“"Fantastic Hotel"”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Mickleton, New Jersey
“"Fantastic Hotel"”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I have been vacationing with my husband and two daughters each year here since Ocean Club first opened in 2010-2011 and its time for me to say "Thank you". When I made our reservation this year (2014) with Dee and Rita, they were very accommodating for us even though I had called late in the season - Thank you!!!!!. The staff was more than happy to let me know that we can utilize their facility before check in - Thank you!!! This gave us time to enjoy the beach and pool before check in. Down at the beach, the attendant was very nice and he offered us complimentary towels and beach lounge chairs but to rent the umbrella cost $10. The pool is amazing with having a kiddie end that is 1 ft with a rope separating the deep end which is only 6 ft was perfect for us. During check in, the young lady offered complementary beach buckets w/ shovels for my girls - Thank you!!!. Ocean Club does not charge for parking and there's plenty of parking in the lot. Our room was spacious, well organized and very, very clean. Housekeeping does a great job!!!! All the staff seemed very happy and were courteous and helpful with a smile. The poolside server was very nice and she apologized for being tied up with another guest. The french fries and virgin strawberry daiqiuries hit the spot. At night and in between our outings, we enjoyed just sitting on the balcony listening to the music and hearing the ocean waves. At check out, the manager Russ asked "how was your stay?" I told him that this was one of the BEST hotels. As I went on about our stay, another gentleman by the name of Bob was very happy to hear about our stay. It was very nice to meet the 2 gentleman. I want to say Thank you!! Thank you!! Thank you Ocean Club for all that you do to make our stay there a safe and fun vacation. The Richmond Family

Green Features: The hotel offers glass beverage cups vs plastic, 1 ply vs 2 ply toilet tissue, recycle trash bins, online brochures vs paper, room keys control the temperature in the room environment vs constant energy usage - very energy efficient.
3 Thank Tammy R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
Princeton NJ
Reviewed 29 July 2014

As an avid traveler, London, Paris, all over Florida, Miami, the Keys, Vegas, Cali, the Caribbean x 6, NYC, Canada, Niagara Falls, AC, cruises, etc--felt this place exceeded our expectations. It took the "stuffiness" out of the typical Cape May experience. The rooms were immaculate, the bathroom was a tad small, but it is a refurbished hotel. If you're spending too much time in your room, too bad for you!! The pool and the tiki vibe are fabulous. The pool is immaculate, the pool assistant, John was on point. The wait staff and the beach side service was top-notch. The proximity, right across from the beach is perfect. I have stayed at other places in Cape May--and someone mentioned a bartender was rude..? Let me tell you, I did not encounter one ounce of snobbery as can be encountered in Cape May. We went for our 10th Anniversary and my fiance's birthday. Highly recommend. I didn't even mention the food--fabulous!!!. Would def. return!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Aries24
State College, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

I'm not sure who would consider anything about this place high end. I'm writing after we checked out a day early yesterday because we had such a bad experience. It has a great updated lobby/reception area, but the room was nothing like we saw online.

Our room averaged 78degrees even though we had it set at 65. We were across from the ice machine which woke us up several times during the night. Our room was tiny, not even enough room to sit our suitcase anywhere to open. Our "side ocean view" was more like a crappy view of the periwinkle next door. The bed was horrible and uncomfortable. My husband is over 6 feet tall and was basically against the box springs because the mattress wasn't substantial.

If you must go to Cape May, My advice is go to Congress Hall!! We inquired and the rate would've been about the same. They showed us the room. It was large and gorgeous with an ocean view!! Ocean club is not worth anywhere near $500/night.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Milla3131
Hummelstown PA
Reviewed 24 July 2014

My husband and I stayed here the last weekend of June on a last minute anniversary getaway without the kids. It was amazing! Rooms are updated but a little small ( we only were there to sleep or enjoy a cocktail before dinner on the balcony). Pool is amazing and talk about great service by the pool boy and waitresses! They didn't want you to go without anything- towels, chairs, drinks, food... You name it they are there to serve you. They also have bands that play on Sundays by the pool, great entertainment! We ate breakfast at the restaurant there, Sea Salt and it was great food and a great view. My husband and I will definitely be back and probably will bring the kids. The pool is nice for them because there's a section where it's only a foot deep. Another bonus is the chairs and towels on the beach! One less thing for you to haul along on your trip for more laundry, etc. they did charge $10 for the umbrellas on the beach and they also had coffee and muffins on the beach. If you can look beyond the smaller room and slow elevator check this place out. I definitely recommend this place for a couple or family getaway. We can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: The rooms that are ocean view are smaller but I think they're more private.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Lauren M
Woodbury, Connecticut
Reviewed 15 July 2014

