“Don't go here”

Periwinkle Inn
Ranked #24 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 28 May 2014

My sister and I booked the Periwinkle Inn for this Memorial Weekend. The front guest staff was very rude. I was not informed when booking the room that we would be charged an additional charge of $20 per child. I was told every room no matter how large is charged per child. So that was $40 extra per day. They also informed me that I could not check in until after 2 PM (I arrived at noon) - the hotel was empty. The office smelled of smoke and my first room was very small for 4 people. They would only bring 2 towels per day even though we constantly reminded the front desk that we were 4 people in the room. Just 2 pool towels also. We were than told when we requested towels upon our last day that we had a "red flag" next to our room indicating that we using too many towels and may be charged. Ridiculous... The Manager is not accomodating nor friendly. If you have a problem...all she tends to say is "well we have your credit card on file and I can bill you for this anyway." The pool has no lounge chairs by the pool but outside of the pool area which is not very comfortable nor accomodating. The office staff does not know much about the area - when we questioned about the trolly that runs down the street daily - she said "I have no idea". My suggestion: shop around for a nicer more customer service friendly place...you can find it...

Room Tip: Dont go here!!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
33  Thank 1,924
PeriwinkleManager, Manager at Periwinkle Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

We are committed to excellence and sincerely apologize that your stay did not meet your expectations. In all our published data, that Check In is from 3 PM to 8PM. Our Check Out time is 11AM, therefore, early arrivals cannot always be accommodated allowing for housekeeping to make up the rooms. All our publish all rates are based on double occupancy and the cost for additional persons will be $20.00 per person.

At the time of placing your reservation, if our customers inform us of the number persons staying in the room, we then let our customers know which room style best meet their needs and provide adequate towels for the number of persons staying in the room.

Whenever we receive negative comments, we immediately investigate and take corrective action. Our main goal to provide service to all our guests and make their holiday as enjoyable as possible. Thank you for the feedback which allows to improve our services everyday .

Reviewed 20 May 2014

My fiancé and I had an amazing four night stay here this past weekend. The hotel has a beautiful exterior with very well kept grounds and friendly staff members. The rooms were beautiful, very clean and cozy. Has a great quiet location away from the hustle and bustle but within a reasonable walking distance to the downtown area. Housekeeping did an amazing job! Each day we would leave for breakfast and return to the room about an hour later and the room would be immaculate. We had a tough time leaving because it felt like home to us! Management has even offered to work with us on reserving discounted block rooms for our wedding in 2016. We will definitely be returning to this hotel hopefully in the near future!

• Stayed: May 2014
3  Thank ljohnson6032
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Went here for 3 nights last summer and I only have two words to say. DONT GO. The people there were rude and are against changing anything in their hotel that was there like 30 years ago. I felt like I was in solitary confinement in the rooms and the beds were crap. I actually planned to stay 4 nights but it had to move to the hotel next door because I couldn't take it anymore. I hope you heed this advice and the advice of others and not go to this outdated, rude hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013
30  Thank Dillonthepic09
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Newly renovated hotel, right on Beach Avenue in Cape May, New Jersey. We stayed on the off season so pricing was somewhat reasonable. Rooms were very clean and updated. Bedding was very comfortable. 2nd and 3rd floor rooms have a great view of the ocean. This hotel is nicely located, within walking distance of great bars , restaurants, and shopping. We booked the room last minute and were surprised on how helpful the front desk was. We will defiantly be going back next year.

Room Tip: Better ocean view from 2nd and 3rd floors.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Ron P
Reviewed 29 October 2013

People need to stop being so mean to the people in this hotel, because it's not as bad as they make it seem to be. The rooms are upgraded really nicely, it's just that it's now more modern and upscale versus a place to have your 20 children with you for a cheap price. I personally like the rooms and bathrooms. The furniture is modern and the bathroom has really nice tile. If you're not blind, it's not hard to see the drawers under the bed for storage....
The biggest problem with this place for us was NO CREDIT CARDS ACCEPTED. CASHHH Only!
It was not pleasant to drive here, with maybe $150 in your pocket, and being greeted with "We can't let you stay in your room unless you can give another $800 in cash to complete the reservation." Uhhhhhhh... who just has $800 in their pockets nowadays? After somehow convincing all the local banks to let us withdraw the amount, our stay was good afterwords. Some people mentioned that the hotel staff were rude. This is true, but I could see why. With the 100 guests a day yelling at them because of the cash only policy, I'd be pretty rude and miserable working there too.
If they make recommended changes for next year, I'd consider giving this place another try. We all try and fail, but learn from the mistakes, which make us better, and this place being the best in Cape May could be the result.

Room Tip: The two queen room offers a lot more room than the twin/queen room and isn't a significant price...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
13  Thank travelerjp98
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Excuses excuses excuses. Anthony from Hotel Impossoble was right when he nicknamed that woman Miss Excuse. Read all of the replies on here! That's all these people are full of. Why are there no lounge chairs by the pool? For the safety of children - if that is not the worst excuse I've ever heard I don't know what is. Oh wait. Yes, I do. We don't accept credit cards because the more cards we swipe the more percentage the company charges us off our bottom line. Then look into a different credit card machine you frickin idiots!!!!!! They only accept cash because: A. They do not refund cash when you are ready to leave when you are fed up with their crappy establishment and B. They are probably not claiming 100% of their income.

Shady business. Do not stay here. Go somewhere else. The rooms make you clostraphobic, the walls are paper thin, there are NO lounge chairs by the pool so expect to lie on the cement, wifi doesn't work, you're lucky if the AC in your room works! The staff is RUDE, and you have to pay for your entire stay in cash. If you want to leave early you will not be refunded on any nights you are not staying.

RUN to the hotel next door!!!!

Stayed: August 2013
55  Thank ErinMarie22
Reviewed 22 October 2013

My Family and I have been going to Cape May for many years. Many times in the past I have had to go back to reviews to remember WHY we have never stayed here. I do remember we stayed at Summer Station (which is great) and decided we wanted to extend our stay in Cape May but they already booked our room after our 7 days. We stopped by the Periwinkle and yes I do remember the rudeness and ONLY CASH, so that was the end of that. I was so excited to see them getting the help they DESPERATLY need on Hotel Impossible last night. Besides the Son I can't believe the patience Anthoney had with the Mother and Daughter and stuck it out. But now I am so angry seeing what a WASTE OF TIME it was from the reviews and what I read as the show was ending. They REDID the lobby after the show left. It was Beautiful! So many hotels that could really have used their help and these people get all the help this Man could give them and NOTHING has changed. Stay at The Grand right next door or Summer Station. You usually can't go wrong.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family