Our family has stayed here several times, based purely on the fact that the hotel is across the street from the beach, and they have a pool . Those are the only 2 redeeming qualities about the place, and even they are starting to pale in comparison to the negatives. The staff is consistently rude, year after year, with the attitude that they are doing you a favor by letting you stay there -- instead of treating you like a valued guest. Every year at check in -- without fail -- there is one person working the desk, and if you are unlucky enough to walk in after someone else, the Periwinkle staff take their sweet time. They don't seem to care how long you stand there waiting for them to finish, despite the fact that, if you are like most families, you've just had a long ride with kids in the car and are anxious to get to your room. This year was a doozy -- as I waited behind another family being checked in, there actually was a second person in the office (first time ever). She was on the phone -- on a prolonged hold -- and clearly would have had the time to at least start our check-in process. Instead, neither woman even glanced our way, not even to say "hello", "welcome" or a simple "we'll be with you in a minute". Both just completely ignored us. When the family in front of us left, still neither woman acknowledged us! When the woman checking in guests did eventually meet my eye, she didn't even greet me, just stuck her hand out for my paperwork! When my husband asked for a key to get our kids in the room, she actually wasn't going to give it to us, because we had not yet provided a Visa for incidentals, despite the fact that I just handed her a ton of cash to cover our stay. She finally acquiesced when we made it clear how ridiculous we felt that was and had young children who needed the bathroom.
Their recent renovation was very poorly done. Now the closet is half the size, and the kitchen counter/cabinets double the size. Not what young families need, it was so much better when it was the reverse. This was made even worse by the fact that they completely got rid of the chest of drawers for clothes that was under the TV, and replaced it with an open shelf TV stand. There is absolutely no where in the room to put clothes. The beds were replaced with new ones that have HUGE wooden frames surrounding the mattress -- so that not only do the two beds take up way more space than they used to, but now everyone bangs their legs on the frames as they walk by. Lastly, the old table, which was sufficient for a family of 4 to eat, was replaced by a tiny, round café table with 2 chairs.
This hotel was visited by the TV show Hotel Impossible. In the episode, the host told the owners that they were rude to their guests and had to be nicer, and gave them a lot of renovation/design suggestions. The hotel owners didn't take ANY of the advice from the TV show. They were no nicer than previous years, and none of the illogical changes to the room were the suggestions of the TV show
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- As Cape May Hotels go the Periwinkle Inn is top of the line! Cape May, NJ is Americas very first seashore resort, and it is the home of the oceanfront Periwinkle Inn Hotel. Cape May is located at mile zero on the Garden State Parkway. The Periwinkle Inn is located on famous Beach Avenue, with breathtaking views of the Atlantic Ocean and steps from the white sands of Cape May Beach! All boutique-like rooms offer modern amenities including flat screen TV's, free wi-fi, microwaves, refrigerators and ocean views with private balconies or patios. We have 7 different styles of rooms including 2 room suites. Our Five star outdoor pool is heated and includes free pool/beach towels. We offer new chic designs while giving our guests an unmatched level of service. We care and we do everything to service our guests and provide wonderful vacation memories. Our hotel attracts travelers from all over the world. The Periwinkle Inn has a distinctive waterfront location, and is right where the Cape May promenade starts. We are located in the heart of Cape May City around many restaurants, sightseeing and everything else Cape May's got to offer. With a large heated pool, shuffleboard court, sandbox, BBQ grills surrounded by flowering gardens, we provide an ideal location for your Cape May family vacation. Stay with us, you will call it your home away from home. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Periwinkle Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Periwinkle Hotel Cape May
- Periwinkle Motel Cape May
- Periwinkle Inn Cape May, New Jersey