I went on this trip with my family. The hotel was modern, clean and the staff was welcoming. The rooms were luxurious. The beach was right across from the hotel & beach staff set up beach chairs & towels for us. The pool was heated and huge, also across from the beach. All of the days we went to the beach first and then, after a quick walk across the street, we swam in the pool. There is a Tiki bar at the pool and at both the pool and the beach there were waitresses wandering about constantly, seeing if there is any food or beverage you need. we ate at the pool nearly everyday. Sadly, my family and I didn't get to eat at the Ocean Club's restaurant Sea Salt, but you definitely should. Although,even though we had the Junior Suite, the bathroom was very small, but as we were checking out we asked one of the staff members if there was any room that had a bigger bathroom and she explained kindly. I believe if you are doubting this hotel because of a small bathroom, that you should completely overlook that flaw. This modern hotel with the friendly staff that is always willing to go above and beyond your needs, is right in the center of Cape May (perfect location) and is just the right hotel for you and your family!

Room Tip: Some of the handicap rooms have bigger bathrooms.
Green Features: organic toiletries, towel reuse program, energy efficient light bulbs and much more!
2 Thank KileyyB
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We just returned from a 10-day stay at the Ocean Club Hotel. It was such a fantastic vacation, we've been saying, "What happens in Cape May stays in Cape May!" Everything about the hotel was top notch. The staff is superbly efficient, accommodating, and so well-trained. We loved the full service at the beach which included chaises, towels, umbrellas (for a small fee) and an optional light menu featuring iced coffee, ceviche, quesadillas, hummus, cheese trays, fruit plates, etc. The food was prepared at Sea Salt, the hotel's restaurant, and was always fresh and delicious (the staff runs back to get it -- the food doesn't sit in coolers on the beach). The waiter at the beach was excellent, kind, and hospitable. We equally enjoyed the poolside tiki bar with awesome service, as well. The man in charge of the pool and towels was outstanding -- making sure that guests were equipped with chaises and fresh towels upon arrival. He also accommodated those who wanted chaises in the sun or shade, doing his best to service everyone's needs. On Sundays, the tiki bar hosted a steel drum player. For a moment, we thought we were back in Waikiki! The rooms were beautifully renovated including beds that were the most comfortable we've ever experienced in a hotel. The staff at the front desk, those who cleaned the rooms and hallways, and those who worked at the Sea Salt restaurant were all outstanding, as well.

We want to thank our favorite servers: Justin (awesome service at the beach), Nile and Milan (in charge of chaises and towels on the beach), Bob (the best bartender), John (head of pool service), Plumena (the most excellent waitress who remembered our favorite drinks each day) and Liz (who never hesitated to assist in serving us a great bottle of wine on the veranda)! You all contributed to making our stay a fantastic and memorable one!

We walked to many shops and restaurants most days and evenings, and on others we decided to drive. We vacationed in Cape May during the two busiest weeks of the season, with Friday being the 4th of July and the following Monday the official holiday. I felt as though the staff at Ocean Club handled the crowd exceptionally well, still managing to make us feel special. We enjoyed the complimentary BBQ on the 4th and the awesome view from our balcony and the veranda on many evenings. We left feeling rested, relaxed, and spoiled! We will undoubtedly return to Ocean Club...perhaps even later this summer!

Room Tip: We liked the room with two queen beds better than the king room with a pull-out, even though the lat...
1 Thank Jbswrite
Queens
Reviewed 14 July 2014

When you think of Cape May - this hotel is not what you thinking of. This trendy lil hotel is Cape May's best attempt at upscale and they charge you for it. My room was an ocean view suite on the 4th floor, the view was unbeatable. My balcony over looked the ocean and the pool. If you want a pool chair get down their early - or tip your pool boy to hold one for you. The bartenders were great - when I requested my favorite vacation drink (banana monkey they were willing to make it if I could supply the bananas) - I had to go on a bit of a hike for them b/c Sea Salt wanted to charge me $4 per banana. INSANE. Besides that - good location and comfortable stay. However, it's no Ritz but the prices are. Some of the front desk people are cold and mechanical - front desk hospitality classes could help that.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple