rented a beach wheelchair. I googled it and we found a medical supply company who rents the beach wheelchairs so we jumped at renting one. It was to big for the room so the staff at the front desk stored it in the office. I can't believe my mother after so many years was able to put her feet in the water again. It was $60 for 1 day or $100 for 2 days. It was the best money I ever spent. We now have great pictures of her on the beach watching her grandkids play in the sand.
My only negatives I had were the bathrooms are very small and there is only 1 elevator that is slow. For us, we just walked up and down the stairs. My parents would have to take the elevator and we would when using the stroller. Not a big deal at all to wait a few more minutes. Also not a big deal to use the stairs as we are very active anyway. Unfortunately we had to check out a day early because my son got sick and was teething. To those who post that they were mad they were charged when they decided to leave early should realize that is pretty much every hotel has that policy. My husband and I travel a lot and are always aware to the policies. We were the ones who decided to check out that evening so my son could sleep in his own crib and we can take him to the Dr in the am. When taking a walk around Cape May, this hotel has to be the nicest and most modern.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 314. It was nice because it was an end room and had an extra window in the living...
1  Thank sldrobnak
Reviewed 24 June 2013

We decided to pay just a little more for a more modern hotel compared to the B&B's all over cape may. We got exactly what we were hoping for. A clean hotel with nice rooms, friendly service and a beautiful private pool overlooking the ocean. John and Marina did a great job taking care of us at the pool.

Only a 10 minute walk from the main shopping area and across the street from the beach, couldn't pick a better location. I would definitely come back.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 15 June 2013

We stayed at the Ocean Club for 2 nights and over looked some imperfections - not even mentioning the one and only elevator was out of order part of our stay and the AC was very noisy plus apparently our door lock was broken and we were not told. Instead some guy simply barged in to repair it - didn't even knock. A call to our room before his intrusion would have been appreciated. But because we're nice people we didn't complain - in fact gave them all high marks. THEN two days after we got home we received a picture of a dresser with a glass top and a small piece of the glass that had broken off was sitting on top. They charged us room damage of $150. I immediately called and the manager told me we probably didn't notice doing this damage. We certainly would have noticed if we broke glass. We went back and forth and finally she did take the charge off our card. During this call I mentioned the repairman incident and again she tried to blame us for being in the room earlier than check in. We never asked to have early check in and certainly assumed when we were assigned a room the lock worked. We would hesitate to go back after this experience.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Mary B
Reviewed 14 June 2013

After reading the reviews here we decided to try the hotel for my cousin's wedding. The pictures are highly deceiving. This place is run down. A $267 room gets you a view of a wall, a standup shower with no tub, no room service and off-site gym. The closest place to get sodas is a wawa that's 20 blocks away. When I complained that the room was overpriced for what it is the manager just said "I disagree." No "I'm sorry" or "How can we improve your stay?" Hell, I would have taken a free banana. Super lame. I don't know what the positive reviews are about. And the hallways are just depressing. It's a crappy motel with hotel prices. Beware.

13  Thank Thistlepop
OCM_Management_Team, OCH Management at Ocean Club Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2013

Thank you for your feedback. We are continually seeking ways to improve upon our services and offerings.

We apologize if you were unaware that we have soda/water vending machines stationed on alternating floors (they are notated in your room information booklet and on signs posted around the hotel). This would have alleviated the need for you to travel to Wawas for drinks. In addition, although we do not currently offer room service, guests can dine in their rooms via take-out from our on-site restaurant.

We're not quite sure what view you are speaking about, but all of our rooms offer either full or partial ocean views and private balconies. Some of our rooms also include bathtubs, although your room type selection did not.

Please rest assured that our rates are competitive and comparable to other hotels along the beach, and we encourage you to return to Cape May to try out some of the other hotels in the area so that you compare our offerings to others. We hope that you enjoyed the wedding that you attended and wish you happy travels in the future.

Best regards,

OCH Management

Reviewed 14 June 2013

A very nice stay was marred by my checkout and encounter at the front desk with a manager named Russ. We had booked our stay on priceline.com and on the info they gave us it stated that "If cancelled or modified later (than 14 days prior to arrival), 50 percent of the total price of the reservation will be charged." We checked out a day early so based on that description the assumption was that our last day would be charged at 50%. Apparently this conflicts with the Ocean Park policy. When I mentioned the difference in verbiage & how confusion could arise this front desk manager was very argumentative and said that priceline is not affiliated with the hotel and the hotel is not responsible for whatever they write. He also called priceline and other such websites "scavengers." I found this very demeaning.. He also was demeaning to a new front desk worker who was in training & had told me initially that I would not be charged at all for the last night. Needless to say, I paid everything in full. It's a shame when a nice hotel is marred by poor customer service from one individual.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank JerseyGirl7364
Reviewed 7 June 2013

My second time at Ocean Club was better than the first! The rooms are very clean and have a nice look to them. The beds and comforter were so relaxing I fell asleep instantly, didn't even miss my own bed. My wife and I felt the best part of our trip was taking in the sun poolside and having drinks at the tiki bar. The poolside service was good and the food outstanding. Not pre-frozen like other establishments. I paid a little more, but felt ok with it because of the quality of the hotel and the professionalism of the staff. The second day we decided to go to the beach. The hotel also offers food service and beverages at the beach as well. I must say the service was fast. All in all, we had a blast and enjoyed our time there. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple